Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 AM

493 posts, read 1,763,281 times

Advertisements

Found a website, sheepusadotorg. There are sheep breeders out there but I don't know why you don't see them in the fields as you drive around.
We are from a farming part of Co Durham and I loved springtime, seeing the lambs jumping about and having fun. I don't know when they go from that to just being plain dumb however. Did you ever wonder why they graze the road instead of staying put in their fields? It is to do with the salt, apparently they love salt. You'd better get over there with one of those bacon sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,597,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
In all my time living in the US, I hadn't seen sheep until a few months ago at the zoo in Chicago. How sad is that?
You need to look at Wales..That is not an intro into the old jokes about the Welsh and sheep..My in-laws live in Cardiff,,no sheep there only on the slab!! But my Mother and Father in-law live in Abertillery, about 20 miles outside of Cardiff. I went into property with Dad in-law a few years ago and the biggest problem, and expense, is repairing fences around the houses that sheep from the hills have flattened to get into gardens. Go into Abertillery town centre [very small place really] and the sheep are eating from the bins at bus stops. No fear whatsoever..The kids there are so used to it they give them names and the sheep know when the kids will be at the stops and turn up for the tit-bits..

Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 PM

493 posts, read 1,763,281 times
That is funny. When we were extending our house back home, a lamb kept wondering in there and bleating like crazy. Apparently its mother had died and it was looking for a new one poor thing. This sounds horrible but the farmer next door told us that when a ewe loses a lamb, sometimes they skin the dead lamb and put the skin over another lamb to fool the ewe whose lamb died, into feeding the other lamb. The things they do in the country.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
That is funny. When we were extending our house back home, a lamb kept wondering in there and bleating like crazy. Apparently its mother had died and it was looking for a new one poor thing. This sounds horrible but the farmer next door told us that when a ewe loses a lamb, sometimes they skin the dead lamb and put the skin over another lamb to fool the ewe whose lamb died, into feeding the other lamb. The things they do in the country.
I had heard that. Its sad but necessary.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,064,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
....a field of sheep all grazing on grass makes the most hilarious noise..... "maaare".....
Good point.

Why do we tell kids that sheep say "baa"?

The noise is definitely more "maaare" than "baaa", sheep can't pronounce the letter "b", can they?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,225,451 times
I grew up in the country in England (Wye Valley). Makes perfect sense to me - that way the orphaned lamb gets a new Mummy.

We see the odd one around here (Bucks County), but not many. I thought once we moved to the country they would be all over the place like at home, but sadly no. I miss them!

There are a LOT of deer here though - more than I have seen in the UK anywhere.

We're moving back to the city soon, so we'll be back to no wildlife/ farm animals then.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,131,962 times
Back to lambs! Now of course I want a chop!

Here's a site I frequently refer to for local farmers and community service agricultural groups. You'll see quite a few farms that rear up "organic" lamb/sheep, here.

Lamb is often on restaurant menus, and generally I'll see a small section for chops, and leg of lamb, but nothing compared to beef sections. Also for quite awhile, years ago I believe, much of the lamb was imported from Australia.

Another meat you'll infrequently see is veal. It was once as common as chicken but someone got it into their heads that it was evil to kill small critters, and veal disappeared.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Another meat you'll infrequently see is veal. It was once as common as chicken but someone got it into their heads that it was evil to kill small critters, and veal disappeared.
It is getting more accessible now after many years,,And I risk the wrath of our vegan friends by saying very tasty it is too..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,754,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
It is getting more accessible now after many years,,And I risk the wrath of our vegan friends by saying very tasty it is too..

To keep balance in the discussion, let it be known I prefer my roast critter to accompanied by suitably slaughtered carrots and mash.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
To keep balance in the discussion, let it be known I prefer my roast critter to accompanied by suitably slaughtered carrots and mash.
Of Course!!! Call me soft but could never look a potato in the eye whilst pealing it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom