Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
see yeledaf not everyone loves what you term "t-in-cheek".......most of the time you just comes off angery and sarcastic.......which equals to: attack......... so when you AREN'T posting as such i try to reinforce your positive post hopeing you'll get the clue that those are welcomed and appreciated over the type that Ves is commenting on here. so maybe this feedback will help.
What would help is fewer potholes. Or don`t you drive in Spokaloo?

Why I know two orthodontists who put their kids through Oberlin solely on the profits from repairing Spokane teeth loosened by daily commutes down Hamilton-Nevada.

On the other hand, those tooth jockeys will probably be lined up for organic tapenade at TJ`s on opening day...

So everybody wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM

207 posts, read 507,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yadda yadda yadda. Two Buck Chuck. Been there. Gargled that.

Hey, nobody is angry. It`s just that I can only read so many "jeez, in the middle of a damn economic depression, I really need another place to go shoppin!" posts without getting the urge to perform a little reality check.

Okay, now. Re-read my post, Slowly. No, no, without moving your lips.

Now ask yoursevles: What does Spokane need more, organic carrot juice or fewer potholes?

I rest my as---I mean, case.
Okay I get it. It's a down economy so are we to all roll over and play dead until it picks up again? Life continues, get over it and now re-read my post without moving your lips. I never said organic juice.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Okay I get it. It's a down economy so are we to all roll over and play dead until it picks up again? Life continues, get over it and now re-read my post without moving your lips. I never said organic juice.
Yeah, but you`d prefer that it were.

Come on, now. fess up....

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 41,029 times
Quote:
It`s just that I can only read so many "jeez, in the middle of a damn economic depression, I really need another place to go shoppin!" posts without getting the urge to perform a little reality check.

Now ask yoursevles: What does Spokane need more, organic carrot juice or fewer potholes?
A destination store like Trader Joe's will generate millions of dollars in taxes, contracting, license fees etc for the local economy in large part from dollars that come from outside Spokane.

The success of Trader Joe's will also be a draw for other destination businesses like Target, Home Depot, and so on the be attracted to the South Hill area, further creating jobs and taxes for the city. This can have a positive affect on potholes as well as other things that matter.

On another note, a lot of people go to Trader Joe's to get a boost to their day with free food and coffee samples, or just looking at the cool artwork around friendly people. Not a bad thing in a tough economy.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwhitley View Post
A destination store like Trader Joe's will generate millions of dollars in taxes, contracting, license fees etc for the local economy in large part from dollars that come from outside Spokane.

The success of Trader Joe's will also be a draw for other destination businesses like Target, Home Depot, and so on the be attracted to the South Hill area, further creating jobs and taxes for the city. This can have a positive affect on potholes as well as other things that matter.

On another note, a lot of people go to Trader Joe's to get a boost to their day with free food and coffee samples, or just looking at the cool artwork around friendly people. Not a bad thing in a tough economy.
In case you haven't noticed, consumerism has brought this country to the brink of economic and social disaster. It is high time we all stopped looking to shopping as a replacement for living worthwhile, meaningful lives. Regarding things that matter: I fail to see how making Spokane into a cookie-cutter copy of every other yuppified Babbittville in these Benighted States is a step forward in any way, shape, or form. "A boost to their day?" Skip the caffeine and sugar, get off your sit-down and rake the leaves (seasonally adjusted: shovel the snowy driveway, mow the lawn), wash the car (yes, this can be done manually), take the kids to the park, take the dog for a walk, hug the wife, help the neighbor, volunteer at the school, food bank, or senior center. Adding yet another place to purchase overpriced espresso in Spokane is not going to imrpove the quality of life in that fair city.

And speaking of infelicitous phrases --- "destination store"? How utterly pathetic, and redolent of the kind of rampant bottom-line, MBA-ism that has turned America into a nation of obese, childish greedheads. Target, WalMart, Pay 'n Save, Pay 'n Pak, Pak n' Save, Buy More, Payless, Big Value, TruValue, Value Shop, Shop 'n Squat, Waffles 'n More, Bagels Et Cetera, Best Buy, Big Burger, Fat Burger, Bellybuster, Zip's, Dick's, Ron's, Bob's, Joe's, Moe's, Shmoe's, Northtown, Northridge, NorthShoppe, Northern Quest, TowneQuest, Qwest, Qvest, Qvetch, and last but not least the truly surreal Cabela's, with its host of plastic dead animals and enough armament and ammo to topple Quaddafi ten times over: what are these places, really, other than ugly plastic shrines to the great god Mammon, and/or his Rubenesque mistress Cholesterella? How many made-in-China pieces of junk and juice-dripping blimpo burgers does a person actually NEED, after all?

Okay. Rant over. Run and tell. Bust me for puncturing illusions. I'm guilty as heck. And hey -- no need to use the taser, officer. I'll go quietly. And NO, I WOULD NOT LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE, THANK YOU.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 08-28-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 41,029 times
However I think of buying food more as survival than as consumerism. Maybe you grow and preserve your own beans and what not, but the people of the world that I know can't seem to find time to grind their our own flour and pluck chickens.

Sorry Yel, but you'll have to wait until after the impending apocalypse (which I'm sure your tracking), to start your agrarian utopia. Just remember, it will take a lot of cooperation, common denominator thinking and keeping your opinions to yourself in the type of world you cast as ideal.

Of course, in this new economy there will be lot's of potholes and you'll probably be too busy mending your clothes to post thousands of your highly informed opinions on the internet.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
However I think of buying food more as survival than as consumerism. Maybe you grow and preserve your own beans and what not, but the people of the world that I know can't seem to find time to grind their our own flour and pluck chickens.

Sorry Yel, but you'll have to wait until after the impending apocalypse (which I'm sure your tracking), to start your agrarian utopia. Just remember, it will take a lot of cooperation, common denominator thinking and keeping your opinions to yourself in the type of world you cast as ideal.

Of course, in this new economy there will be lot's of potholes and you'll probably be too busy mending your clothes to post thousands of your highly informed opinions on the internet.
Nothing personal, whitley-san. Try taking me out the equation and discussing the ideas. Start with the likelihood of survival without Trader Joe's. Many find it eminently plausible...

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

649 posts, read 1,769,503 times
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, consumerism has brought this country to the brink of economic and social disaster. It is high time we all stopped looking to shopping as a replacement for living worthwhile, meaningful lives. Regarding things that matter: I fail to see how making Spokane into a cookie-cutter copy of every other yuppified Babbittville in these Benighted States is a step forward in any way, shape, or form. "A boost to their day?" Skip the caffeine and sugar, get off your sit-down and rake the leaves (seasonally adjusted: shovel the snowy driveway, mow the lawn), wash the car (yes, this can be done manually), take the kids to the park, take the dog for a walk, hug the wife, help the neighbor, volunteer at the school, food bank, or senior center. Adding yet another place to purchase overpriced espresso in Spokane is not going to imrpove the quality of life in that fair city.

And speaking of infelicitous phrases --- "destination store"? How utterly pathetic, and redolent of the kind of rampant bottom-line, MBA-ism that has turned America into a nation of obese, childish greedheads. Target, WalMart, Pay 'n Save, Pay 'n Pak, Pak n' Save, Buy More, Payless, Big Value, TruValue, Value Shop, Shop 'n Squat, Waffles 'n More, Bagels Et Cetera, Best Buy, Big Burger, Fat Burger, Bellybuster, Zip's, Dick's, Ron's, Bob's, Joe's, Moe's, Shmoe's, Northtown, Northridge, NorthShoppe, Northern Quest, TowneQuest, Qwest, Qvest, Qvetch, and last but not least the truly surreal Cabela's, with its host of plastic dead animals and enough armament and ammo to topple Quaddafi ten times over: what are these places, really, other than ugly plastic shrines to the great god Mammon, and/or his Rubenesque mistress Cholesterella? How many made-in-China pieces of junk and juice-dripping blimpo burgers does a person actually NEED, after all?

Okay. Rant over. Run and tell. Bust me for puncturing illusions. I'm guilty as heck. And hey -- no need to use the taser, officer. I'll go quietly. And NO, I WOULD NOT LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE, THANK YOU.

ok THIS IS ONE OF YOUR BEST no it's you best! good job; i agree 1k percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

30 posts, read 92,560 times
Default I agree with this one!

Quote:

Hmmm....I tend to agree more with big whit on this one. I think that makes the score 2-2.....who's gonna weigh in and break the tie!??

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM

I'd like to challenge whit's imputation that I favor an "agrarian utopia" (though that would be a cool name for a town in Whitman County!). S/he has me mixed up with Jefferson and those other enlightenment dudes in wigs. I gave up on utopias back in the 1970s. And agrarians are aggravating.

There is no green thumb on these hands, though they are both, yes, fully opposable. Which is more than some other posters -- who shall remain nameless -- can claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area