Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 07:35 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times

Advertisements

Just finished, Savages, by Shirley Conran. It's different from any book I've ever read and I've read many many books. I didn't know if I would finish it after the first few pages, then at a certain point I was hooked, although there were times when I skipped pages because it was obviously not going to be a problem.

It's an old book, I have the paperback and it first came out in that form in 1988. Conran also wrote, Lace, if you remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I'm currently reading the cherry harvest which is really good in my opinion . and I'm onto the devil in the white castle by erik Larson asap or whenever it comes in .

Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Tonight I'll finish up reading The Sunborn by Gregory Benford. I'm loving how he's taken poor demoted Pluto and made it so interesting and important. The novel's characters feel a little "flat" but the science concepts I found quite thought provoking. I found parts that reminded me of A Mote in God's Eye and other parts reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I found it to be a pleasant read overall

Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I absolutely lucked out with a kindle book I bought for $4.00.

The Soul Summoner by Elicia Hyder.

It was mentioned in an email from amazon. They send me reading suggestions based on the hundreds of books I have bought from them. I'm not special. heeheehee. I'm sure most if not all of amazon's readers get a list, too.

You can read about it here:

Robot Check

The book has only one small editorial error.

I really don't know how to describe it. I'm at 82% and have no clue who the bad guy is. Her writing style is very comfortable. I like so many of the characters. I recommend this little gem.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,563 times
The DIM Hypothesis by Leonard Peikoff

Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

PS: Dawn, have you seen: "In Other Words" by Jhumpa Lahiri?
I'm always interested in the lives of my favorite authors, I think I will take a look at this one when I have some reading time again.
GASP!!!! I have NOW! Thank you!!!!!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm trying to read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, but am having a hard time accepting the initial premise. It's about a little girl who gets lost in the woods. I know that happens even to people with lots of outdoors experience, but this girl has done some things that just don't make any sense. I may skip to the end to see what happens.

I'm in a newly formed book club and our first book is Lamb by Christopher Moore. I read it several years ago and loved it, so am looking forward to the reread. But I have to order it if I'm going to read it.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I finished : the cherry harvest and what a great book and this is the authors first one so I hope her next one is just as good if not better . I can add this one to be must have on my bookshelf . It is "The Cherry Harvest " by Lucy Senna in case any of you would like to read it , I loved it and the ending was such a surprise did not see it coming at all .

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just downloaded The Swans of Fifth Avenue from my library. have you tried recommending it? Lately, it's been working for me.
Tigerlily, Our library has four regular book versions with nine holds. It sounded interesting enough that I bit the bullet and bought it. Of course I can't just read it I have to google all the socialites so I can picture them. I am almost 70% through. It's not at all my usual kind of read but I am enjoying it and I love how the author makes Capote just come to life!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I'm in a newly formed book club and our first book is Lamb by Christopher Moore. I read it several years ago and loved it, so am looking forward to the reread. But I have to order it if I'm going to read it.

"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" is one of the funniest and most clever books that I have ever read. Moore borders on genius. This book is not of a genre that I usually read but my friends pressured me into it. I'm so thankful they did.

Not many writers would get by with trying to write a funny book about Jesus. Moore pulled it off and what a delicious book he has written. And, Biff is one cool dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books