Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
What many people don't seem to get is that each and every one of the rules of the road have equal weight. Everyone should keep right except to pass, everyone should obey the speed limits, everyone should signal when they are going to turn or change lanes, and everyone should yield the right of way when they are supposed to.

Some people seem to think the speed limit is the only rule that counts, and others seem to think the keep right rule is the only one that counts. I follow both, because that's what the law says, and because I am safer for following the rules of the road than not. They are there for a reason!
Exactly!

That BOTH the keep right and the speed limit count is the entire point. Those who want everyone to move right so that they can speed are the ones who seem to insist that if you think they shouldn't speed, you MUST be sitting in the left lane, when nothing could be further from the truth. It's a pretty lousy red herring, really, come to think of it.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is this seriously how you view the mental makeup of every driver that passes you?
I think you are having us on or...
I was asked for my definition of a speed demon, and that is what I gave. Nowhere in it did I say that every person who passes me qualifies as a speed demon - plenty of people pass me who are not frothing at the mouth because someone dares to be in front of them requiring them to slow down, for example, or tailgates to try to control how the person in front of them drives (talk about trying to be a police officer and enforce the law). However, there are quite a few on this thread and other similar ones on C-D who, from what they post, absolutely DO qualify, and those are the ones I'm talking about.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:54 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Who the heck drives the speed limit? They set those artificially low to begin with, either to make it easier to write tickets or because they figure 99% of drivers will be going 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was asked for my definition of a speed demon, and that is what I gave. Nowhere in it did I say that every person who passes me qualifies as a speed demon - plenty of people pass me who are not frothing at the mouth because someone dares to be in front of them requiring them to slow down, for example, or tailgates to try to control how the person in front of them drives (talk about trying to be a police officer and enforce the law). However, there are quite a few on this thread and other similar ones on C-D who, from what they post, absolutely DO qualify, and those are the ones I'm talking about.
What i was trying to figure out is at what point does a driver qualify for your designation of "frothing at the mouth so addicted to speed that they go into withdrawal and steam starts coming out their ears".
Is it some one doing 1mph over the limit?20mph over the limit? in fact your description begs the question how do you know what the mental make up of a driver passing you is,again i think its all some delusion in your head..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM

283 posts, read 349,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
What many people don't seem to get is that each and every one of the rules of the road have equal weight. Everyone should keep right except to pass, everyone should obey the speed limits, everyone should signal when they are going to turn or change lanes, and everyone should yield the right of way when they are supposed to.

Some people seem to think the speed limit is the only rule that counts, and others seem to think the keep right rule is the only one that counts. I follow both, because that's what the law says, and because I am safer for following the rules of the road than not. They are there for a reason!
they don't have equal weight at all as far as safety is concerned. for example not signaling is a lot more dangerous than safely going 5 over the speed limit.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 PM

371 posts, read 454,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
In case anyone didnt notice the LIMIT is the LIMIT not a suggestion. Why do people ride peoples *** that do the limit? I am not going to risk getting a ticket just because YOU didnt leave 5 minutes earlier for your crappy job.
What kind of answer were you expecting from this thread? "Oh yeah uh, as a professional bumper-to-bumper driver, I do this to increase my prestige in the field of annoying driving. That's why."

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
they don't have equal weight at all as far as safety is concerned. for example not signaling is a lot more dangerous than safely going 5 over the speed limit.
Very interesting article about speeding and what is truly dangerous on the road:
Speed limits largely ignored, Tollway report finds - Chicago Tribune

Some points of this article that stood out to me:

"The data, gathered in April, May and September, showed that, depending on which tollway stretch was tested, 91 to 98 percent of drivers exceeded the 55 mph speed limit."

"But perhaps the most fundamental metric in deciding where to set a speed limit is a concept known as the 85th percentile, or the speed at which 85 percent of drivers are either traveling at, or below. In essence, it measures the limit that most drivers place on themselves, regardless of posted speed limits."

"Some experts say there is a more critical reason to raise limits: It's far more dangerous to have vehicles traveling at vastly different speeds, particularly drivers obeying a speed limit that most others blow through."

"One of the experts who advocate higher limits is Leon James, a psychology professor at University of Hawaii who has been studying aggressive driving for 20 years."The way they set speed limit is somewhat subjective and arbitrary," he said. "It's not an exact science." He maintains that research supports the 85th percentile approach; that "if most of the people travel at the same rate, that's the safest way of going, regardless of the speed limit."

"One thing is certain: speed is pervasive in modern culture. Appreciated in business, sport and electronic communication, speed is celebrated in song, movies, video games and driving.
"All you need to do to see the evidence is to look at a few car commercials," said James. "Notice what they do with speed. Speed is leadership. Speed is good. All these connotations are real, especially with cars."

Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM

905 posts, read 791,399 times
Get out of the left lane already.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM

283 posts, read 349,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Very interesting article about speeding and what is truly dangerous on the road:
Speed limits largely ignored, Tollway report finds - Chicago Tribune

Some points of this article that stood out to me:

"The data, gathered in April, May and September, showed that, depending on which tollway stretch was tested, 91 to 98 percent of drivers exceeded the 55 mph speed limit."

"But perhaps the most fundamental metric in deciding where to set a speed limit is a concept known as the 85th percentile, or the speed at which 85 percent of drivers are either traveling at, or below. In essence, it measures the limit that most drivers place on themselves, regardless of posted speed limits."

"Some experts say there is a more critical reason to raise limits: It's far more dangerous to have vehicles traveling at vastly different speeds, particularly drivers obeying a speed limit that most others blow through."

"One of the experts who advocate higher limits is Leon James, a psychology professor at University of Hawaii who has been studying aggressive driving for 20 years."The way they set speed limit is somewhat subjective and arbitrary," he said. "It's not an exact science." He maintains that research supports the 85th percentile approach; that "if most of the people travel at the same rate, that's the safest way of going, regardless of the speed limit."

"One thing is certain: speed is pervasive in modern culture. Appreciated in business, sport and electronic communication, speed is celebrated in song, movies, video games and driving.
"All you need to do to see the evidence is to look at a few car commercials," said James. "Notice what they do with speed. Speed is leadership. Speed is good. All these connotations are real, especially with cars."

exactly
i'm a lot more concerned with safety than the law
obviously i don't want tickets but i'd rather get a ticket than be surrounded by unsafe drivers doing idiotic **** that may or may not be legal

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM

From the National Safety Council:

Speed is involved in about one out of three fatal crashes, according to NHTSA. It is the third leading contributing factor to traffic crashes. But while injuries and fatalities due to other dangerous behaviors, such as driving while impaired and not wearing seatbelts, have been significantly reduced, speeding is still a challenge.

NHTSA defines a crash as speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit contributed to the crash.
Surveys find that although people name speeding as a threat to their safety when other drivers around them are speeding, the majority say they also speed when driving. There are many reasons why people speed. According to Focus on Safety: A Practical Guide to Automated Traffic Enforcement, drivers speed because:
  • They’re in a hurry.
  • They’re inattentive to their driving.
  • They don’t take traffic laws seriously; they don’t think the laws apply to them.
  • They don’t view their driving behavior as dangerous.
  • They don’t expect to get caught.
  • Some or all of the above.
Speeding results in:
  • Lives lost – over 13,000 each year.
  • Work zone crashes and fatalities – speed was a factor in 27 percent of fatal crashes in construction and maintenance zones in 2005.
  • Unsafe school zones – compliance with lower speed limits is poor.
Economic costs -- speed-related crashes cost society over $40 billion annually, according to NHTSA. Every minute "gained" by speeding to a destination costs U.S. society over $76,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive