Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,336,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

Overall, I think the voters "got it right" last night. Reed Grimm would have been an interesting addition to the show -- but his song choices and his "scatting" pretty much guaranteed that he wouldnt get into the Top 13.

I know Jennifer likes Jeremy Rosado and I agree he has a lovely voice -- but I think he'll be eliminated in the next two weeks. I was so happy to see that the voters like Jermaine Jones. Even Jimmy said he could listen to an entire album of Jermain's (I could too). I dont know if I agree with his comment that Colton Dixon could "win this thing"; he's talented and the girls obviously love him, but there's something about him that just doesnt click with me.

It appeared that they had to choose 3 girls and 3 guys for the sing-for-your-life spots. I really dont care for the idea of having an equal number of girls and guys...for the Top 24 or for the Sing-for-Your-Life performances. I remember when they made that rule -- it was after one season where there were many more guy finalists than girls. But so what? If the guys are better than the girls (or vice versa), the best ones should be allowed to compete.

Yes, yes and yes! Jeremy will not last long. I don't see his widespread appeal. And Reed was just TOO "unique", IMO. Idol is fairly mainstream in that regard; a truly different artist is never going to make it all the way. He was not "accessible", at least not to me. I would never be interested in buying any music of his.

And hear! hear! on the final graf.... I was just talking about that very subject with a co-worker yesterday. If we wound up with 10 guys and 3 girls or vice versa, so what????????? Talent doesn't neatly arrange itself by gender and the required numbers. This is just silly political correctness.
Maybe then Jen or Elise would have been able to stay. I was really surprised they didn't invite Elise to "sing for her life". (And I wish they wouldn't phrase it that way too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,543,792 times
TFW - except that I like the judges even though they haven't been mentoring much yet, I could have written that post of yours - totally with you on all of that! Also hearing Jill about DeAndre and GoBucks about Reed.

As for the boys, regardless of whether I'd choose them or not...

I was surprised Reed, Chase and Deandre weren't in the top 5 and was even more surprised that Philip, Hee Jun, and Jermaine were in the top 5. I thought I'd miss Reed but Jimmy's comments about him made me see him in a whole new light and it was all just a bit over the top for me. The one I really don't get is Hee Jun - the judges love him but I'm past ready for him to go.

And regarding the girls, regardless of whether I'd choose them or not...

I think voters got it right with the top 5. After seeing the three wild card hopefuls sing again last night, I think the judges chose the right one even though before they sang I thought I would've chosen Jen (but she was a real disappointment the last two nights). Brielle was a show biz kid and her mom an obnoxious stage mom, but man I love a husky voice and growl on a girl. Would've liked to see if they could've done anything with her - at least for a couple weeks more. Now my fruitless hope regarding the girls is that Holly Cav leaves soon. Yes, she's got a decent voice but she just rubs me the wrong way.

Skyler, Jessica, and Elise are my favorite girls.
Joshua is my favorite guy with some hope for Philip and maybe Jeremy.

Last edited by toosie; 03-02-2012 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,543,792 times
Cat - Elise did stay. Now I wonder which one you mean. BTW, Elise also can go husky so that makes it way easier to see Brielle leave

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,335,632 times
Here, from the American Idol website, are the Top 13 with photos:

Semi-Finalists - Season 11 - Contestants - American Idol

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,334,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
TFW - except that I like the judges even though they haven't been mentoring much yet, I could have written that post of yours - totally with you on all of that! Also hearing Jill about DeAndre and GoBucks about Reed.

As for the boys, regardless of whether I'd choose them or not...

I was surprised Reed, Chase and Deandre weren't in the top 5 and was even more surprised that Philip, Hee Jun, and Jermaine were in the top 5. I thought I'd miss Reed but Jimmy's comments about him made me see him in a whole new light and it was all just a bit over the top for me. The one I really don't get is Hee Jun - the judges love him but I'm past ready for him to go.
And regarding the girls, regardless of whether I'd choose them or not...

I think voters got it right with the top 5. After seeing the three wild card hopefuls sing again last night, I think the judges chose the right one even though before they sang I thought I would've choose Jen (but she was a real disappointment the last two nights). Brielle was a show biz kid and her mom an obnoxious stage mom, but man I love a husky voice and growl on a girl. Would've liked to see if they could've done anything with her - at least for a couple weeks more. Now my fruitless hope regarding the girls is that Holly Cav leaves soon. Yes, she's got a decent voice but she just rubs me the wrong way.

Skyler, Jessica, and Elise are my favorite girls.
Joshua is my favorite guy with some hope for Philip and maybe Jeremy.
TOOSerella! I was so surprised Hee Jun was in the top 5 too! I don't think he should have been. I just thought to myself, no way! LOL........I was shocked. How did he get there? Reed and Chase should have been in the top 5. You are right!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,334,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Here, from the American Idol website, are the Top 13 with photos:

Semi-Finalists - Season 11 - Contestants - American Idol
Good mrning Firewheel! We posted the same time! THanks for the info friend!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,400,671 times
texas, I don't think the spoiler is necessary after the show has aired. People who have not seen it yet will know not to open a discussion thread about it. But thanks for askin'

I think they got it right on the final 13, with the exception of Jeremy R. I would have liked to see Jen instead. But for the rest of them - yeah.

Damn that Shannon chick is tall!

I am SO glad Elise made it, for some reason I thought she wouldn't. Love her voice.

And yes they do need Jimmy's input. Favorite line of the night: "Carrie Underwood karaoke is not gonna fly"
Bahahahahaha!

So, here we go!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 AM

I was surprised that the voters put Heejun though, as well. I'm a big fan of his but his song choice on Tuesday was terrible. I'm sure he got through based on prior performances and his personality. (He has a gazillion followers on twitter.) I had originally thought he had a chance to win this season but I've changed my mind. He does have a lovely voice but "a lovely voice" isnt going to cut it this year.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Here are the Top 24 again -- for anyone who wants to see who didnt make it into the Top 13. Note this list doesnt include wildcard Jermaine Jones:

Photo - 2012 American Idol Season 11 spoilers top 24 photos top 12 boys & top 12 girls - Jacksonville Celebrity Headlines | Examiner.com

Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM

251 posts, read 570,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
texas, I don't think the spoiler is necessary after the show has aired. People who have not seen it yet will know not to open a discussion thread about it. But thanks for askin'

I think they got it right on the final 13, with the exception of Jeremy R. I would have liked to see Jen instead. But for the rest of them - yeah.

Damn that Shannon chick is tall!

I am SO glad Elise made it, for some reason I thought she wouldn't. Love her voice.

And yes they do need Jimmy's input. Favorite line of the night: "Carrie Underwood karaoke is not gonna fly"
Bahahahahaha!

So, here we go!
actually, i like the spoilers,even if it's after the show aired. i don't stay up late enough to watch the entire show.
sometimes i like to read about what happens on a show instead of watch it.....
kind of like the Grandpa in the movie "The Lost Boys" when he says, "if you read the T.v. Guide, you don't need a t.v."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV