Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM

423 posts, read 1,533,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
I miss california so much too......spending a sunday afternoon down in Old Town San Diego.....the sights...the people......THE ACTIVITIES!!!!!
Life here is so boring......

We're putting our house on the market soon.....thinking of asking less than we paid for it, so we can get out faster.........lol, how sad......
Great contribution I agree

And another one, the dam water company and there monopoly
I'd drop these jack boot jerks in a second and there 4% increase and we had record snow fall last winter, what the hell is going on with these criminals disguised as corporations?
I challenged them on my bill and I KNOW I didn't use that much water and when they do finally after 6 working days in calling with no results How do I know there not lying then?

They said if I don't want there water dig a well, great answer

Last edited by Goldwing; 09-09-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,510,173 times
I'm actually really encouraged by this thread. There is nothing in these complaints (other perhaps than the large families) that I didn't hear people complain about all the time in NC. Taxes, water bills, rude people, bad drivers, etc etc. I think there is a thread like this on every state forum!

Nothing in these complaints seems specific to SLC to me so I'm thinking it's all just perception and although UT isn't for everyone, nothing too scary in these posts.

The one I'd add, which IS a bit scary imo, is that it's overdue for a major earthquake. Now that is something UT has which not every state has, and something of concern to me.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
I live in Cottonwood Heights and they now have there own police department that will soon sneak in more taxes

You should see these guys hiding on side street in there speed traps

I'm going to make a bumper stick just for Cottonwood Heights

Welcome to Gestopo Heights the home of higher taxes and speed traps
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the police department was a mistake. I wrote two editorials about it when they were voting on it in January and it didn't make much of a difference.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I'm actually really encouraged by this thread. There is nothing in these complaints (other perhaps than the large families) that I didn't hear people complain about all the time in NC. Taxes, water bills, rude people, bad drivers, etc etc. I think there is a thread like this on every state forum!

Nothing in these complaints seems specific to SLC to me so I'm thinking it's all just perception and although UT isn't for everyone, nothing too scary in these posts.

The one I'd add, which IS a bit scary imo, is that it's overdue for a major earthquake. Now that is something UT has which not every state has, and something of concern to me.
I think your wrong in Nothing in these complaints seems specific to SLC

Highest gas price in the Continental US
Highest use of antidepressants
Highest sexual offenders
Want more specifics?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the police department was a mistake. I wrote two editorials about it when they were voting on it in January and it didn't make much of a difference.
Don't be surprised people leaving Cottonwood Heights for just this reason
The Sheriffs where doing just fine.

There already pissing off people trying to pick there kid up from school and making them more nervous.

They set up a trap with a paid fake pedestrian standing on the curb and nailing people for not making a full stop and the guy never left the freking curb

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,510,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
I think your wrong in Nothing in these complaints seems specific to SLC

Highest gas price in the Continental US
Highest use of antidepressants
Highest sexual offenders
Want more specifics?
I don't know. Statistics can always be manipulated. I've seen the same things claimed on the CA board (other than the anti depressant use).

I really don't care if they have the highest use of antidepressants. I don't think it's b/c UT is bad, but rather b/c there is so much pressure to have many children at a young age and be thrilled about it. I didn't have lots of children at a young age, so am not concerned about that.

Sexual offenders, well, highest or not that is of course a concern. I would never rent or buy without checking out the neighborhood for offenders (online). Of course they can move, and be anywhere, but that is true everywhere in the U.S.

Highest gas? Again, CA claims the same. Maybe one week it's UT and another CA, I don't know. But I do know that I will not live out in the burbs where I have to drive to everything and I do know I drive a car with great gas mileage, so this is not a big concern to me. In fact (I know this won't be popular) I have long believed gas prices should be way higher everyhwere in the US so people will stop buying those guzzlers and moving way out and driving everywhere.

Lots of speed traps? I lived somewhere like that not long ago. I loved it. I don't speed. I don't want speeders going through my neighborhood. I feel like it made the neighborhood safer for everyone, esp. the children.

Look, I don't even live in UT and I'm not saying I wouldn't hate it--how do I know if I would? But all I'm saying is that these exact complaints are made just about everywhere on this board.

The one noticeably missing is people complaining how many "transplants" are moving in, but I'd bet a fair number of LDS folk think this too.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,744,936 times
I wish all of you who hate absolutely everything about anything the best of luck selling your homes and moving onto a better life.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
SCHOOL SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE STUCK IN THE 50'S
What do you mean? Are you talking about what they are teaching or how the students are treated.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM

34 posts, read 157,627 times
There's a neat "gas heat map" showing current gas prices...Utah is pretty high but not the highest...Alaska actually is (though it is not shown on this map).

USA National Gas Temperature Map

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

550 posts, read 2,170,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
What do you mean? Are you talking about what they are teaching or how the students are treated.
That's a gross exaggeration. I just got out of the public school system so I should be pretty well versed in my knowledge of it. Yeah, we're horribly underfunded just because some of the revenue (*cough cough* gambling) isn't present. But I still feel I've learned well. And of course we weren't treated like it's the '50s. I mean, cmon.

Last edited by Lmejh; 09-09-2008 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: past tense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah