Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Think I'll stay out of this one but the 3 above yes
1,000% in agreement. Salt Lake City proper seems to be this little liberal black hole in Utah; outside the city limits the Republicans rule the roost. Oh well, at least Rocky is gone. Corradini got us the Gateway and the Olympics, and uh Becker well, he's making our city green. Rocky? He got us a debate with Sean Hannity. Woohoo. But whenever people say Utah is totally conservative, I just tell them, "Salt Lake's had a liberal mayor since 1974."

Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Its not smog its "inversion" when I frist saw the "inversion" out here I told my parents how rotten it was and how it reminded me of "the brown cloud" from back home. I actually had some one tell me its not smog dear its enversion. Oh well at least in New Mexico we had a more fitting name for our inversion, it really does look brown.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:48 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times
Well if u grew up with road names u would see how much easier it is than a number system....all u would have to say was I live on such and such road in whatever city....nothing worse than driving on a road than all of a sudden the number disappears..trust me it ahppens...so basically the grid SUCKS!!!! I mean I live on a named street but when I order a pizza I have to give them the number..how stupid is that??

Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post

4. The mayor of Salt Lake City is always way too liberal.

9. Some Utahns are going to vote for Obama.
Someone's distain is another person's love. I would not even consider SLC if not for the two above. These are drawing me to UT. BTW, I won't be voting for Obama in UT, I'll be voting in the state in which I"m currently registered. I could switch it over before Nov. but I'd rather keep my vote in a swing state where it has a chance of making a difference. Get rid of the electoral college!!! Direct representation!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Quote:
The Ten Worst Things About Living In Utah:

1. People move here from other states, then complain that it's not like the place they moved from.

2. Every time something bad happens, people try to blame it on the Mormons.

Complainer: I stubbed my toe!
Haters: It's the Mormons! If they hadn't made these streets so wide, you wouldn't have missed the curb!

3. People talk about things like "conventions at the temple" as though that actually made sense.

6. People bad-mouth the majority demographic, then claim they're being ostracized by the very people they were talking trash about.

7. People get all confused by the road numbering system, thinking that for some reason it's easier to know the names of 50 different roads, and where they are, than to simply drive along a grid. If I said I lived on Vanderbilt Drive, would you know where that was? No? How about if I said I lived on 1300 East? Ah. Now you just head east til you get to 1300. That was easy.

8. People here actually get bent out of shape over things like other people being too friendly. Or too blonde. You know, serious societal issues.
Regarding the selections above. It really is just a couple of people monopolizing (almost said monotonizing -- Fruedian slip?). Everyone else is able to see positives and negatives in a more balanced view. Unfortunately the vocal few make this a much more divisive forum than it should be.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

401 posts, read 855,464 times
We all should be able to see the positives and negatives.
And in order for changes to happen, people have to voice their opinions.
Remember the idiom: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Just remember not to be squeaky to antagonize others.
Be honest, respectful of others (no matter what), and be yourself.
We all should be able to live in peace around each other no matter what race, religion, or creed another has chosen.
PEACE should be in every day!!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Well if u grew up with road names u would see how much easier it is than a number system....all u would have to say was I live on such and such road in whatever city....nothing worse than driving on a road than all of a sudden the number disappears..trust me it ahppens...so basically the grid SUCKS!!!! I mean I live on a named street but when I order a pizza I have to give them the number..how stupid is that??

I remember thinking the same thing. That this numbered thing really bites. It did take me a bit, but I finally decided that it is a bit easier to get around. I grew up with named streets all my life too. I live on a named street now, but never have to give the number (other than my house number) when I order a pizza or whatever. I can't remember the last time that anyone asked what my actually street coordinate is. I don't even KNOW what my street coordinate is.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post

wow....they actually deliver pizza to your house? You found a pizza place that delivers???? wow...

I am so jealous! I haven't had that kind of convience since I moved here.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
1. People move here from other states, then complain that it's not like the place they moved from.

2. Every time something bad happens, people try to blame it on the Mormons.
THANK..............YOU!!!! (I think chazcrew deserves a standing ovation for that)

Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
for that bumper sticker idea, you know that you can go to cafepress.com or zazzle.com and actually make your own bumper stickers, dontcha? they'd be professionally done (so long as you can provide professional graphics and stuff), and you would only have to order as many as you want (even if that is just one). then, you let it sit, and if others want it too, they buy, and you get a percentage.

sweet deal, huh?

now i'm pondering... maybe i'll start some satirical bumper stickers there. if i do, i'll give you guys a link.

aaron out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah