Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,819,080 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Hung fongs Americanized chineese food...Sweet and sour pork and Beef and Brocoli type dishes...I cant even find those types anymore, but where can I find the traditional noodle and clay pot type dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
PF Changs is not Chinese.

Formosa is part of the Mencius family of restaurants. Food was always = to the Fred. location.

Taipei is part of a mini-chain including the nearby Sushihana. They have been there since at least the late 80's or very early 90s.

really, do we need to split hairs here? I mean, sheesh! For a city with such limited chinese restaurants, there sure are a lot of chinese food purists here. IMHO, PF Changs is asian-influenced, it's delicious, and that's good enough for me!

Also, Taipei is very good. We had one in Houston (on 45 N near The Woodlands). Loved it.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

26 posts, read 58,341 times
In my opinion, The Ming Tree was completely tasteless food doused in MSG. I could not believe all the components of my lunch combo completely lacked flavor to me. "How did they do that?" I wondered. In my opinion, the food was just awful and may possibly have led to stomach discomfort within the same 24 hour period. In my opinion, the quality of the ingredients was as cheap as you can get, and I perceived the beef to be rubbery and fatty, couldn't chew it & wasn't going to swallow it either.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,083,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
That would be nice but there is not a good Asian population here to have a China town, or something even close to what Austin, Dallas, and Houston has. I would be happy if we have something similar to what Austin has.

Typically, most Asians like trendy and moderns things and SA just don’t cut it for them so it is not a big draw for Asians to relocate here.

You have got to be kidding, when I was in Austin last year, at a Health food convention, couldn't find a decent chinese restaurant. It took us more than a hour to find something. It wasn't that great.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,529,501 times
I just like fried rice with an egg roll and maybe some Hot Sour soup.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM

810 posts, read 1,418,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
You have got to be kidding, when I was in Austin last year, at a Health food convention, couldn't find a decent chinese restaurant. It took us more than a hour to find something. It wasn't that great.
You obviously did not know where to look then. There is a China town off Lamar now. Chinatown Austin - Home

Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Take off "Hsiu Yu" on Broadway and 410 off your list.
I just got the "house chicken" and it was a flour breaded chicken cut up with yellow rise and red sauce for $8.

I was very dissapointed.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,601,084 times
Quattro72 is right! There is indeed a Chinatown off Lamar.

Dopo is right! I had an American friend tell me Hsiu Yu is so wonderful, so I went there, it was awful.

I think I'll just go back to China for a few weeks this summer for real food, I just don't know how much more I can take here in terms of the food.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

172 posts, read 466,850 times
Has anybody tried China Sun on Naco Perrin? I love it. The entrees are always fresh and the price is right and the portions are great. Maybe not the best in San Antonio but its definitely up there. New owners at this restaurant.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM

57 posts, read 104,320 times
I've not read all the posts, but I know I saw one... Ding How is the best!

The shrimp toast and fried won-tons are the BEST!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio