Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about this student's commute to school by transit?

Queens teen has worst school-commute time in the world | New York Post

About 22 miles. Note with rush hour traffic, driving would be about 1hr20min. Without traffic, 45min.

Dude, people have 1:30 min. commutes on public transit all the time. I used to before I got my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Dude, people have 1:30 min. commutes on public transit all the time. I used to before I got my car.
That's still way above average. The kid in that link has a 2hr20min commute time one way to school.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
For those of you who think you can have your job, your day care, your social activities, and everything else within walking distance, here's something to consider:

State subsidy causes some of Colorado's 'daycare deserts,' providers say | CPR
Note map.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You get a very stilted view of the world, hanging out in your own yuppie/hipster neighborhood all the time. You think everyone has a job where they can work at home, goes out to eat at least four nights a week, etc, etc.

As far as your wife's plans, get back to us in 15 years.
Who said we eat out four times a week? We like to do a date night once a week, that is very important for a healthy relationship. Why such negativity towards having things you go to in your own neighborhood? The problem is most neighborhoods in this country isn't like that. Louisville, CO is a great example of a town that lacks having these things within walking distance. The town could have learned a lot by building itself around the idea that people walk.

Seeing my sister in law has no problem being a stay at home parent, and lots of parents choose to be stay at home parents rather than waste money on daycare so that someone else raises their children, I don't know why you think my wife can't also be a stay at home parent if she chooses to. Seems a bit odd to try to say it isn't possible. But I will be happy to get back to you in 15 years on this topic, I am sure you will want to know all about how we were able to afford having her be a stay at home parent.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Not all of us can afford to spend $15 (or 30RT) to be driven around everyday. I don't get you super privileged people sometimes.

In SF, I lived by the Great Highway in the Outer Sunset, and worked in the Civic Center area.

The N Judah, depending on its mood, would get me downtown anywhere from 30min to 1 1/2 hours. I always had to plan on the latter to be on the safe side, which resulted in me usually being super early for work and exhausted from having to lose sleep to account for Muni's unpredictable dysfunction.

And invariably late for social things because I can't always buffer in an extra hour for everything.
Great Highway is as remote as you can get. On a bad day my commute is 20 minutes. I can walk the almost 3 miles to work in about 50 minutes. I think that the outer Avenues are a great place to live if you surf, but a terrible place for everyone else. You'd be better off, in terms of travel time, near BART in the East Bay, Daly City, or South San Francisco.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Please post something at least tangetintally related to the thread topic. Personal child rearing habits are NOT on topic for the forum.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Great Highway is as remote as you can get. On a bad day my commute is 20 minutes. I can walk the almost 3 miles to work in about 50 minutes. I think that the outer Avenues are a great place to live if you surf, but a terrible place for everyone else. You'd be better off, in terms of travel time, near BART in the East Bay, Daly City, or South San Francisco.
It took me 35 minutes for the N Judah terminus to downtown, though that was late at night with no traffic interference. Neat area to walk to. I liked hearing the waves and ocean noises as I got closer to the beach (went for a night walk from about 9th street in the Inner Sunset to the Pacific Ocean).

Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
The other side of this is that when you live in a rural area, everything is farther away so you still waste time (and gas) driving everywhere. We live in a semi-rural area and you need to drive to get everything. Grocery store: 20 min. preschool: 15-20 min., mall: 30 min. places of employment: 30 min to 1:30 hours commute.

So, no, I don't think you save time living in a rural area. You don't have traffic, but have to plan on driving at least 10-20 miles on rural 2 lane roads to get to a Walmart or Target, to the grocery store, to go to the movies, and so on.
How true that is. A friend of mine who grew up in the suburb and now live in rural area laments how it takes 10 minutes to get to a hot dog place, 20 to Starbucks, perhaps over an hour to a HS football game when they are on the road.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:28 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Having lived in a large urban area and now living in a small rural community, I've noticed a major distinction in the amount of time that was lost in just waiting in lines and commuting. I think this is something people seldom think about, or figure the cost associated with the time that's lost.

For example, I live 3 miles from work and it takes 5 to 7 minutes to get there and have no trouble finding a place to park. When I lived in the city, I lived 5 miles from work and it took me 1 1/2 hours by bus. I had to take a bus because there wasn't anywhere to park. That was 1 1/2 hours each way, or 3 hours a day.

This is only a small example of what I'm referring to.

I challenge you to keep track of your time spent waiting in lines or traffic for a day.
You could WALK 5 miles faster than 1.5 hours . . . I mean, daaammmn. That is one slow bus. I live two miles from my work, and walk two or three days a week.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It took me 35 minutes for the N Judah terminus to downtown, though that was late at night with no traffic interference. Neat area to walk to. I liked hearing the waves and ocean noises as I got closer to the beach (went for a night walk from about 9th street in the Inner Sunset to the Pacific Ocean).
Off hours that is accurate. During the commute there is always some drama on the n-Judah that delays the trains 20+ minutes. It is literally faster for me to take the commuter bus over the Bay Bridge from Oakland and walk to FiDi for up to even a mile than it is to take the n-Judah to the same location from the outer sunset/Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning