Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM

442 posts, read 1,508,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
About all I can add is, in the Asheville Citizen newspaper, on Fridays, is an entertainment insert "Take Five." The sort of music the original poster indicated preference for is in there, as well as a variety of cultural restaurants. Then the Mountain Xpress weekly paper has hundreds of sections on activities, groups who share common interests, and art events. This is a mountain town, with small-town advantages but city conveniences. While the poster's car was broken into and others cited similar problems, Asheville still has half the U.S. crime rate. As for posters who hate their bosses, so does everybody.

And I also want to say the reason why folks got upset at the top of the thread is because the poster said the people here (me) are not sophisticated or "hot." Most people don't say stuff like that around me, because I'm so educated, independent, and good-looking. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, too often posters say rude things because of the anonymity of forums. Southerners have manners they were born and raised with. When they come across someone who doesn't, this is the "culture shock" that outsiders refer to. They can't understand why they don't get any sympathy when they criticize folks and where they live. And after all, since surviving last winter's blizzard together, we really don't have the energy to politely slap you.

Now, if I wanted to, just today and within the city limits of Asheville, I could visit a photography exhibit, listen to a jazz band, eat lunch at a Middle Eastern restaurant, go canoeing down the river or go horseback riding (llama treks and hikes along the Applachian trail are not in town, so that don't count), stop by a Farmer's Market and buy local fresh produce, go into the Historical Grove Arcade downtown and buy a handwoven shawl spun from livestock on a nearby farm, have a drink at an outdoor cafe, and attend Shakespeare in the Park tonight, followed by some salsa dancing before going home to just about any type of neighborhood that I have chosen to live in, priced three and four times less than anything in California, New York City, or Miami. I could tune in to our local TV news, hear about our African American mayor attending Tiger Woods' golf course celebration here in town, and find out that this morning, while there's a heat wave everywhere else in the country, the lows at our airport were in the 60s.

You know, I prefer the coastal South, I wouldn't mind living in Venice Beach, and I prefer New Orleans jazz to Mountain bluegrass, but after all these years living here, I can't find a good enough reason to leave. But if I find myself getting sick from all the whining at this website, I can go to the Level One Trauma Center in town, or grab my camping stuff and within ten minutes be sitting by a huge lake, watching the stars, and ain't nobody gonna bother me and my two dogs.
We'll be on a mountaintop with our two dogs, too - looking at the stars and thanking them for this piece of heaven. Well said! gigimac - There's a place for everyone - when you feel like you're home you'll know you've got it right. I, too am surprised by the Asheville bashing on this thread - it's just a little mountain town trying to stay current and maintain the locals peace of mind at the same time - no easy task.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
We'll be on a mountaintop with our two dogs, too - looking at the stars and thanking them for this piece of heaven. Well said! gigimac - There's a place for everyone - when you feel like you're home you'll know you've got it right. I, too am surprised by the Asheville bashing on this thread - it's just a little mountain town trying to stay current and maintain the locals peace of mind at the same time - no easy task.
You do realize that the rich outsiders are buying all the mountain tops, and posting NO TRESPASSING signs, to keep the poor down (the other 99%) in the valley where they belong. The rest of us (99.9% of the people) will have to share the few mountain tops that are on public land.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You do realize that the rich outsiders are buying all the mountain tops, and posting NO TRESPASSING signs, to keep the poor down (the other 99%) in the valley where they belong. The rest of us (99.9% of the people) will have to share the few mountain tops that are on public land.
Perspective: There is always someone richer than me; there is always someone poorer than me. My mountain will always be higher, or lower, than someone else's mountain. With wealth and demographics, we're dealing with shades of gray, not black (rich) and white (poor). And we're all pieces of the same collage in an interdependent society, whether on the mountain or in the valley. We enrich ONE ANOTHER'S lives!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
the Parkies wrote:
Perspective: There is always someone richer than me; there is always someone poorer than me. My mountain will always be higher, or lower, than someone else's mountain. With wealth and demographics, we're dealing with shades of gray, not black (rich) and white (poor). And we're all pieces of the same collage in an interdependent society, whether on the mountain or in the valley. We enrich ONE ANOTHER'S lives!
It's always healthy to keep the proper perspective. Everything is realtive. Like everywhere else, Asheville has some pros and Asheville has some cons. Some people will love it and some will people hate it. Differernt strokes for different folks. We enrich each other with our differences.

blessings...Franco

Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM

22 posts, read 84,369 times
Asheville has a fun music scene and lots of galleries. Golf courses are all over the place, too. Real estate is not all that expensive. Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-02-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM

162 posts, read 633,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersbear View Post
Real estate is not all that expensive.
I wish that it were so, but compared to many places it's way overpriced. Price per square foot compares miserably with most parts of the country, i.e., every where except CA, AZ, FL, and NY.

Quote:
There's a good article about it in this newsletter. They like the town a lot.
North Carolina Retirement - Retirement and Real Estate in Asheville, North Carolina (http://greatretirementspots.com/asheville-north-carolina-retirement.htm - broken link)
Nice article, but it's over a year old, so was written before the bubble burst.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miokie View Post

Nice article, but it's over a year old, so was written before the bubble burst.

More an observation than anything else, but this thread is almost a year old, too... I just wonder why it's been brought back to life with an out-of-date article.

Can't this thread just die in peace?

P.S. I do see the irony in me keeping it alive by posting - I just wonder if this is a good candidate for a mod lock.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 AM

56 posts, read 244,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
That is SO well said. I've always thought that- but sometimes it is hard for everyone to live with that- esp. a teenager- my 17 yr old was crying in the car yesterday when I picked her up from school (at the fact that she doesn't have a car) when she sees other 17 yr olds in SUVs "bigger than her room". Maybe it's the NO TRESPASSING signs that are so objectionable. It takes alot of maturity to live w/ the money doesn't buy happiness philosophy when you are a "have not" surrounded by "haves".

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 42,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
What? If you don't like Asheville then don't live there. It's as simple as that. Don't complain about it. Just leave.

Nacht - the whole point of these threads is to put opinions out there so people can get a better idea of the place.

I've been contemplating Asheville lately as I've heard alot of buzz about the place, and I wanted to check these threads so I could get both sides of the story.

All I can say is, if you are typical of the type of person I would find in Asheville, I don't think I'll be moving there any time soon.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,201 times
I will be moving to AVL in a couple of months and am a little nervous after reading some of these posts. After hearing all the wonderful things people have said about the city, I felt so excited about my upcoming move after landing a job at the hospital there.

Coming from Miami/FT. Lauderdale, I do admit that I am looking to get away from the craziness you find in South Florida. Yes, the beach is beautiful, nightlife is always on, and the house market is as bad as Asheville's (so I gather), but I am looking for a little "small town" feel with a "city attitude".

I have made wonderful friends in Florida and would stay...but most of them are leaving too.
I hope my personal experience is greater than what I've read so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina