Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

39 posts, read 81,582 times

Advertisements

I experienced a typical Ventura moment last night that I just thought I would share. I have been trying to be more aware of my surroundings and justification of my desire to move out of this area. I just sat back and took in the entire situation so that I could remember it to put together as a story.
This was the scene:
It was about 7:45pm on a Wednesday night in East Ventura. We realized we were out of water and since we have a strict policy in my house of the buddy system when going to the store after 5pm (for safety), my 16 year old son joined me for the trip to fill 4 bottles of water at a Glacier Water machine in front of Circle K. They are cheaper there as opposed to the other machines in front of Ralphs and the water just tastes better at the one at Circle K. So we pull up to Circle K and the parking lot was about half full. The first thing you notice is a car to the left with the bass pumping and gangster rap playing at a loud level. Over to the right was a small group of guys and a very young girl just standing around talking next to a car. Circle K almost always has only one clerk working and he was out having a cigarette for a brief moment until customers started walking in. It comes in waves. He got busy really quick as everyone seemed to get in line at once and it was backed up beyond the coffee island. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, watching and taking it all in as if I were a reporter, trying to cover a story. My son was in front of the car at the water machine filling the bottles. From the left of him a couple of young Hispanic males with low shorts, high socks, and baseball caps briskly walked past my son and into the store. About 30 seconds later, they very briskly walked back out of the store, toting 2 cases of Corona in each hand, giggling. As I sat there in amazement, I watched them head to the Auto Zone parking lot and go behind a wall. I then saw the brake lights and a car began to back up out of a corner parking space. I watched with my mouth open as the car full of idiots (2 in addition to the 2 thieves) drove off while hottin’ and hollerin’ with joy and turned right on Telephone. While the car was backing out, I decided to call 911, hoping I could see a license plate number when they backed out. I didn’t. But I gave them a detailed but concise description of what happened, the thieves, and the car. My son was furious with me as he knew who the kids were and they knew who he was and if they get busted, he was the only kid they saw that they recognized, that he is now in danger of getting “jumped” at school. He is very careful to keep up a good rapport with the bad kids at school so that he is protected from their wrath. He feels that to stay safe at school, he needs to “keep his friends close and enemies closer”. He also has witnessed so many people steal beer in that same fashion from that store and from Ralphs too, that he couldn’t understand why I thought it was such a big deal. We had a long talk. I realized that my son is getting immune to the crime of the area. We have now stepped up our talks about moving.

Last edited by Nisini; 05-06-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: copied and pasted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM

39 posts, read 81,582 times
Rgb, You know I have been nothing but honest and I only have the best intentions on the info I am giving you.
Maybe the area is somewhat acceptable for a single person, but if you plan on having a family someday, it’s kind of bad news.
I have to tell you though, Ventura is bad enough, we wont even go to Oxnard/Pt Hue/Channel Islands/Silverstrand/Hollywood Beach/Oxnard Shores - what ever name you want to put on it them, they are still Oxnard with the same problems. I hate to see you being misled.
I was talking to a high schooler in Thousand Oaks about how kids his age view Ventura. The answer: the ghetto. I can’t even say the words he used to describe what they thought of Oxnard. Thousand Oaks area has better doctors, better stores and shopping by far, and quite a bit more piece of mind in the lower crime rates. The upkeep of the city seems to be handled better too, less run-down buildings, trash in the streets, etc. Only a little warmer on warm days but definitely manageable. And the cost of living is about the same as Ventura area.
Moorpark is ok too, but to me, Simi is a little weird. Camarillo is not my favorite but is relatively ok.

Good luck to you and have a great trip!

Last edited by Nisini; 05-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: c+p

Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's a bit of a joke if the claim is that
There are no homeless in Florida. South Florida
is known as a third world country. Plenty of
Homeless flock to key west. Plenty of drugs and gangs and crime
Run rampant up and down the Florida.
If you miss the slums, you probably live in some
Gated 55+ community.
Um, a huge portion of SW FL (many parts of the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area, Sarasota, much of Fort Myers, the Lee Island Coast [Sanibel, Captiva, Boca Grande, etc.], Naples, etc. - all the way down to the Everglades National Park) is absolutely beautiful and idyllic - in Sarasota, where my parents live, gated communities are actually quite rare (theirs is ungated and is actually walking distance to the funky 'n' hip [and increasinbly YOUNG!!] downtown Sarasota). There are also plenty of pretty areas (both natural and manmade) in the southern half of CA. There are some really ugly areas mixed in (just as there would be almost everywhere, including south FL), but don't get so defensive about it.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
eh. We will see what the 2008 Mazda3 says to the masses...
As long as you're wearing the appropriate jogging suit, your makeup is in good shape and your hair is done, you'll be just fine

Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
As long as you're wearing the appropriate jogging suit, your makeup is in good shape and your hair is done, you'll be just fine
I don't have jogging suits, I buy most of my clothes at Target and Khols, I drive a cheap Chevy, I don't play golf, etc and I have no issues at all living in one of the wealthiest areas in the Conejo Valley. This isn't Orange County....

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisini View Post
I experienced a typical Ventura moment last night that I just thought I would share. I have been trying to be more aware of my surroundings and justification of my desire to move out of this area. I just sat back and took in the entire situation so that I could remember it to put together as a story.
This was the scene:
It was about 7:45pm on a Wednesday night in East Ventura. We realized we were out of water and since we have a strict policy in my house of the buddy system when going to the store after 5pm (for safety), my 16 year old son joined me for the trip to fill 4 bottles of water at a Glacier Water machine in front of Circle K. They are cheaper there as opposed to the other machines in front of Ralphs and the water just tastes better at the one at Circle K. So we pull up to Circle K and the parking lot was about half full. The first thing you notice is a car to the left with the bass pumping and gangster rap playing at a loud level. Over to the right was a small group of guys and a very young girl just standing around talking next to a car. Circle K almost always has only one clerk working and he was out having a cigarette for a brief moment until customers started walking in. It comes in waves. He got busy really quick as everyone seemed to get in line at once and it was backed up beyond the coffee island. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, watching and taking it all in as if I were a reporter, trying to cover a story. My son was in front of the car at the water machine filling the bottles. From the left of him a couple of young Hispanic males with low shorts, high socks, and baseball caps briskly walked past my son and into the store. About 30 seconds later, they very briskly walked back out of the store, toting 2 cases of Corona in each hand, giggling. As I sat there in amazement, I watched them head to the Auto Zone parking lot and go behind a wall. I then saw the brake lights and a car began to back up out of a corner parking space. I watched with my mouth open as the car full of idiots (2 in addition to the 2 thieves) drove off while hottin’ and hollerin’ with joy and turned right on Telephone. While the car was backing out, I decided to call 911, hoping I could see a license plate number when they backed out. I didn’t. But I gave them a detailed but concise description of what happened, the thieves, and the car. My son was furious with me as he knew who the kids were and they knew who he was and if they get busted, he was the only kid they saw that they recognized, that he is now in danger of getting “jumped” at school. He is very careful to keep up a good rapport with the bad kids at school so that he is protected from their wrath. He feels that to stay safe at school, he needs to “keep his friends close and enemies closer”. He also has witnessed so many people steal beer in that same fashion from that store and from Ralphs too, that he couldn’t understand why I thought it was such a big deal. We had a long talk. I realized that my son is getting immune to the crime of the area. We have now stepped up our talks about moving.
Thank you Nisini,

Based on what I saw in my time there it's not too shocking and good for you trying to talk with your son about what actually IS normal and proper.

I hate that people could get immune to this stuff, including the managers of these kinds of places (the guy at LaQuinta just seemed scared and like he was just trying to get by himself, he was Asian and didn't speak very good English).

It is interesting to study why Texas culture has not disintegrated in the same ways due to immigration (legal or not) from Mexico. San Antonio is also majority Hispanic yet it does not have the same level of issues, and it seems the cultures blend better (the better parts of each rising to the top, instead of the lower levels of each forming the majority culture).

I absolutley agree just from reading here if I were to have kids I would most likely be movin' up the hill if I choose Ventura or Oxnard.

But, honestly all this speculation has just showed me I need to visit again. I wish it were not so! It's not cheap.

honestly a 20 mile commute isn't that bad. I commuted 30 miles when I worked at Beale AFB to Rocklin. It is a consideration though.

I am looking at some of the nicer condo's in Ventura and am going to check out all the Archestone's in Thousand Oaks, and Channel Islands.

Though, to be honest I'm staying at a hotel that looks a little shady in Channel Islands (it would not but based on the knowledge I've gained and the price I know the types of people it will probably attract, based on reviews and price point). I want to know just how I'm going to feel in these areas...at night. If I don't feel comfortable there for one night it will play big into my decision.

I feel really bad for your son, I hope you find a nice affordable place somewhere, it really is not that way everywhere, even Texas.

I DO hope Ventura makes a turnaround and I think it should and could, but in your situation, why wait?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Um, a huge portion of SW FL (many parts of the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area, Sarasota, much of Fort Myers, the Lee Island Coast [Sanibel, Captiva, Boca Grande, etc.], Naples, etc. - all the way down to the Everglades National Park) is absolutely beautiful and idyllic - in Sarasota, where my parents live, gated communities are actually quite rare (theirs is ungated and is actually walking distance to the funky 'n' hip [and increasinbly YOUNG!!] downtown Sarasota). There are also plenty of pretty areas (both natural and manmade) in the southern half of CA. There are some really ugly areas mixed in (just as there would be almost everywhere, including south FL), but don't get so defensive about it.
seriously, Naples, FL is one of the nicest places around. Fort Myers is not as nice but Sanibel is awesome and the other places I really can't speak to but I can't say it's a third world slum!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
I really don't care if other women gossip about me at the pool or church because my roots are showing and I need a touch up, or my spray tan is too orange.

I DO care about getting jumped in an alley or on a bike path though, by something other than a mountain lion.

Speaking of, what DOES a girl have to do get a weapon in the state of CA?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Based on what I saw in my time there it's not too shocking and good for you trying to talk with your son about what actually IS normal and proper.

So which is worse... a teenager on a beer run or a teenager tagging someone's car with swastikas?

Newbury Park suffers string of anti- Semitic acts | www.toacorn.com | Thousand Oaks Acorn

Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Well, considering the use of crayons, and that it's not a pervasive part of the culture (such as the Hispanic gangs in the area) I'd say there is no comparison. You and I both know that what Nisini saw was not an attempt to say 'here is one isolated incident' make a conclusion and compare it to another isolated incident near Thousand Oaks.

No, all Nisini had to do was leave her house after 5pm and she could bet on witnessing something most of us would find very troubling.

I'm not too worried about running into the Crayon Mafia, and if anything, they would at least leave mea lone because I'm white.

Again, I'm looking for short term safety, I'm not in a position to wait ten years because things might turn around (nor is Nisini) I'm worried about the next year.

I'm sure TO has a wake up call and they will handle the situation in school. What is Ventura doing about gangs and to create more safety for her children in the schools in Ventura? (not to metion yours)?
---------------------------------------------------------------
"Capt. Bill Ayub, Thousand Oaks assistant police chief, said earlier this week he doesn’t think the crimes point to an emerging trend or the work of an organized hate group.

“I think it’s some kids being stupid,” he said. “I also don’t want to minimize it because there have been Jewish people targeted by these folks.”

Earlier this month, two boys—one 12, the other 13—were arrested for marking swastikas and anti-Semitic phrases on a Jewish teacher’s classroom at Sycamore Canyon School on March 16.

On April 3, a swastika was carved into the hood of a car on Fallbrook Avenue. The owner is not Jewish.

The next day, vandals struck Sycamore Canyon again, spray painting a swastika on a walkway and stealing candy from a classroom. T.O. detectives don’t think the boys from the earlier crime at the school were involved and continue to investigate the incident, Ayub said.

On April 10, crayon-drawn swastikas and a picture of a person hung by a noose appeared on a playhouse in front of a home on Cordova Court. The vandal also wrote racial slurs on the play structure, which children in the neighborhood have used for the past seven years, Ayub said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County