Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:12 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

12 months in-door? and no cabin fever? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That's not what the OP wrote. Hurricanes have always occurred when oceanic/atmospheric conditions were right and they always will while oceans exist. What the OP actually surmised was that climate change probably influences them, not that it causes them! Oh, don't forget to add ocean warming/expansion, glacial and polar ice melt, and resulting sea level rise into the mix! Coastal FL and much of the Eastern seaboard will still be in the crosshairs; the impacts are less melodramatic.
Exactly. Florida has always suffered from hurricanes. Thankfully we can now prepare for them and leave if we have to. Climate change has made the conditions that lead to hurricanes and major hurricanes most likely to happen. So yes we will have more intense hurricanes in our future.

So no if you don’t like the reality that you might experience one or that you might have to evacuate every so often 5hen Florida is not the place for you.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
That article is over two years old 06/17
Yep ....sorry. I don’t pay much attention to it anymore. My winters show no sign of getting warmer and neight do the summers. And Co2 is added to greenhouses to make the plants grow better. Its not a horrible dangerous gas. I think most people think C02 and CO are the same.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Florida does not have hurricanes every year. Some years they may get a tropical storm(s) and no hurricanes. Some years they may get nothing; not even a tropical storm (2011 is an example). And some years it is like they are in the bullseye for hurricanes. No way of knowing in advance how any one year is going to play out. If you live there, you just learn that on June 1st you start keeping an eye on what is going on in the tropics (especially when you get to the last part of August).
If I lived in florida or any of the hurricane states, I would live in a reinforced concrete Dome house, sitting on telephone poles 12 feet above the ground with 1/4 inch steel shutters.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:27 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Yep ....sorry. I don’t pay much attention to it anymore. My winters show no sign of getting warmer and neight do the summers. And Co2 is added to greenhouses to make the plants grow better. Its not a horrible dangerous gas. I think most people think C02 and CO are the same.
It’s also a gas that traps heat if it gets in the atmosphere. As we deforest the planet there are less trees to absorb it and thus the amount of it in the atmosphere increases and thus trapping more heat.

So the problem is two fold with this gas. We are producing much more of it and we are removing the trees 5hat would absorb it.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
69 Degrees year round...Ahhh! Now you're talking.
Ahh... you want San Francisco. Weather is at the beginning of the 11:00 news since its always exactly the same. May daughter lived there and simply can’t remember when anything happened because coming from the east, we tend to peg events to the seasons. There are none in SF or Berkeley(which is where she actually lived.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yippee! For me the snow bird affect is horrible - houses sit empty for 6 mo and the folks do not care about schools etc as they are not raising families there. They jack up home prices as they come from where people make much more money, and squawk about any raise in taxes to better the area, plus they want their vote to suit them. It is even more than money- they try to change our culture to the northern frozen attitudes, they have. Please do stay home.
Its a pain for the community. Living in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Acadia National Park, we have too many empty houses in the winter time. Of course it keeps burglaries away from people who actually live here when there are so many snowbird houses to choose from.

When we told locals we were moving here, the first thing they asked is whether we were going to live here all year around. When we said yes, we were suddenly part of the club.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yeah, actually you have all year to prepare. Winter storms are a normal part of the weather there. They are not abnormal or unusual. You know you are going to have winter storms every winter, no question about it.
Yeah.... My boat guy finally got around to being ready to put my boat in the water in early August(we had stuff to have done and so did he---it wasn’t his fault), but then I had to say no cause it was time to get ready for winter. I had six cords of wood to stack and get under cover, and a bunch of other things to get done by mid October. Last year a combination of a too hot summer and a too cold fall, and a recurrnce of my chronic Lyme disease, and two weddings far away in October, let me make excuses about getting ll the wood stacked.

We had a very cold and wet/icy winter. By March I still had a full cord and 1/2 left(plenty) but it wasn't stacked, and the blue tarps leaked the water/ice into the pile. In March I was out there with a pick axe trying to get my wood out.

As winter approaches, we have stuff to do so that we are fully ready for whatever we get.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

We just have a lot more people and development to be destroyed. Old H's used to not do the damage because they hit empty lands.
Thats the hidden gorilla in the room no one will talk about. Its not global warming, its excess population living in places that are not save from Mother Nature.

Cut back the population to 1950 levels and things will be real nice.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What's to prepare for a winter storm? That's a powder day. I'm in the ski area parking lot for first chair.
You’re kidding right? Most of our preparation is FOR WINTER.

It all about gear. The right car; the right tires; the right heating equipment and fuel; the right boots; the right icers for the boots; the right gloves and coat; the right cover for your driveway if you have one(asphalt is better than stones; the right windows and interior covers in case of sub zero temperatures; the right generator for when the power goes out due to an ice storm in January for three days; the right size snow blower and the ethenol-free gas for it; the right fill up of salt in the bin for the driveway, it goes on. Other that placing the cars, putting the plastic covers over the windshield, getting gas for the snowblower, and starting it up, bringing in wood, most of the snow prep is tken place in September and October. Last yer it started snowing in mid November.

I’ve been here for 8 winters and every year I learn something new. Before that I lived in PA for 61 years. Same storms: just not as cold for not as long. I start running the woodstove in mid September and continue until about June 1. In Pa, it was late October to Early April.

I was in San Antonio for a wedding on November 5. We left by plane on the 6th: it was 73 in San Antonio, Tx and 37 in Bangor, Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement