Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 28,994 times

Advertisements

Im so glad Trader Joe's coming to Spokane! I used to shop there when I was living in Phoenix, AZ. Its about time Spokane started developing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 12,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyandmelody View Post
Here's some comments taken from the "Trader Joe's Spokane" Facebook page. It sounds very exciting!

Bettie Stiritz - I went to Trader Joes in Olympia yesterday. I asked about Spokane and they said "We will absolutely be there the final quarter of next year." They said Spokane will be a hub for areas farther into the middle of the U.S. They seemed very confident in this information. (Oct. 17th 1010)

Richard Orndorff - This morning Sherry and I stopped in the Federal Way Trader Joe's on our way from Tacoma back to Spokane. We bought a lot of stuff. A whole lot. Two shopping carts full of food and wine. The checker told us that we wouldn't have to make our emergency TJ stops much longer since Trader Joe's was putting a store in Spokane within a year. She said it was written in stone. So there you go. Truth? I think yes. (Oct. 24th 2010)

Jenny Hurd - Owner of Forza Coffee @ 29th and Regal said today that TJ will be going in the Lincoln Heights Shopping Center. They are scheduled to start building the new two-story store after the first of the year. Final completed store in 12-18 months. (Nov. 3rd 2010)

Lisa Schneider Stephens - I own Other Mothers on the South Hill and our building owners confirmed yesterday that a Trader Joes is going into our complex at the Lincoln Heights shopping center behind JoAnns and Petco.
(Nov. 3rd 2010)

That is great! I am sitting at Forza right now, right in my neighborhood

Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyandmelody View Post
Here's some comments taken from the "Trader Joe's Spokane" Facebook page. It sounds very exciting!

Bettie Stiritz - I went to Trader Joes in Olympia yesterday. I asked about Spokane and they said "We will absolutely be there the final quarter of next year." They said Spokane will be a hub for areas farther into the middle of the U.S. They seemed very confident in this information. (Oct. 17th 1010)

Richard Orndorff - This morning Sherry and I stopped in the Federal Way Trader Joe's on our way from Tacoma back to Spokane. We bought a lot of stuff. A whole lot. Two shopping carts full of food and wine. The checker told us that we wouldn't have to make our emergency TJ stops much longer since Trader Joe's was putting a store in Spokane within a year. She said it was written in stone. So there you go. Truth? I think yes. (Oct. 24th 2010)

Jenny Hurd - Owner of Forza Coffee @ 29th and Regal said today that TJ will be going in the Lincoln Heights Shopping Center. They are scheduled to start building the new two-story store after the first of the year. Final completed store in 12-18 months. (Nov. 3rd 2010)

Lisa Schneider Stephens - I own Other Mothers on the South Hill and our building owners confirmed yesterday that a Trader Joes is going into our complex at the Lincoln Heights shopping center behind JoAnns and Petco.
(Nov. 3rd 2010)

Thank god. Maybe we'll get one in Boise next. They've always said the major stumbling block was shipping routes further inland. Then I wouldn't have to bring stuff back with me when I visit my parents near Seattle.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Any news about the Trader Joe's on South Hill? Have they really started building? How is it coming along? Ahead of schedule, maybe?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,065 times

Trader Joe's at Lincoln Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Any news about the Trader Joe's on South Hill? Have they really started building? How is it coming along? Ahead of schedule, maybe?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
I got a hit from March saying it had started by Vandervert Construction. People are already using it as a plus for being able to walk to it from the apartment they are renting on Craigslist, hah. I would say toward the end of the year for opening.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I got a hit from March saying it had started by Vandervert Construction. People are already using it as a plus for being able to walk to it from the apartment they are renting on Craigslist, hah. I would say toward the end of the year for opening.
Thanks, E! I was hoping it would be up and running this summer so we wouldn't have to schlep TJ stuff to North Idaho from SoCal when we come up to work on our property. Oh well--next year! But you guys will be able to buy all kinds of great food/snack stuff for the Holidays!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,560 times
there's several other great healthfood stores in our area that compete quit well with tjs, huckleberry's in the south hill and the main street market are both great; and our local yoks which we have several throughout spokane and spokane valley have great selections of natural foods, plus we now have two wincos which have an abundance of bulk food, some organic as well, and they are priced well below tjs. so trader joes is a nice addition to our area but it really won't be one of a kind. we also have world markets in our area. and there are independent markets; like rocket market in the south hill which specialize in unique and organic foods. then there are a variety of markets that cator to special markets suich as the russan bakery/deli on the south hill and german and asian markets in the city as well. just have to do a search for them and you'll see there's lots of speciality markets throughout this area.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 40,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
there's several other great healthfood stores in our area that compete quit well with tjs, huckleberry's in the south hill and the main street market are both great; and our local yoks which we have several throughout spokane and spokane valley have great selections of natural foods, plus we now have two wincos which have an abundance of bulk food, some organic as well, and they are priced well below tjs. so trader joes is a nice addition to our area but it really won't be one of a kind. we also have world markets in our area. and there are independent markets; like rocket market in the south hill which specialize in unique and organic foods. then there are a variety of markets that cator to special markets suich as the russan bakery/deli on the south hill and german and asian markets in the city as well. just have to do a search for them and you'll see there's lots of speciality markets throughout this area.
I don't live in Spokane but a couple of things regarding TJ's.
I think the most important would be that Trader Joe's has almost all of their products made exclusively for them. Most of the products are under the TJ label, which means they don't have GMO ingredients, artificial flavors, preservatives(!), hydrogenated oils(!), corn syrup etc.. In addition, the products have been extensively tasted and developed by foodies, with quality and flavor as the focus. If you compare the ingredients, you will start to understand how hard it is to find these features in other products, and the value becomes more apparent. And of course, there are many many products you won't find at any other market, specialty or otherwise.

Next, considering prices, you have to compare apples to apples. TJ's will be less expensive than all of the regular grocery stores on most things, and competitive with Winco on more than you think. A big box of cereal for $1.99, 100% juices for $3.99, awesome prices on almonds, olive oil, tuna, coffee, etc..not to mention the BEST prices on gourmet cheeses. Good luck beating a bouquet of flowers for $3.99. And the quality is better than Winco.

Finally, it's a happy place to shop. The people are nice, in part, because they all have health insurance, retirement plans, and are treated well. But they also just tend to hire cool people that you want to interact with. Anyone can help you with anything, no bouncing around departments to find help.

So, in short, I think Trader Joe's IS one of a kind.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,065 times
Most recent picture update.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area