Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,668 times

Advertisements

I know this is WAY EARLY, but just wondering if any of you Idol fans thought any of the auditions so far really stood out? I realize we probably don't know their names yet, but a description would work... it will be interesting to see at the end of the season if we were right... we can keep adding to this as it goes along... sound like fun?

I really liked the girl with the lip ring, blondish curly hair, somewhat stocky/muscular build that Simon described as being like a star from the 60s. Personally she reminded me a bit of Janis Joplin. She was one of the older ones - 28, I believe.

Another favorite of mine is the guy with SUPER curly dark hair, bigger build, dark rim glasses who belted it out... and I believe the judges compared his hair to Justin Guarini (season 1 runner-up). He had what they said was a very "dry" sense of humor - and I agree!

One more that really stood out for me was the very pretty African-American teenager that they at first said "no" to - but then they gave her a second chance (the only time they'd ever done that). I believe her name was Keisha - wow, that girl has one of the most powerful voices I have heard. They did give her a hard time about her tendency to pull odd faces while singing (which I didn't notice).

so those are my early favorites... how about you?

Last edited by kitty71; 02-12-2007 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: additional comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:05 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
I don't remember their names or even some faces yet, but there were a few that at the time I said that they would make top ten or win it.
I do remember the brother & sister from ??India as one of my picks.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Melinda Doolittle, the timid black background singer who I believe auditioned in Birmingham was hands down the best audition I saw this season. I also think that dude with the funny name, Sundance or Sunflower or Sunspot or something, the guy who looked like the lead singer of Smash Mouth and who's dad had a hit song in the 60's, will be one to watch too. I liked a lot of people but those are the two that stick out to me the most.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
Yes, that sunspot guy will go far. I think that pretty black girl from one of the last shows-the rollar skating waitresses might go far too. She sounded better than Vonzel, and Vonzel was #3. There was a black guy I liked-I think they called him little rueban? But honestly...I remember liking some from the first couple of shows, but I can't remember them now. I will have to wait and resee them again. And I will have to write down names too!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 AM

168 posts, read 763,162 times
i like the big-set guy with the black curly hair too! i think his name is chris sligh? LOVE his attitude, his wit. he's got a great voice, feels the music - and that group they had with four (with the beatbox guy) was just terrific.

no matter what happens, i think this chris has a future in public life - he could end up on a sit-com with no problem at all. great deadpan delivery.

also another fave is the mother of the three (four?) year old - what a GREAT voice and a lovely personality. she, too, feels the music from her heart.

sundance (jason) head is the son of roy head (or was it rory?) i remember his one hit from the 60s. i think sundance has personality but his voice is not as good as some of the others who didn't make the top 24. but still, i'm glad he made it.

i also like the kid from bangladesh (or india?), and the japanese kid. they both had such great smooth voices - and the guy with the bald head! the one who has a newborn.

for some reason, most of the girls didn't stand out (exception noted above), but that's because AmIdol didn't highlight them as much as they did they guys. we'll get to know them better as the weeks progress.

'course my claim to fame is picking clay aiken during his first audition - i remember telling a friend from work who also watched the show but missed that night "you should have see this kid - he walked in looking like harry potter, big ears, funny hair, glasses. but when he opened his mouth - WOW!" he became my fave.

and now, my fave is the big-set guy, chris, and the african-american woman with the little girl. chris may not make it to the top however - but the woman! you go girl!

Last edited by florigidge; 02-15-2007 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 04:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
I am surprised at some that are here, and some that went home. So now I have to think about what's left. People who I like, and of course therefore I think will go far:

*The big heavy funny kid with the curly hair
*The daddy of the newborn baby
*I don't remember hte indian guy's voice, so I can't for sure say about him
*The single mother

I do think it will be a guy this year. But I can't say for sure until after I see the first show, where I can really hear them again. Then I will predict! I was right every year except last year: I thought Chris Daughtry would win, and he didn't even get in the top 3. Then again, he already has a hit song and record so who knows, maybe he will actually "win", just not at American Idol!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Nope, who cares? Now, if we want to discuss the very few good shows out there, like House or Boston Legal..........too off topic.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
I think they did a good job picking the top 24. I did like Bailey Brown's voice but I do think she wasn't real unique ( she would end up another pop star somewhere between Kelly Clarkson and ...brain fart, the girl that sings Jesus take the wheel). I also liked the guy that was last to go home last next to sundance.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,668 times
Looks like the curly-haired heavy-set guy with glasses is the one who made the biggest impression so far... It will be interesting to see how he does on Tuesday night! I agree that the group audition he was in was awesome... I think probably the best audition they have ever aired on the show.

I really WANT to like Sundance - but for some reason his voice just doesn't capture me. Perhaps that will change as the show progresses.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:47 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
The dude that dresses like a homeless guy that missed the birth of his daughter to audition..... REALLY good singer....

I think Jory Steinberg got screwed. She was in the first line in Hollywood that they just eliminated to prove a point at the beginning of Tuesday's show last week..... (She was the one that was dressed exactly like Paula). Under no circumstance should she have been sent home that early. The judges got a burr up thier butts and wanted to scare everyone and she had the bad luck to be in that first line.... Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV