Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Again, YOU DON'T NEED TO WORK FOR THEM!

Go start a company yourself, work for yourself. You don't need to work for anybody if you don't think you are compensated properly.
There are few things more irritating than dunces who scream "Start your own company!" when someone is having a tough time finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
There are few things more irritating than dunces who scream "Start your own company!" when someone is having a tough time finding a job.
Dunces? How about the ones who can't grasp the difference between people who are disdainful of 8 bucks an hour and those who are unemployed?

Get with the thread.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
You are the one who said you don't want to work for $8/hour. What are the other choices do you have?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
You are the one who said you don't want to work for $8/hour. What are the other choices do you have?
I didn't say anything about not wanting to work for 8 an hour. I have gotten by on that while looking for better paying jobs. The problem is that the majority of jobs being created in this economy tend to be in the low-wage sector. That is forcing overqualified people into taking those jobs, since it's harder to get into something that would fit their pay grade in a healthy economy.

Starting your own business is a lousy suggestion because many people don't have the ability (and in a ton of cases, the money) to do that. You need money just to get started, and even if you are great at it you probably won't generate a profit for at least a couple of years. That, and if you fail (and the HUGE majority who start businesses will,) you will end up deeper in the hole than when you started.

8 Questions to Ask Before Launching Your Own Business - On Careers (usnews.com)

I suggest reading that and seeing just how much it takes before blindly throwing out the "Start your own business!" rhetoric.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about not wanting to work for 8 an hour. I have gotten by on that while looking for better paying jobs. The problem is that the majority of jobs being created in this economy tend to be in the low-wage sector. That is forcing overqualified people into taking those jobs, since it's harder to get into something that would fit their pay grade in a healthy economy.

Starting your own business is a lousy suggestion because many people don't have the ability (and in a ton of cases, the money) to do that. You need money just to get started, and even if you are great at it you probably won't generate a profit for at least a couple of years. That, and if you fail (and the HUGE majority who start businesses will,) you will end up deeper in the hole than when you started.

8 Questions to Ask Before Launching Your Own Business - On Careers (usnews.com)

I suggest reading that and seeing just how much it takes before blindly throwing out the "Start your own business!" rhetoric.

I happen to know what it takes to start your own business though many businesses don't require either skills or capital to start such as lawn mow and janitorial service. My parents did that for a while when they first immigrated to the country legally.

So you want to work for $8/hour but want to call that slavery? I am not following you.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I happen to know what it takes to start your own business though many businesses don't require either skills or capital to start such as lawn mow and janitorial service. My parents did that for a while when they first immigrated to the country legally.

So you want to work for $8/hour but want to call that slavery? I am not following you.
I don't know why you are assuming all this, I never said that 8 an hour is slavery.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
I don't know why you are assuming all this, I never said that 8 an hour is slavery.
Consider who you're talking to.

You won't win (you'll never get your point across).

Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure you know what we are talking about here.

So you disagree with my opinion and you disagree with theirs?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Quote:
I completely disagree with this. This is not 1712; this is 2012 where we don't have slavery. It's a free market. You don't have to work for $8/hour if you don't want to. Nobody puts a gun on your head to force you to accept it.

Let me get this straight:

1. You need the money
2. You agree to take the $8/hour to do the job
3. You call this exploitative?

You have to be kidding me. If you don't like the salary, walk away or open your own company. Frankly speaking, there are literally billions of people wanting that $8/hour. You don't want it, the company will just easily ship that job overseas where people are willing to work for $8/day. You need the money more than the company need you.

Please get out of this entitlement mentality. America was not built on "I deserve XYZ." America was built on "I earned XYZ with my effort."

And I completely disagree with you. The free market is a sham and doesn't work. Anyone who buys into the right-wing/libertarian philosophy of free markets is only fooling themselves.

Your entire reply to me only reeks of propagating the race to the bottom. If you want to be someone's property, that's fine with me. Just don't look at me when you need someone to back you up when fighting for you right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
And I completely disagree with you. The free market is a sham and doesn't work. Anyone who buys into the right-wing/libertarian philosophy of free markets is only fooling themselves.

Your entire reply to me only reeks of propagating the race to the bottom. If you want to be someone's property, that's fine with me. Just don't look at me when you need someone to back you up when fighting for you right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Suggesting that people are fooling themselves is not a valid reason why the free market may or may not be a sham. Have you considered justifying your claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment