Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 16,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
BTW, as a participant in COBRA myself, I share your frustration! Although the full COBRA premiums are high, the price of comparable coverage in the private insurance market is astronomical.

On an intellectual level, I can appreciate why employers might be opposed to extending the standard COBRA past 18 months. But in practical terms, it seems insane to cut off that option for people in this economy -- particularly as it appears that insurers are raising rates like crazy to get ahead of any future restrictions that may be put on them with the passage of health care reform.

I find in New Jersey, that not only are the premiums higher than the very high full cobra premioms, but the coverage is not where near as good. Perscriptions, for example, are all paid as a percentage of the cost and not a copay.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

69 posts, read 170,516 times
My 35% subsidy of Cobra ends in May and the rest of my Cobra ends in August. Any suggestions as to what I should do and when? I am 62, have a pre-existing condition.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 16,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg0959 View Post
My 35% subsidy of Cobra ends in May and the rest of my Cobra ends in August. Any suggestions as to what I should do and when? I am 62, have a pre-existing condition.
I was told that ehealthinsurance.com is a good source to compare plans. In New Jersey, and I think it is true of some other states, have a rule that if your coverage is without gaps, they can't exclude pre-exixting conditions. It is very important that you get coverage when your Cobra expires.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM

208 posts, read 552,339 times
Quote:
SERIOUSLY...Is it something that can be treated outside the U.S. where it
might go for 1/10 the price here?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywantsme View Post
SERIOUSLY...Is it something that can be treated outside the U.S. where it
might go for 1/10 the price here?
Pre-existing conditions -- which may also be chronic, like diabetes, high blood pressure, or various heart diseases -- are not easily treated outside the U.S. "for 1/10 the price" because they require continued monitoring and corresponding adjustment of treatment.

Insurance companies do not focus solely on "one-fix" ailments in the category of "pre-existing conditions."

Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Default Republicans Delay Unemployment and Jobs Bills as Payback

It is being reported that the Republicans -- as payback for the Democrats' push for Health Care Reform legislation -- are intent on disrupting the schedule for that health care bill by delaying passage of all other pending legislation, even those bills which earlier had bipartisan support.

The delayed bills include: (1) HR 2847 -- a jobs creation bill; and (2) HR 4213 -- a tax extenders package that also includes the extensions of cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers, the COBRA premium subsidy, and other unemployment benefits.

HR 2847 was amended by the House and returned to the Senate for a final vote last week. Despite the fact that an earlier version of the bill passed by bipartisan vote in the Senate, Republicans are now holding up passage. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) has called for cloture; further debate has been limited; and a final vote on HR 2847 is expected on Tuesday.

HR 4213 was also passed by bipartisan vote in the Senate; it was sent to the House for a vote last week. The House is amending this bill as well, and staff members said they hoped to get the bill to the House floor for a vote sometime this week. But this amended bill will also have to return to the Senate for a final vote -- and Republicans have threatened to delay its passage.

Senate Approves Procedural Motion On Jobs Bill - WSJ.com
Dems Prep For All Night Session on Jobs Bill « The Speakers Lobby (http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/15/dems-prep-for-all-night-session/ - broken link)

Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 AM

21 posts, read 48,512 times
Quote:
Condolences: I'm in a similar spot myself regarding scheduling. I don't know your state so I don't know if this helps: in New York State and a number of others there is a mini-COBRA program that extends the 18 month federal program by another 18 months.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 AM

21 posts, read 48,512 times
Default More On COBRA

The good news: I spoke with a rep. from the NY State Dep't Of Insurance, and continuing on NY mini-COBRA should be a simple matter, apparently you contact the ex-employer and let them know that you want it; you sign up again as you did after separating from the ex-employer.

The scary news: I spoke with my COBRA admin., and my unsubsidized family plan rates went from $1685.00/month to $1929.00/month in January. (It's $675.00/month until May.)

So at least I have a chance to pay over $23,000/year to keep my family in medical coverage for the next 2 years or so.

I don't suppose Congressman Sestak made any headway with that second ARRA extension...? $1929.00/month is pretty steep even for someone with a job :-)

Here's hoping I find a real gig soon! (Norway, Canada, and France are looking awfully good around now...)

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 170,516 times
I am in New Jersey. Anyone have any info on this mini-cobra in NJ? Does the ex-employer have to agree? Please help.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
This is so weird. Why is everyone in the House mum on this? It sounds like the bill is ready to go, except for some few items to iron out. It doesn't take long for the House to vote; we've seen that before.

What kind of politicking is going on here? We need to call members of the House and whoever runs the House a set a fire under them. LET'S DO IT STARTING MONDAY.
I will plan on calling every 2-3 hours to check on the status of the bill. I hope others will jump on the wagon with me...

I just believe because there is that 30 day extension 'already' in place that they feel they have time to do it, and they wait until it is under the wire many times to get things done. In the meantime I feel that it's important for us to call out for the needed legislation to cover the one's LEFT out of the unemployment legislation, the long term unemployed, that will extend weeks/tiers and not leave them in desperate and helpless conditions. Let's not be distracted, the 4213 Bill will pass before the 30 day extension is done, but we need ALL unemployed covered and that will take a supplemental piece of legislation that will only be realized if WE speak out to our Senator's offices and House of Representatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment