Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Here's a different take on the "flake factor".

I think there are a lot of people who think it's nicer to say, "Oh yeah, I'll be there", and then not show up, versus saying to you directly, "No, I'm not interested in getting together with you."

And it's not just a California thing. Even in New York, where the stereotype is that people are very direct in their communication, I doubt most New Yorkers would say to your face, "I'm not interested in going to your party."

But I also know that most people would rather have someone lie to them and say, "Oh, I'm busy that night" (when they're really not), than to say, "Oh sure, I'd love to come", and then not show up.

So, maybe we should give the flake a break. He (or she) is just trying not to offend you, even if his intentions are totally misguided.
Then they need to learn to think beyond immediate gratuity.

All that aside though, what about when the person making the plans is doing the flaking? For instance, I recall when someone said "let's meet for lunch tomorrow at (name of place) at 1!" So then the next day @ 1 comes and I showed up and they didn't. I called them but they didn't pick up. There is no excuse for this, and this was hardly an isolated incident -- and it wasn't only with this person that something like this happened, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM

349 posts, read 1,545,238 times
Same w/kids birthday parties. People don't rsvp and then everyone shows up with all their siblings, parents, grandma, aunt. I usually buy lots of food but have been known to order pizza to be delivered to the pool or park because lots of people show up unexpectedly.

In Japan they are not laid back and honor commitments but if they say "maybe" or "I'll see", that almost definately means no.

Lived in Hawaii and thought they were even more flakes over there. Also in Thailand we had some wierd flakey experiences. Maybe it's the warm weather beach atmosphere.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 AM

75 posts, read 199,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
According to who? Naomi Campbell?

If I was having a dinner party starting at 7pm and you showed up at 8pm, I'd consider you to be f***in rude.
I was thinking of a regular party, not a dinner party. Yeah, if you're having dinner and it starts at 7PM, then be on time. Though I would still start the dinner at 7:15PM or even 7:30pm to give people extra time. Now if I tell people dinner will start promptly at 7:00PM, I'd expect them to show up early or right on time. But I would definently emphasize the promptly part so they know.

As for "According to who?", it just seems intuitive to me, after throwing and going to many parties over the years.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,238 times
I'm not sure if this counts as a "flake" thing but I was talking to my two neighbors that are transplants from Minn. & Ohio. They both said that San Diegan's also cut out friendship ties easier if they:

a) no longer work together
b) move to a different area
c) have a slight misunderstanding
d) haven't seen each other in several months

According to them, this is unheard of in the midwest. That they are friends for life and that people here have a very casual "whatever" attitude regarding friendships. That they "come and go".

Old 01-31-2009, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,244 times
I think the deal is San Diego is a very clique city that does not like outsiders. I would move

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeppy8 View Post
I think the deal is San Diego is a very clique city that does not like outsiders. I would move
That's not true at all, and then you top it off with giving lousy advice by just telling someone to move.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 AM

256 posts, read 736,635 times
San Diego is the loneliest place in the world!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,893 times
Hmm..loneliest place in the world..? Dont like outsiders...?

I`m from Amsterdam and I am still planning to visit San Diego this year!

Anyone here that can fire my excitement a bit more Up...?

Cos it would still be nice to make new friends and meet people in good old San Diego!!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 62,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelAngel View Post
Hmm..loneliest place in the world..? Dont like outsiders...?

I`m from Amsterdam and I am still planning to visit San Diego this year!

Anyone here that can fire my excitement a bit more Up...?

Cos it would still be nice to make new friends and meet people in good old San Diego!!
Don't worry, I think the same people that are complaining about not having friends aren't putting themselves out there and expect new friends just to come to them.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:45 AM

256 posts, read 736,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBallerz View Post
Don't worry, I think the same people that are complaining about not having friends aren't putting themselves out there and expect new friends just to come to them.
This is very presumptuos and so not true. I am NOT a 20 something on here relating my experience. I have lived in San Deigo Coutny for over 30 years in established neighborhoods. There is not the same kind of commitment, courtesy, stability and etiquette here as I have found to be in other places. I know there are exceptions and nothing is black and white. But, I find you can have wonderful acqaintences and very few rooted, lifelong friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego