Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 05:24 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,188,763 times

Advertisements

I'm up for travel to just about anywhere but have no interest in going to the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 07:01 PM

828 posts, read 696,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.
Asia is the largest, most interesting, most diverse continent on the planet where more than 2/3 of the worlds people live. I spent several years living abroad there, and I loved it. Traveling around is much more interesting than traveling in Europe, which has basically become America light. The flight is very long though. I'll give you that. I think you should rethink your opinion of Asia, and take a closer look at it country by country, or at least region by region.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 PM

545 posts, read 412,974 times
Egypt/Saudi Arabia
Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkansas

I've been to India ( Bangalaroo and Chennai) and have little or no desire to go back.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,606,347 times
Quote:
It is possible he said apartment building, but perhaps he means to say there are a million people in his apartment complex?
No, it isn't. There is no apartment complex in Shanghai that has a million people, that is absurd.

Quote:
Our friend has Japanese Encephalitis, as well as numerous amoebas and parasites that were contracted in the Philippines (from water or food sources) they are in his liver and brain, he is in multiple organ failure. You might show some compassion instead of calling him a liar and fool.
Why would I have compassion for something described that is impossible? You said your friend is dying from Japanese Encephalitis he caught from food, which is clearly false since it is a virus contracted from mosquitoes.

Now when called on it you've suddenly changed your story it into something completely different, it has become amoebas and parasites. So he has amoebas, parasites, and the Japanese Encephalitis? When you handle "facts" in such a manner it makes me question both you and your sources.

Quote:
But let's talk more about our friends. For instance, the family of 7 who moved to Java, Indonesia and ALL got very sick for months as they tried to acclimate to the water, food and living conditions. Malaise, vomiting, diarrhea, fevers, weight loss ... followed by two bouts of Dengue Fever which left the mom barely alive and weighing 74 lbs. I suppose they are liars, too? Or perhaps we just have unfortunate friends with low immune systems ...

Should mention one other friend who works with orphans in the Philippines ... the ones living in the nice and sanitary trash dumps.
I don't know if they are liars or not but given your previous silliness it's entirely possible. Either way I can assure you that it is possible to live in Java without constantly battling illness so your fears. I spent plenty of time in various parts of Indonesia including Java and didn't suffer these horrible health problems you describe.

Regarding trash dumps in the Philippines, I'd offer a wonderful solution: don't include their trash dumps on your vacation itinerary.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:11 AM

344 posts, read 245,870 times
I don't think there is any place I don't want to visit. However, there are a few that I would't go now for safety reasons - Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,302,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I would never want to visit East St. Louis, IL.
Lol, you made me laugh.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM

317 posts, read 374,868 times
Default Disneyland

100 plus dollars to spend the day in 3 hour lines for 5 minute rides and $15 hamburgers. Not like during the 1970s when we could go there and spend the night for $12.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,723,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
Egypt/Saudi Arabia
Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkansas

I've been to India ( Bangalaroo and Chennai) and have little or no desire to go back.
I live in Oklahoma. And yes, it truly sucks.

I can't wait to leave here.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM

130,746 posts, read 12,197,426 times
China, becasue of human rights violations. But I would like to visit Japan, I have had a few Japanese friends over the years, I would also like to visit Thailand, but I hate the rap they have for child prostitution. I would visit anywhere else in the world, if I had enough money.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:08 PM

285 posts, read 387,116 times
Even if I could get a visa, I would not go to North Korea. I would visit Iran. No Somalia, Yemen, or anywhere else where there's widespread conflict at the time of travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel