Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Another departure from the TBBT depiction of Sheldon's father as a frequently absent drunk. The father on Young Sheldon seems to be a warm, caring Dad.

If this show was independently new, as in having a series about a young genius but no connection to the TBBT, it would be fine. Representing it as Sheldon Cooper's childhood after we have been given a drastically different backstory, is disconcerting. I thought the show was supposed to be about what went into making Sheldon the socially awkward, literal minded adult he became. What we are getting is a completely new show where all may be changed to suit their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Another departure from the TBBT depiction of Sheldon's father as a frequently absent drunk. The father on Young Sheldon seems to be a warm, caring Dad.
I was thinking about this as I watched last night's episode (Space Shuttle road trip). I'd like to see some of the BBT scenes where Sheldon talks about his dad. Now that we've seen YS, it would make the BBT scenes appear in a new light.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
I think those discrepancies will be reconciled in TBBT sooner or later >>> Sheldon on his deathbed in season 37 admitting to the lies so he could garner some sympathy.

Besides a lonely neurotic kid constantly being bullied at school coming home to a religious zealot creationist mother and an abusive drunk driving father is not sitcom material....would make a good horror flick though.

PS: I like the show and all the characters

Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I quite loathe the show.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I think its a pretty good show, about time they found something good to fill up that previously wasted spot after Big Bang. I like BB but not a fanatic about the show, I watch it occasionally but it's such a geek fest I sometimes get a little tired/annoyed with it, lol. This new show is kinda nice, strikes a balance between the geeks and the lemmings. As another poster mentioned, it also has a Wonder Years feel to it, with the juggling to deal with the older siblings. The older brother is kinda like the older brother in Wonder Years, might be a fun combination.

Of course it follows that pattern of modern sit coms where the women are always one step ahead of the men, I hope they don't turn the dad character into Dan Conner or just another loser TV dad. Must admit, however, that I liked the BBQ recipe episode, the grandmother is quite entertaining, and that episode where she teaches Sheldon to play poker, lol. I think this show is going to be a winner.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:00 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
What really matters is whether the show is entertaining, interesting and funny. It does seem to be veering off from what we know about Sheldon's family on TBBT, but that can be overlooked if necessary! The Dad is much nicer than I thought he would be, the mother is not showing as much religious bent as the older one (Which is good!). Meemaw is a HOOT, I must say...wish I'd had someone a bit like her in my family!

Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
What really matters is whether the show is entertaining, interesting and funny. It does seem to be veering off from what we know about Sheldon's family on TBBT, but that can be overlooked if necessary! The Dad is much nicer than I thought he would be, the mother is not showing as much religious bent as the older one (Which is good!). Meemaw is a HOOT, I must say...wish I'd had someone a bit like her in my family!
I agree.

If this show were about an alcoholic dad, I wouldn't be watching it and it wouldn't be a suitable family show. Besides...it's just fiction.

It's weird...Annie Potts has been a very active actress, and somehow I don't recognize her at all. She's great in this show.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:02 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

If this show was independently new, as in having a series about a young genius but no connection to the TBBT, it would be fine. Representing it as Sheldon Cooper's childhood after we have been given a drastically different backstory, is disconcerting. I thought the show was supposed to be about what went into making Sheldon the socially awkward, literal minded adult he became. What we are getting is a completely new show where all may be changed to suit their needs.
I missed a few episodes but saw the Nasa and brisket ones. His dad looks like he wants to drink. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a "closet drinker" then mom turns to the church

If the show isn't true to Sheldons life, they should have made a different show where Sheldon has a different name

Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
Grown up Sheldon describes his father as drinking a lot. It may have been that he drank sometimes, and young Sheldon's perception was that it was a lot. It's been well-established that Sheldon does not perceive things the way other people do.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:18 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
I love the show and wasn't sure I would. It's just started and we have yet to see what develops so I'm not concerned that we don't see an alcoholic father yet - things occur over time due to different circumstances - give it time.... everyone is in too big a rush these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV