Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree too. I don't want to live in a country where evidence for a criminal conviction rests on a hunch or heresay. I'm glad I don't like in colonial American times because in the 1600s that's how the courts here operated. Salem Witch Trials anyone?
Not an accurate analogy at all!

The Salem Witch Trials were based on fabricated stories...out and out lies.

The Casey Anthony case had facts and factual events...
-bones of a child identified as Kaylee Anthony
-duct tape over the mouth
-an unreported missing child
-a serial liar suspect
-a mother that partys hardy while she knew her child was dead/missing
-a story about a child that was left unattended with access to a pool and no call after being discoverd to 911, which would at least have made her guilty of neglect and manslaughter (if one chooses to believe that story.)
-a mother that obstructs a comprehensive search for her child
-chloroform
-a foul smelling trunk
...and so on and so on.

This is in no way remotely like the Salem Witch Trials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
(3) Casey and her family will now benefit from this case. Cindy is now looking at writing a book and Casey will no doubt earn a small fortune with interviews, a book, film etc etc........ Disgusting..... on the back of a dead 2 year old.
(4) This case has now cost the Tax payer many thousands. Expert witnesses were getting $20,000 and more each to testify.
This is not the first and probably won't be the last travisty of justice as many see this to be. Let's hope that this does not lead to the death of another innocent child because it is seen as a example of how desperate people can flaunt the law and get away with it.

Hey man, judges are worse!

Dismissal for Failing to Respond to Discovery

Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Not an accurate analogy at all!

The Salem Witch Trials were based on fabricated stories...out and out lies.

The Casey Anthony case had facts and factual events...
-bones of a child identified as Kaylee Anthony
-duct tape over the mouth
-an unreported missing child
-a serial liar suspect
-a mother that partys hardy while she knew her child was dead/missing
-a story about a child that was left unattended with access to a pool and no call after being discoverd to 911, which would at least have made her guilty of neglect and manslaughter (if one chooses to believe that story.)
-a mother that obstructs a comprehensive search for her child
-chloroform
-a foul smelling trunk
...and so on and so on.

This is in no way remotely like the Salem Witch Trials.
Too bad for you that cops have been known to plant evidence, exaggerate stories, pick and choose "expert" witnesses that would lie for them. I don't think you know that it's a crime to lie to the police, but the SCOTUS has ruled that it's ok for the police to lie to you to gain a confession or to convict. This has happened so many times it's unbelievable

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What part of "not guilty" did you not understand?
What part of FALSE VERDICT do you not understand?

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
1) How did it fail?
Incompetent police department botches a case with sloppy detective work that enables a cold hearted neglectful mom to walk away unscathed.

Doesn't sound like justice to me.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Too bad for you that cops have been known to plant evidence, exaggerate stories, pick and choose "expert" witnesses that would lie for them. I don't think you know that it's a crime to lie to the police, but the SCOTUS has ruled that it's ok for the police to lie to you to gain a confession or to convict. This has happened so many times it's unbelievable
They planted the child in Anthony's womb so that she was so resentful of her daughter that she lied to prevent cops from searching for and finding her? She never would have reported the child missing if it was left up to her to do so. If Kaylee Anthony did not have a grandmother, there never would have been a crime reported or a trial at all.

The verdict and the lack of dillegence of the jury reeks of a flawed system. This is why there is discussion and contoversey as to whether or not we should have professional jurors as opposed ot a jury of peers. Peers of whom? Lazy, illogical and irresponsible types I suppose.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Scott Peterson was convicted of the murder of his wife, Lacey, on far less circumstantial evidence than was presented to the Casey Anthony jury.

It all depends on the jury and how well convinced they are of someone's guilt.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They planted the child in Anthony's womb so that she was so resentful of her daughter that she lied to prevent cops from searching for and finding her? She never would have reported the child missing if it was left up to her to do so. If Kaylee Anthony did not have a grandmother, there never would have been a crime reported or a trial at all.

The verdict and the lack of dillegence of the jury reeks of a flawed system. This is why there is discussion and contoversey as to whether or not we should have professional jurors as opposed ot a jury of peers. Peers of whom? Lazy, illogical and irresponsible types I suppose.
Then amend the US Constitution then because it specifically says that during criminal trials you are to be judged by a jury of your peers. Don't blame the jury on this, blame the prosecution for failing to convince the jury of their case. In any case, there's nothing you can do about yet, the verdict is out, and there's nothing you can do about it. So why don't you go get outraged about something useful for once, like GE being exempt from CO2 regulations

Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Then amend the US Constitution then because it specifically says that during criminal trials you are to be judged by a jury of your peers. Don't blame the jury on this, blame the prosecution for failing to convince the jury of their case. In any case, there's nothing you can do about yet, the verdict is out, and there's nothing you can do about it. So why don't you go get outraged about something useful for once, like GE being exempt from CO2 regulations
WTH are you talking about?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Scott Peterson was convicted of the murder of his wife, Lacey, on far less circumstantial evidence than was presented to the Casey Anthony jury.

It all depends on the jury and how well convinced they are of someone's guilt.
That's very true. I served on a jury once that involved felony DUI charges. The evidence was overwhelming that the defendant was absolutely guilty. All of the jurors, myself included, agreed that he was guilty except these two old rednecks. They totally ignored the evidence and decided that the defendant had done nothing worthy of prison time. They were convinced that "the cop was just picking on him" as one of them said. The defendant was way over the legal limit for alcohol intoxication, had driven his car through someone's yard, and even nearly ran over one person with his vehicle. We deliberated for hours and when it was clearly obvious that those two old turkeys would not convict we ended up in a hung jury. It was unbelievable how ignorant those two old men were! I saw one of the policemen in the loby of the courtroom after the trial and he asked me what happened. I told him and he just shook his head. He told me that the sad thing was that the defendant had been arrested multiple times on DUI charges and that it was just a matter of time before he killed somone in his vehicle. I told him that me and the jury foreman did everything we could to convince those two old men to vote guilty, to no avail of course. I served on another jury one time, this time on misdemeanor charges, and everyone on that jury was rational, intelligent, and fair and I have every confidence we came to a good verdict. You just never know what's going to happen with a jury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime