Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times

Advertisements

Then definitely the eastern suburbs... for ease of commute, if nothing else. Depending on how close you live to his employer, it shouldn't be any more than 10 minutes, whether you choose Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-Dewitt or East Syracuse-Minoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 PM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
He will be based in East Syracuse.
Eastern suburbs sounds better then. I would possibly look at ES-M and J-D, along with F-M.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM

104 posts, read 214,847 times
Thank you both. I hope I didn't cause any friction .

Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thank you both. I hope I didn't cause any friction .
Not at all. lol - ckh and I both have strong opinions and while they're frequently similar, that's not always the case. We've gotten plenty more heated before and get along just fine.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
West Genesee is ugly down most of the stretch, until just past the P&C, past Solvay. Run down or vacant car dealerships, run down stores, run down homes, graffiti, narrow lanes with so many potholes on the side that I'd rather be in the left lane and wait for every car to slow down and turn left... it's not pretty, in any way, shape or form. Saying it's ugly is generous, imo. And driving down West Genesee to get to the Westhill area is still driving around the ghetto... it's a longer drive by at least 10 minutes.

East Genesee is run down for a short block or two (near the old projects, in two places), then fine past the Salt Springs turn off. I wasn't originally comparing the two but now that I think of it, there's a definite difference.

I guess my biggest problem with the Westhill district area is- why pay the same amount to live there, when you can live in so many nicer places? It's all relative, I know but really, I never understand the draw unless they stay primarily in the western or northern 'burbs. Again though, it depends on where the OP's husband may be working. If his employer is in Skaneateles, Camillus, Marcellus or any of the western/northwestern 'burbs, Westhill would be fine... because he wouldn't be going through the west side everyday. Westhill tends to be a little close to "the action" of the west side.

Case en pointe- a close friend lives on Onondaga Hill (in the Westhill district.) When she has to go grocery shopping, she avoids going to the Wegmans down the hill and drives around to Fairmount's instead. Why? Because she doesn't feel comfortable. She doesn't think she's going to be robbed or anything but... well, no woman likes to be closely and repeatedly catcalled and lustfully eyed-down and have sexual comments made by wannabe thugs, no matter their race. It's just too close to the west side for comfort. A few miles away, in Fairmount, she can go grocery shopping in peace.
Westhill isn't close to any "action" and if she is scared to shop at the Western Lights Wegmans, then that is her issue(no offense). Many people from the area shop there and are fine. Green Hills in Nedrow isn't too far either.

Trust me, I grew up primarily in Onondaga Hill near Community General Hospital and still go through the area quite a bit. Heck, many people drive in many parts of the city with no problems, let alone the areas I mentioned earlier.

While West Genesee St. recently had some car dealerships that have left due to issues with the industry, it still isn't some war zone street or anything and the Near West Side is actually pretty far from there. Most of that drive goes through Tipp Hill/West End and Automobile Row. So, it's not even residential for the most part. It's not like I told her to drive down South Geddes and then take Grand Ave.(eventhough nothing would happen to you if you did, most likely). Westvale also straddles West Genesee St. right past Westvale Plaza, with most of it being south of the street.

Just to give an idea of what I'm talking about:
west genesee street syracuse, ny - Google Maps

Just go straight from there and see what it is like on the drive out to Westvale(Geddes).

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Not at all. lol - ckh and I both have strong opinions and while they're frequently similar, that's not always the case. We've gotten plenty more heated before and get along just fine.
True and it really isn't all that serious. As you can see though, people love their area around here, for the most part.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM

104 posts, read 214,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Westhill isn't close to any "action" and if she is scared to shop at the Western Lights Wegmans, then that is her issue(no offense). Many people from the area shop there and are fine. Green Hills in Nedrow isn't too far either.

Trust me, I grew up primarily in Onondaga Hill near Community General Hospital and still go through the area quite a bit. Heck, many people drive in many parts of the city with no problems, let alone the areas I mentioned earlier.

While West Genesee St. recently had some car dealerships that have left due to issues with the industry, it still isn't some war zone street or anything and the Near West Side is actually pretty far from there. Most of that drive goes through Tipp Hill/West End and Automobile Row. So, it's not even residential for the most part. It's not like I told her to drive down South Geddes and then take Grand Ave.(eventhough nothing would happen to you if you did, most likely). Westvale also straddles West Genesee St. right past Westvale Plaza, with most of it being south of the street.

Just go straight from there and see what it is like on the drive out to Westvale(Geddes).
I'm pretty tough. I think I can shop at the Western Lights Wegman's with the best of them! How about living in Strathmore, or Sedgewick and getting 2 Rottweilers?

It's great to see you both so passionate about where you live. I'm very excited to move up!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I understand my friend wanting to go to the Fairmount Wegman's because while she IS, admittedly, a bit of a scaredy-cat, she also is just too pretty to be down on Onondaga Blvd., if that makes sense. lol - tall, curvaceous, blue-eyed blonde who dresses well. She attracts some kind of attention almost anywhere but in "borderline" areas especially, it's excessive.

Me? Again, I wear jeans, tees and ponytails and while I still get catcalled, I'm used to being down there. I know how to react, because I'm used to it from when we lived on the west side, and go on my way. She'd rather not deal with it all... she doesn't know how. And doesn't want to feel threatened while learning how to deal with it. She's from the Bloomfield Hills area of Michigan, if that tells you anything. lol

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I understand my friend wanting to go to the Fairmount Wegman's because while she IS, admittedly, a bit of a scaredy-cat, she also is just too pretty to be down on Onondaga Blvd., if that makes sense. lol - tall, curvaceous, blue-eyed blonde who dresses well. She attracts some kind of attention almost anywhere but in "borderline" areas especially, it's excessive.

Me? Again, I wear jeans, tees and ponytails and while I still get catcalled, I'm used to being down there. I know how to react, because I'm used to it from when we lived on the west side, and go on my way. She'd rather not deal with it all... she doesn't know how. And doesn't want to feel threatened while learning how to deal with it. She's from the Bloomfield Hills area of Michigan, if that tells you anything. lol
Oh, now I can see why. I went to Michigan State for a few years and met some people from Bloomfield Hills. If people think F-M is snobby, please.......That's not to say that all of the people there are, but there is some serious wealth in Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham/Beverly Hills/West Bloomfield, etc.

Also, you do get a mix of people there, but Price Chopper tends to be more diverse than the Wegmans in that area. Plus, from the description, you know men in Syracuse don't care what you are and if you look good, someone might say something in that area. So, I totally can see why you are saying in regards to your first paragraph.

CTwoman, another thing about Syracuse is that you still have some neighborhoods with a strong ethnic feel to them. For instance, off of West Genesee, you would past neighborhoods with strong Polish(around Sacred Heart Church and somewhat north of West Genesee), Ukrainian, Irish(both Tipperary Hill and West End) and Italian(Solvay) identities. They're not exclusive, but you can tell by some institutions or businesses. Westhill also is known for having a somewhat strong Irish vibe, more than anything else to it in terms of surnames you will see in the schools there. J-D and F-M, along with parts of the Eastside will have a noticable Jewish aspect to it.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, now I can see why. I went to Michigan State for a few years and met some people from Bloomfield Hills. If people think F-M is snobby, please.......That's not to say that all of the people there are, but there is some serious wealth in Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham/Beverly Hills/West Bloomfield, etc.
I'm familiar. lol - my uncle grew up in Strathmore and went to Most Holy Rosary but is very comfortable on the west and south sides... it was a different time, when he grew up there. He and his wife moved to Bloomfield Hills about 15 years or so ago (marketing exec.) and my cousins are noticeably snobby, no matter how much their parents try to reign it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area