Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 63 29.17%
London 55 25.46%
Hong Kong 38 17.59%
Tokyo 31 14.35%
Paris 29 13.43%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 PM

10,609 posts, read 15,924,390 times

Advertisements

1.Tokyo / NYC

3.London
4.Paris

Not visited Hong Kong but i think i would rank it 3rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 02:52 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
What would be the justification for grouping HK with the other four cities? I'm not following. Is it just because of the impressive skyline and the incredible density in a few neighborhoods?

HK is pretty much a business city only, is more of a Singapore-style city-state than a conventional metro area, and is significantly smaller than the others. Its global cultural contributions are rather minor, its history is extremely short, and I can't think of anything truly iconic.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:36 PM

401 posts, read 646,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What would be the justification for grouping HK with the other four cities? I'm not following. Is it just because of the impressive skyline and the incredible density in a few neighborhoods?

HK is pretty much a business city only, is more of a Singapore-style city-state than a conventional metro area, and is significantly smaller than the others. Its global cultural contributions are rather minor, its history is extremely short, and I can't think of anything truly iconic.
Not true at all, Hong Kong has a population of almost 8M whereas Paris has a population of 2.2M (metro 10M very close), London a population of 8M too
And no HK is a city way more interesting than Singapore, you don't know what you're talking about
Now yes it is the less significant of the 4 but still a major city worlwide

I've only been to NYC, London and Paris and I would rank:
-New York (being impressive is NYC's specialty, not a beautiful city IMO but the most impressive I have visited)
-London
-Paris (I'm French so Paris was never gonna impress me ... but it's by far the most beautiful of the three)

Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 PM

23,290 posts, read 23,667,542 times
I've been to all and my ranking:

1/ Tokyo
2/ London
3/ NYC
4/ Paris
5/ Hong Kong

Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 PM

442 posts, read 658,248 times
There are less foreigners residing in or visiting Tokyo than the other 4 cities. Both Japan and HK are a long way from North America and Europe, so westerners are not familiar with what are offered in Asian cities. People in Tokyo are like all or mostly East Asian looking, there are many Koreans, Chinese and Taiwanese residing or visiting, but are also East Asian looking, so few faces of other colors are seen in Tokyo. NYC, London and Paris have significant among of immigrants and visitors of different colors. Non-East Asian people are more visible in HK than Tokyo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Btw I guess the reason why Tokyo doesn't have iconic rockstars like Tour Eiffel, Big Ben, Empire State Building etc. is that there aren't that many people visiting Japan. For some reason Japan has never been a great power in terms of tourism, especially to Westerners. Even though Japan is perhaps the most prominent and reputable country in Asia, Europeans and Americans seem to rather visit Thailand instead.
Global cities are all about cities with a lot of international finance and trade, HK is on par with the other 4 as global cities.

It is true Asian cultural contributions are not significant in the western world. But in Asia, Japan and HK have significant cultural fames. For example people in Malaysia and Singapore, Taiwan as well, listen to music sung by Japanese and HK singers. Much more Japanese, South Korean, Taiwanese and HK artists are famous in Asia than in the West.
Quote:

Well, mostly Japanese cuisines, some western and korean restaurants and a little Chinese cuisines, probably very little chefs from other countries.

Much more variety of Asian and western cuisines in Hong Kong, including cuisines from different regions of large countries of China and India and a variety of Japanese cuisine, expensive to dirt cheap. With foreign cuisines in eateries cooked by Hong Kong chefs or foreign chefs.

It is mostly the Japanese culture, not the international influence, that attract overseas tourists for Tokyo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? I think Tokyo has a lot to offer for tourists. And it's basically the food capital of the world.

Last edited by lokeung); 01-10-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 07:58 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,836,349 times
Paris.

NYC doesn't compare to most of them. Never found it 'attractive'.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Not true at all, Hong Kong has a population of almost 8M whereas Paris has a population of 2.2M (metro 10M very close), London a population of 8M too
All your population numbers are very inaccurate. Paris and London have nearly twice the population of HK. NYC is bigger still, and Tokyo is like 5 times the size.

Are you using city proper only? That's completely irrelevant to the question. The City of London is then basically a village. Sydney and Melboune are villages. Paris is then a small city of 40 square miles. Buenos Aires is smaller still. I think the biggest city proper population in the world is some provincial "city" in China that's like half the size of California.

You obviously compare cities based on an apples to apples comparison, so something like metro area, urbanized area, or whatever. City boundaries are irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
And no HK is a city way more interesting than Singapore, you don't know what you're talking about
Now yes it is the less significant of the 4 but still a major city worlwide.
I agree HK is more interesting than Singapore, but I still think it's closer in size, importance and role to a Singapore than to a NYC, London, Paris or Tokyo. I can't think of anything world-class in HK outside of business-related functions.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Global cities are all about cities with a lot of international finance and trade, HK is on par with the other 4 as global cities.
I will disagree with this. Finance and trade are important factors, but not the main factors, in determining global city status.

For example, LA is a top-tier global city, but is definitely not a financial center. Frankfurt and Zurich are global financial centers, but are not top-tier global cities.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 PM

64 posts, read 83,651 times
Quote:

HK has the top skyline in the world, rank third for financial hub.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:39 PM

442 posts, read 658,248 times
In my opinion, population of a city should include population of surrounding areas where most residents travel frequently to the city center for work, study or shopping. So population of NYC include some area outside of New York State. But population of Hong Kong should not include any person living in Shenzhen. Although some people living in Shenzhen goto HK everyday, there are immigration controls, and these people are only a minority out of the whole population of Shenzhen.

A larger population means more crowded which is a negative thing for cities.

Actually, NYC and London are the two most important. Paris, German and other European cities are overshadowed by nearby London.
Quote:
All your population numbers are very inaccurate. Paris and London have nearly twice the population of HK. NYC is bigger still, and Tokyo is like 5 times the size.

Are you using city proper only? That's completely irrelevant to the question. The City of London is then basically a village. Sydney and Melboune are villages. Paris is then a small city of 40 square miles. Buenos Aires is smaller still. I think the biggest city proper population in the world is some provincial "city" in China that's like half the size of California.

You obviously compare cities based on an apples to apples comparison, so something like metro area, urbanized area, or whatever. City boundaries are irrelevant.

I agree HK is more interesting than Singapore, but I still think it's closer in size, importance and role to a Singapore than to a NYC, London, Paris or Tokyo. I can't think of anything world-class in HK outside of business-related functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World