Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM

357 posts, read 968,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
I'm pretty tough. I think I can shop at the Western Lights Wegman's with the best of them! How about living in Strathmore, or Sedgewick and getting 2 Rottweilers?

It's great to see you both so passionate about where you live. I'm very excited to move up!

If you really are interested in one those beautiful old homes in Strathmore I wouldn't let anyone deter you from it. It is a very safe area, very wealthy people wouldn't live there if they thought their stuff was going to get stolen all the time I've known two families who have lived in some of the homes in that area (one was a doctors family and one was a lawyers family) Both families loved their homes and their neighborhoods and felt very safe there with their children. One of the family's sent their kids to a private school and one chose the public schools. Both were happy with their choices.

The thing to keep in mind like everyone has told you is that Stathmore is a very wealthy area surrounding by lower income neighborhoods. It's something that never bothered me when I was living in the city but it can bother some. And remember just cause someone is lower income doesn't automatically mean they are going to steal or rob you.

I would suggest still going and looking at the area when you come check things out because it sounds like your very interested in the homes there and make sure you can live with the poor areas nearby. As far as schools, if you decide your interested in private schools just ask for some suggestions here on the forum. There are some private schools in the area that are not very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM

104 posts, read 214,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
If you really are interested in one those beautiful old homes in Strathmore I wouldn't let anyone deter you from it. It is a very safe area, very wealthy people wouldn't live there if they thought their stuff was going to get stolen all the time I've known two families who have lived in some of the homes in that area (one was a doctors family and one was a lawyers family) Both families loved their homes and their neighborhoods and felt very safe there with their children. One of the family's sent their kids to a private school and one chose the public schools. Both were happy with their choices.

The thing to keep in mind like everyone has told you is that Stathmore is a very wealthy area surrounding by lower income neighborhoods. It's something that never bothered me when I was living in the city but it can bother some. And remember just cause someone is lower income doesn't automatically mean they are going to steal or rob you.

I would suggest still going and looking at the area when you come check things out because it sounds like your very interested in the homes there and make sure you can live with the poor areas nearby. As far as schools, if you decide your interested in private schools just ask for some suggestions here on the forum. There are some private schools in the area that are not very expensive.
Thanks for the encouragement, Becky. I will check out Strathmore and other areas in Syracuse. Those houses and neighborhoods really appeal to me. I've lived in the suburbs for 15 years now and while they can be wonderful, it would be nice to have a bit of a change. I'll see when I look (hopefully).

I would be interested in some of the private schools. I looked at the site for Pebble Hill Manlius school and tuition was crazy high: $17K per student. I definitely can't afford that. If you have other suggestions, I'd be happy to look at them.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 PM

357 posts, read 968,496 times
Here's some private schools in the area other then Pebble Hill -
Tuition varies -
1. Faith Heritage - A nondenominational Christian school grades pre-k to 12 Home (http://www.faithheritageschool.org/index.html - broken link)
2. Montessori School - http://www.mssyr.org/
3. There are a number of very good Catholic Schools and I believe they have the lowest tution out there of any private school. I'm not Catholic but would consider sending my kids to some of these schools. For example, CBA high school comes very highly recommended by many, both for its academics and sports
Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Welcome (http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Links - broken link)
Christian Brothers Academy -- Syracuse, NY
http://www.mhrsyr.org/ This school reports very high test scores.
http://school.hcparish.com/

I'm sure there are other private schools but for the life of me can't think of them right now. Maybe others can think of some.

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 03-23-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I agree with beckyhuggs. For instance, a lot of Strathmore kids go to Bishop Ludden, which is a Catholic HS near Westhill High. They have some good sports programs and is a good school. Bishop Grimes in East Syracuse is another option to think about and the cost for both are more affordable than most private schools. Christian Brothers Academy is another to look at. While it costs more than Ludden or Grimes, it is a very good Catholic high school with very good sports programs.

You might also like the Scottholm neighborhood, which is a sub neighborhood in the general Meadowbrook neighborhood. It has homes similar to Strathmore and Sedgwick and is on the city's Eastside. So, you are close to Syracuse University, LeMoyne College and shopping on East Genesee Street and Erie Boulevard East. Here's a streetview of that neighborhood: scottholm boulevard syracuse, ny - Google Maps

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
What is the zip code for the Strathmore neighborhood?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
What is the zip code for the Strathmore neighborhood?
It's 13207.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Here's some private schools in the area other then Pebble Hill -
Tuition varies -
1. Faith Heritage - A nondenominational Christian school grades pre-k to 12 Home (http://www.faithheritageschool.org/index.html - broken link)
2. Montessori School - Montessori School of Syracuse > Home
3. There are a number of very good Catholic Schools and I believe they have the lowest tution out there of any private school. I'm not Catholic but would consider sending my kids to some of these schools. For example, CBA high school comes very highly recommended by many, both for its academics and sports
Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Welcome (http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Links - broken link)
Christian Brothers Academy -- Syracuse, NY
Bishops Academy at Most Holy Rosary :: 1031 Bellevue Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13207 :: 315.476.6035 This school reports very high test scores.
http://school.hcparish.com/

I'm sure there are other private schools but for the life of me can't think of them right now. Maybe others can think of some.
Thank you!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree with beckyhuggs. For instance, a lot of Strathmore kids go to Bishop Ludden, which is a Catholic HS near Westhill High. They have some good sports programs and is a good school. Bishop Grimes in East Syracuse is another option to think about and the cost for both are more affordable than most private schools. Christian Brothers Academy is another to look at. While it costs more than Ludden or Grimes, it is a very good Catholic high school with very good sports programs.

You might also like the Scottholm neighborhood, which is a sub neighborhood in the general Meadowbrook neighborhood. It has homes similar to Strathmore and Sedgwick and is on the city's Eastside. So, you are close to Syracuse University, LeMoyne College and shopping on East Genesee Street and Erie Boulevard East. Here's a streetview of that neighborhood: scottholm boulevard syracuse, ny - Google Maps
Thank you for the street view. Very nice. I love the sidewalks. I know I'm a bit all over the place here, but do any of the suburban type neighborhoods have sidewalks also?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,795 times
Some suburban neighborhoods do; many do not. As someone who grew up in that neighborhood, I'll second that Scottholm recommendation. Sidewalks, heavy tree canopy, great neighbors (many university faculty), and good schools. Grocery shopping, ice cream, bagels, banks within a 15-minute walk. City services are excellent in that and adjacent neighborhoods, too.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Suburban areas with sidewalks generally are the villages or older developments like the Orvilton area of DeWitt, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area