Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times

Advertisements

'American Idol' recap: Top 24 singers revealed, with 1 big mystery | NJ.com: Ent. Home - Impact - - New Jersey Entertainment | Music, Movies, TV, Events & More - NJ.com

He was replace by Tim Urban.... at the end where they dance and show the people in order of who made it to top 12..chris is gone!
They said due to illness or yanked him for having another contract/??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
as far as andrew, casey, and crystal go, i know they're popular, but i really don't see the appeal. their vocals are average at best

do people not know what great singing is sounds like?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM

235 posts, read 510,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
According to MTV news it was a guy named Chris Golightly who was disqualified.

Chris Golightly Disqualified From 'American Idol' Top 24 - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News
Did we ever see him? That name doesn't sound familiar and I don't remember him being picked for Top 24.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:

According to MTV news it was a guy named Chris Golightly who was disqualified.

Chris Golightly Disqualified From 'American Idol' Top 24 - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News
I have to question this, though:
Quote:
Sadly, according to Joe's Place, the old manager later found the contract release and e-mailed it to Golightly, but it was too late, and because he made the top 46 this year, he reportedly cannot try out for the show again next year.
How can that be true when we have a top 24 contestant this year who was in the top 46 (or whatever the number was) last year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post

Did we ever see him? That name doesn't sound familiar and I don't remember him being picked for Top 24.
Yes, we saw him several times. He kind of reminded me visually of Justin Guarini (click through the link and see his picture). They only showed 11 of the 12 boys who were picked on the show.

Oh, and the fact that Angela Martin wasn't put through is a crime and cruel.

Last edited by Jill61; 02-18-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
as far as andrew, casey, and crystal go, i know they're popular, but i really don't see the appeal. their vocals are average at best

Well, Al, musical taste, as with any preference, is a subjective thing. To believe your opinion is the only one that's right is the hallmark of an immature thinker. I mean that as an impersonal "you," not you specifically.

I'm a classically trained singer who studied with the Boston Symphony and sang on stage with Leonard Bernstein. I think that qualifies me as a decent enough judge of someone's singing ability, and a person with an informed opinion, and I think the three contestants mentioned are all great singers. They all have great control over their voices and the timbre in each voice is wonderful. I also like that they all play the guitar. A true musician is someone who plays more than one instrument (and I include voice as an instrument). Not only am I a singer but I also play piano, guitar, the flute, the harmonica, etc., and I compose my own songs - some are a fusion of alternative folk rock ambient and some are classical pieces. But Adam Lambert rocked my world last season and Kelly Clarkson is an amazing singer so I take nothing away from those who only sing. I'm referring to all around musicianship which is something I look for on AI.

But that's just my opinion. Others are welcome to disagree.

I do draw the line though at being insulted in that oh so innocent "who me? I'm just saying what I think" way that I see so often on message boards. You can state that you disagree with something, that you don't like a contestant or a show or whatever but leave out the personal attacks in your explanation as to why you feel that way. I'm speaking as a moderator here: as per the TOS, you may not attack and/or belittle others for having a different opinion. That's called baiting.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
i'm thoroughly convinced that those judges don't have a clue what they're doing. there is absolutely NO reason tori kelly should have been eliminated. her voice is damn near flawless, and i know it's not based solely off of vocal ability but she has the look and great stage presence as well...
I too think Tori should've been one of the top 12 girls.

Quote:

I disagree with you here. I think Andrew is a great singer. Crystal has a unique sound. I like Casey's style of singing although is stage presence is still extremely dull.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Well, Al, musical taste, as with any preference, is a subjective thing. To believe your opinion is the only one that's right is the hallmark of an immature thinker. I mean that as an impersonal "you," not you specifically.

I'm a classically trained singer who studied with the Boston Symphony and sang on stage with Leonard Bernstein. I think that qualifies me as a decent enough judge of someone's singing ability, and a person with an informed opinion, and I think the three contestants mentioned are all great singers. They all have great control over their voices and the timbre in each voice is wonderful. I also like that they all play the guitar. A true musician is someone who plays more than one instrument (and I include voice as an instrument). Not only am I a singer but I also play piano, guitar, the flute, the harmonica, etc., and I compose my own songs - some are a fusion of alternative folk rock ambient and some are classical pieces. But Adam Lambert rocked my world last season and Kelly Clarkson is an amazing singer so I take nothing away from those who only sing. I'm referring to all around musicianship which is something I look for on AI.

But that's just my opinion. Others are welcome to disagree.

I do draw the line though at being insulted in that oh so innocent "who me? I'm just saying what I think" way that I see so often on message boards. You can state that you disagree with something, that you don't like a contestant or a show or whatever but leave out the personal attacks in your explanation as to why you feel that way. I'm speaking as a moderator here: as per the TOS, you may not attack and/or belittle others for having a different opinion. That's called baiting.
okay, well just like you didn't mean "you" in a personal way, i didn't mean for "people" to be taking personally either. i was speaking of the general population and numerous other sites where i see those three favored over the more talented contestants, in my opinion. it wasn't my intention to offend anyone, or "bait", or "attack".

now as far as what i said earlier, yes, musical taste is subjective but vocal ability is not. and as someone who has also had professional training and considers themselves a talented vocalist, i believe i'm pretty qualified as well to make such assertions. if that's alright

Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I too think Tori should've been one of the top 12 girls.

I disagree with you here. I think Andrew is a great singer. Crystal has a unique sound. I like Casey's style of singing although is stage presence is still extremely dull.
ehh. i definitely won't say they're bad singers, but i don't find them great either. just average

i will admit that crystal does indeed bring something unique to the table, and i like her presence, but her voice leaves much to be desired. and with andrew, i heard more than just a few times where he fell off key, and he doesn't seem to have much control of his voice. he took the last slot from thaddeus, who i feel had a much more powerful voice and smooth vocals

Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
'American Idol' recap: Top 24 singers revealed, with 1 big mystery | NJ.com: Ent. Home - Impact - - New Jersey Entertainment | Music, Movies, TV, Events & More - NJ.com

He was replace by Tim Urban.... at the end where they dance and show the people in order of who made it to top 12..chris is gone!
They said due to illness or yanked him for having another contract/??

fyi as stated above

Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:

and with andrew, i heard more than just a few times where he fell off key, and he doesn't seem to have much control of his voice. he took the last slot from thaddeus, who i feel had a much more powerful voice and smooth vocals
He didn't take anything from anyone. And there's no such thing as "the last spot", there's only the way the producers and editors choose to air the program. For all you know he was the judges' first choice of the 12 men, but the producers felt it would make for better dramatic television to have him and Thaddeus be the last two to face the judges together on screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV