Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times

Advertisements

LMAO@ American sports require little skill... what a joke.
Fact: NO POSITION in soccer, or any other sport for that matter is more difficult to play than the quarterback position in football
fact: a runningbacks job, reading screens, defensive schemes, running behind or around blockers, running by it through huge linemen and linebackers who all want to destroy him is MUCH harder than some sissy soccer player getting chased around by other sissies, who can always dive and get bailed out by the ref and given a free kick.
That's another thing that makes no sense about soccer... any little bump by a defensive player sends the offensive player flying 14 feet, cringing in pain. NFL players literally tackle each other, and a lot of times the tackles fail to bring the player down. How? Because NFL players don't act, they are much stronger and faster and thus better athletes.

But yes what position in all of soccer requires the skill that the QB position in football requires? They get at most 4 seconds to read the entire field and defensive schemes and make a decision to pass, scramble, or hand off.

What soccer player has ever had the freak athleticism, clutchness or alien skill that Michael Jordan had?
Is there even such a thing as bring clutch in soccer?
Do u consider Messi being a clutch player after his zero goal showing in the world cup? LOL!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Do u consider Messi being a clutch player after his zero goal showing in the world cup? LOL!
Messi is an attacking midfielder and his job is to create chances for his teammates which he did plenty of. Not only that be he forced goalkeepers to make some amazing saves throughout the tournament which forced defenses to focus on defending Messi and allows the other Argentinian attacking players opportunities to score which they did plenty of.

If you want to bash soccer at least learn the sport and makes valid points which you have failed to do over and over again.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh ok ok so its his position that led him to score ZERO goals ok my bad

Oh wait can u please tell me what position Puyol plays? Did his position prevent him from scoring?

Lolol@ the "best" player not scoring and making excuses as to why he FAILED to score

Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Oh ok ok so its his position that led him to score ZERO goals ok my bad

Oh wait can u please tell me what position Puyol plays? Did his position prevent him from scoring?

Lolol@ the "best" player not scoring and making excuses as to why he FAILED to score

Puyol is a central defender.

If you are going to take the time to bash soccer, at least take the time to comprehend what people are telling you.

I love you how you LOL at your post because they really are comical.

I never said Messi's position led him to score zero goals and I never made any excuses for him either. That's just ridiculous to imply otherwise and shows that you arent comprehending anything that is being said. You implied that Messi played poorly or was not "clutch" because he did not score any goals. However, that is not true because he helped create several goals for his teammates during the tournament. You dont have to score goals to play great. It is just like not everyone on the football field has to score touchdowns to play great.

Let me provide an example that your tiny little brain may be able to comprehend.

Peyton Manning goes 21 for 25 passes for 308 years, zero touchdowns, and zero interceptions. Joseph Addai finished off several successful scoring drives with 4 rushing touchdowns.

Would you say that Manning play poorly because Addai finished the chances that were created by Manning? No, that would be foolish. Those are great numbers for Manning.

Messi's World Cup was no different than Manning's performance in that hypothetical game. He played very well and created several solid chances for his team.

I know you will comeback and say something that makes you laugh at yourself but I really dont understand how you can not get this.

You dont like soccer which is okay. No one really cares. But, for you to imply that soccer plays are not athletic and that the game does not have any freak athletes is ridiculous. Pretty much every player on the Brazilian National team is a freak athlete.

But, you really want to know truly freak athletes are? Olympic Female gymnast. Pound by pound they are the most powerful humans on the planet. They are the world's best athletes. Guess what? A lot of them are barely over 5 feet tall.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Lol@ all that text to try and "justify" why Messi went scoreless
The first line in that pointless paragraph is proof as to why he SHOULD have scored.
Puyol is a DEFENDER, Messi being an OFFENSIVE player by default means he should score, especially when defendersare scoring.

Ur hypothetical situation is stupid, when does manning fail to throw a touchdown? Do u even watch football?
And to even come close to Messis FAILURES at the world cup, Ud need to have manning play in multiple playoff games and go scoreless in ALL of them. Which again won't ever happen because manning is a freak and too talented to choke like Messi

Mannings job is also a million times more difficult as the entire offense runs through him and is dictated by him. Manning changed the way football is being played. What has Messi done of any significance other than choke again in the world cup?

I don't watch gymnastics, sorry. Only female sports I watch is women's tennis.
But its good to see that Messi is taller than some athletes. Little 16 year old Asian and Russian girls lolol

Old 07-20-2010, 03:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Your whole argument is based around other people's ascribing of Messi as the world's best. You're bashing soccer while using the opinions of soccer fans as the crux of the diatribe.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Is he not the best soccer player in the world... who's views should I use for this classification? Freddy roach? Who do track and field coaches classify as the worlds best

That is also not my "while argument" but nice try @ attempting to distort my championship arguments

Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 PM

The point is that you're scoffing at the opinions of soccer fans while building your case on the opinions of soccer fans. Do you think all those people would call him the best at being a non-athlete? You're citing a source while simultaneously discrediting it. Learn how to debate.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM

oh im sorry yes you're right... because if someone is going to talk about the best tennis player for instance, and the best tennis player by consensus in the TENNIS WORLD is roger federer, it is completely inappropriate, in fact it is downright absurd to use the consensus of tennis analysts, commentators, former players, and fans as the basis for this argument.

the same goes for "pound for pound" arguments in boxing, what an idiotic thing to use this as an argument right... what do boxing commentators/coaches/fighters/fans/analysts know about who the best boxer in boxing is? let's ask Bruce Arena if he thinks floyd money mayweather jr is a better boxer than manny pacman pacquiao... because it would be downright illogical to use the p4p rankings from official boxing sources for this.

same applies to soccer apparently. right "krudmonk".... i should poll backgammon players on who they think the best soccer player is, right? that would make sense to you?

Top 50 players of the 2010 World Cup - ESPN Soccernet

FIFA.com - Messi and Marta on top of the world (http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=1151348.html - broken link)

^how idiotic to use FIFA rankings about soccers best players right? what do they know!

World Cup 2010 - Lionel Messi wins FIFA World Player of the Year - Yahoo! Eurosport

^absolutely meaningless

Lionel Messi Wins Ballon d'Or 2009 - Goal.com (http://www.goal.com/en/news/2724/ballon-dor/2009/12/01/1658142/lionel-messi-wins-ballon-dor-2009 - broken link)

^this award is the equivalent of nothing apparently.

brb i'm going to poll my neighbors to see who the best soccer player is, that will hold more weight in an argument.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:27 PM

What the hell are you disproving about what I said? You can't even follow this conversation so just bow out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer