Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,862,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
He didn't take anything from anyone. And there's no such thing as "the last spot", there's only the way the producers and editors choose to air the program. For all you know he was the judges' first choice of the 12 men, but the producers felt it would make for better dramatic television to have him and Thaddeus be the last two to face the judges together on screen.
well i didn't literally mean "take", probably should've worded it better, but yeah that is true what you said. and honestly they're doing a lot for the sake of drama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,795,287 times
Question Ummmmmmm....

I was just wondering ....WHO died and named you a music EXPERT ??? I mean really, everybody has their OWN opinions about music . I'm a 'reverse oreo' and I ADORE Al Green. His songs are timeless!!! And my personal favorite artist for the last several years has been Kirk Franklin . But I can't help but wonder "IF" color is playing an issue with your judgement ? I certainly hope not !

May the BEST singer win !

p.s.
I LOVE Kris Alllen's song "Live Like We're Dying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
as far as andrew, casey, and crystal go, i know they're popular, but i really don't see the appeal. their vocals are average at best

do people not know what great singing is sounds like?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,098,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I was just wondering ....WHO died and named you a music EXPERT ??? I mean really, everybody has their OWN opinions about music . I'm a 'reverse oreo' and I ADORE Al Green. His songs are timeless!!! And my personal favorite artist for the last several years has been Kirk Franklin . But I can't help but wonder "IF" color is playing an issue with your judgement ? I certainly hope not !

p.s.
----long time kirk franklin fan!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,862,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post

p.s.
whoa! lol first off, what makes you so sure i'm black? and second, tori was one of my favorite contestants. she isn't black and i love her voice, and i'm upset about her being cut. and i also liked kelly clarkson the first season

regardless of genre, race, or vocal style, i know good singing when i hear it. no matter who they are or what they're singing, if it sounds good, i'm going to listen. gavin degraw, jason mraz, robin thicke, pink, are some non-black singers off the top of my head that i enjoy listening to. to me, it's about singing with conviction and feeling, and true talent. something i feel this season's contestants are lacking

not trying to get off topic, just trying to defend myself

Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,721,794 times
I was so upset about Angela not making it, until I saw Ellen today. WOOHOO!!! YAY KARA & ELLEN!!! I absolutely love Angela and she so deserves something good in her life.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,435,846 times
Why is Tim in the top 24? HE'S HORRIBLE!!! I couldn't believe they'd keep him and not the last guy that got eliminated (forgot his name...)

Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,395,548 times
LOL - Maybe "forgot his name" is why he got eliminated. This really IS Show Business - it's a tempered down version of the real thing. Judges are harsh because the singers need a reality check on the monster that is Hollywood - it will eat the faint of heart alive.

People with good voices get eliminated because they have no "star quality" - or because the person can sing but has no stage presence. Some are just really great Karaoke singers who will do very well in the bar and lounge scenes in their home towns, but they may not have the stomach for what lies ahead. Anyone who breaks down sobbing like Idol is the END of the Road for them is not ready for prime time. If you can't stand the rejection of a panel of judges on a reality show, how on earth will you handle the dog-eat-dog world of the movie and music business?

The sobbing ejected contestants forget -- Not every idol has gone on to HUGE fame and fortune, and not everyone who makes it to the top 24 has become memorable to the watching audience. Some made a few records, but who cares - they didn't turn into Madonna overnight. A few have taken the win and turned it into a gold mine. The rest seem to be OK players, showing up here and there.

I am sure the final judging on the 24 comes also from things we don't see -- the attitude, the gumption and pluck contestants show during the week, their ability to take criticism and grow from it, their willingness to change, their sense of self.... all of that has to be a part of the judging. WE only see them singing along with a few sob stories and their interactions right before or after singing. I'd bet the band and the coaches have a say in who sticks around. If you're a diva, you may go home. There are enough of those in Hollyweird already!

And sometimes being in second place - as Adam Lambert showed us - is a better bet than winning. Winning AI is just step ONE. You really have to work after that. Carrie Underwood has made that abundantly clear, as has Taylor Swift (whom I totally do NOT get, but good for her that she figured it all out!)

I like to watch this show because it is wonderful to watch people go for their dreams, overcome obstacles, and find their voice.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,455,351 times
Quote:

Oh, and the fact that Angela Martin wasn't put through is a crime and cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

I was so upset about Angela not making it, until I saw Ellen today. WOOHOO!!! YAY KARA & ELLEN!!! I absolutely love Angela and she so deserves something good in her life.
Your post made me go hunt down Ellen's web page to see if there was video of whatever you were alluding to. (There is.)

OMG, I have tears streaming down my face. Now I have to take back what I said earlier.

She wins and doesn't have to suffer the humiliation of getting shredded by the judges in front of 30 million people every week, being talked smack about all over message boards, or having her stomach in knots every Wednesday for months on end, being toyed with by Ryan as to whether she's in the bottom 3 or not. Go Angela! Go Ellen! Go Kara!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,395,548 times
Quote:
Your post made me go hunt down Ellen's web page to see if there was video of whatever you were alluding to. (There is.)

OMG, I have tears streaming down my face. Now I have to take back what I said earlier.

She wins and doesn't have to suffer the humiliation of getting shredded by the judges in front of 30 million people every week, being talked smack about all over message boards, or having her stomach in knots every Wednesday for months on end, being toyed with by Ryan as to whether she's in the bottom 3 or not. Go Angela! Go Ellen! Go Kara!
Agree - I already am happy that Ellen is on there. I think both Ellen and Simon are the powerhouses who can take the talented ones THEY think are good and do something with them no matter what the tweenies decide to vote for. I'm with you on that Yay! You know - it may turn out that she does better even than the AI winner -- at least she's ahead of the game. SHE's been on pins and needles for the past couple of weeks, though, knowing Ellen had invited her to be on the show... What a cool thing that is!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Simon was right about Haeley Vaughn being annoying.

She's cute. But her cuteness DOES turn to annoying. I thought that a week before Simon said it.

I was so disappointed that she made it into the top 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV