Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times

Advertisements

Thanks SouthernBelle3. All most see of Syracuse is from Interstate 81. Too bad our leadership doesn't realize our gateways can and should be showcase opportunities with landscaping, impressive facades, lack of eyesores etc.

If I ever became mayor or county executive, the first thing I would do is clean up the interstates so they look attractive to passersby. Making a good first impression would be priority #1 in my budget. Obviously, our current clueless leadership fails to grasp this concept. Syracuse looks like a dump from all the interstates (I-81, I-90, I-481, I-690)....overgrown brush, run-down buildings, warehouses with no landscaping, weeds covering chain link fencing, the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM

A few SU Photos...

Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Carrier Dome photos

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 AM

124 posts, read 642,000 times
Bellafinzi:

Your G R E A T pictures are SO appreciated!! Keep it up and post often with them. I really enjoy them. We certainly need all of the boostering that we can give to such a wonderful area, so that it may be properly appreciated and not always "put-down," as is too often the case.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,912 times
As always thank-you for your time to gather these pictures! It feels great to be back home in the Syracuse area!!! I've finally setteled down in a cape in the Camillus area. Love my home and have wonderfull neighbors! Unlike Florida where everyone keeps to themselves.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Thanks Pidgett and cuse!

Westcott Nation, Syracuse, NY

YouTube - Impressions of a Cooperative Grocer

YouTube - Wheel of Fortune

YouTube - See/Hear

Westcott is a neighborhood in Syracuse....

Old 09-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Downtown Syracuse on Youtube:

YouTube - Nightfall

Excellent video

Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 36,289 times
Oh how I love all these pictures. I am originally from Syracuse. Ive been living in Wisconsin for 17 years now. I graduated from Liverpool High School in 1988. I am seriously considering moving back to the cuse this coming summer. I have read how Syracuse is a dead end town..is that really true? I know its been a while. Ive been thinking about moving to liverpool with my two teenagers, but Im not sure what it's like there now a days. If anyone could shed some light on me. I am a Registered Nurse and Im thinking it shouldnt be too hard to find a job..but I could be wrong.

Also looking at all the pics takes me back to when I was 19 working at the old Syracuse Savings Bank when it was called Firstar..living on Court St. on the North Side. I used to walk the streets of that city without a second thought. If I missed my bus, I would walk. Syracuse always had an industrial vibe too it and I remember when Armory Square was desolate and had only a few bohemian shops in it..now look at it.

I miss Heids, Wegmans, Party in the Plaza, The Mony towers, SU games. Thank you for this post and all its pictures.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahN View Post
Oh how I love all these pictures. I am originally from Syracuse. Ive been living in Wisconsin for 17 years now. I graduated from Liverpool High School in 1988. I am seriously considering moving back to the cuse this coming summer. I have read how Syracuse is a dead end town..is that really true? I know its been a while. Ive been thinking about moving to liverpool with my two teenagers, but Im not sure what it's like there now a days. If anyone could shed some light on me. I am a Registered Nurse and Im thinking it shouldnt be too hard to find a job..but I could be wrong.

Also looking at all the pics takes me back to when I was 19 working at the old Syracuse Savings Bank when it was called Firstar..living on Court St. on the North Side. I used to walk the streets of that city without a second thought. If I missed my bus, I would walk. Syracuse always had an industrial vibe too it and I remember when Armory Square was desolate and had only a few bohemian shops in it..now look at it.

I miss Heids, Wegmans, Party in the Plaza, The Mony towers, SU games. Thank you for this post and all its pictures.
Thanks! All the Syracuse hospitals are always searching for more nurses, so you shouldn't have a problem landing a job as a Registered Nurse. Liverpool is pretty much the same as it was in the early 90s. I have a photo thread for Liverpool/Salina if want to see what that area looks like today. Just do a search for Liverpool and it should come up.

I guess Syracuse can be considered a "dead end town" by outsiders since job growth is flat and it is hard to advance in many careers. Plus the population of the region is stagnant.

Liverpool and the northern suburbs are still safe and family friendly for the most part. Mattydale has gone down hill a little. Many of the older neighborhoods built right after WWII in Salina are transitioning from elderly couples to minorities, immigrants and college kids. Liverpool is not as popular place for young families as it used to be. Most families that relocate to the Syracuse northern suburbs either head to the Baldwinsville/Lysander area or to Cicero.

I'm not sure if you remember Penn Can Mall or Great Northern Mall? Penn Can is now a huge Auto Mall. Great Northern Mall itself has changed little, but the Route 31 corridor near Great Northern Mall has seen the most commercial growth in Upstate NY between Rochester and Albany in the past decade. Its really the only area that has significantly changed in the Syracuse suburbs since the early 90s. Heids is still there, Wegmans is expanding in the area, the MONY Towers are now called the AXA Towers and as you probably know SU Football now stinks, but SU Basketball is still going strong. That pretty much sums it up.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 36,289 times
Thank you for all the information. Yeah SU football does suck..but I was always more of a basketball fan myself. The reason I thought of Liverpool is because its all I know and I really havent heard too much bad stuff about it now. I do know I have options like Bville, Solvey and the such.

Im glad to hear I wont have a problem finding a nursing job. Im just concerned for the kids. We live in a small city an hour north of Milwaukee right now. Im hoping Syracuse has more to offer for the kids than little old Fond du Lac, WI.

I really am homesick for Syracuse despite the negative comments I read about the city. It will always be home to me. And I know the old adage is true..you can't go back home..and nothing will be like I left it. But my family is in Syracuse.

I DO remember the Penn Cann Mall. I got my first job there at Charney's Mens Shop. Sad to hear its gone..but it was on its way out before I left when they built the Great Northern Mall.

Last edited by SarahN; 10-10-2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area