Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times

Advertisements

I finally got around to reading through this whole thread, and there are some missing that surprise me. There are a lot of recommendations, a lot of oldies, a lot of classics, all kinds of stuff.

The ones I haven't found are:

James Agee - A Death in the Family and Let Us Now Praise Famous Men
Katherine Ann Porter - Ship of Fools
Rita Mae Brown - my favorite is Riding Shotgun but there are a lot of others
Anne Rivers Siddons - Foxe's Earth
Richard Farina - Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me
Jane Smiley - Horse Heaven
Joan Aiken Hodge [everyone knows Conrad Aiken, how many know about her?]
Robert K. Tanenbaum - all of the Karp family books
Andrew Vachss
Lee Child
Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsburg - what would the world have been like without the City Lights Book Store?
Diana Gabaldon
Ann Rule [I'd hate to have her nightmares!]
Jennifer Crusie - my favorite is Faking It
Dana Stabenow - especially the Kate Shugak stories
Mercedes Lackey
Elizabeth Moon - The Sheepfarmer's Daughter, etc
Piers Anthony's early books - the beginnings of the 'trilogy' that went on and on and...

And to whoever said Don Quixote was the first true novel, it wasn't. That was The Tale of the Genji, written in the late 900s-early1000s by a woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,063 times
I've never been much of a reader but fairly recently I've gotten into a bit. I like the YA books because they are easy reading and can be very meaningful too. I just finished reading a book called "The Dark Light" by Mette Newth. I thought it was excellent. I don't think it was based on a true story but it was set in a time when the circumstances of the book were very real. Truly heartbraking book but with a lot of substance and very uplifting.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I finally got around to reading through this whole thread, and there are some missing that surprise me. There are a lot of recommendations, a lot of oldies, a lot of classics, all kinds of stuff.

The ones I haven't found are:

James Agee - A Death in the Family and Let Us Now Praise Famous Men
Katherine Ann Porter - Ship of Fools
Rita Mae Brown - my favorite is Riding Shotgun but there are a lot of others
Anne Rivers Siddons - Foxe's Earth
Richard Farina - Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me
Jane Smiley - Horse Heaven
Joan Aiken Hodge [everyone knows Conrad Aiken, how many know about her?]
Robert K. Tanenbaum - all of the Karp family books
Andrew Vachss
Lee Child
Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsburg - what would the world have been like without the City Lights Book Store?
Diana Gabaldon
Ann Rule [I'd hate to have her nightmares!]
Jennifer Crusie - my favorite is Faking It
Dana Stabenow - especially the Kate Shugak stories
Mercedes Lackey
Elizabeth Moon - The Sheepfarmer's Daughter, etc
Piers Anthony's early books - the beginnings of the 'trilogy' that went on and on and...

And to whoever said Don Quixote was the first true novel, it wasn't. That was The Tale of the Genji, written in the late 900s-early1000s by a woman!
Brain-f*rt! I meant to include Lawrence Ferlinghetti with Ginsburg, not Kerouac!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,971 times
"Sister of My Heart" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni ... beautifully written.
I've only just started to read it but there are some books that you just know will not let you down and this is one of them.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
Just finished The Kite Runner, in anticipation of next week's discussion. Now I am starting on The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. Interesting so far...I am only a few chapters in but I like it so far.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
Just finished The Kite Runner, in anticipation of next week's discussion. Now I am starting on The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. Interesting so far...I am only a few chapters in but I like it so far.
I want to read The Pillars of the Earth but first I have to finish the Glass Castle, which I'm enjoying very much, then I plan on reading The Alchemist and then finally the Pillars of the Earth.

Please tell us what you think about The Pillars of the Earth once you are done. It's a pretty big book and I would hate to get into a book like that and not enjoy it. Once I start reading a book I have to finish it no matter how bad it is.

Oh and wasn't The Kite Runner incredible? I loved it!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
"Sister of My Heart" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni ... beautifully written.
I've only just started to read it but there are some books that you just know will not let you down and this is one of them.
I felt the same way about another of her books, Unknown Errors of our Lives. Sister of My Heart is on my "to read" list. The other Indian author I've enjoyed is Jhumpa Lahiri who wrote The Namesake and Interpreter of Maladies

Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
With a houseful of company, and more projected for this very weekend, I am -- sorry to say -- still working on Tom Brokaw's Boom!:Voices of the 60s, Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, and re-reading Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner, in anticipatiog of our discussion here beginning March 25.

Actually, Tolle's book has been literally shelved, both by my husband and me. I hated it, and the whole online project of Miss O. Been there, read that. Anyone interested in my copy, DM me. For the postage, it's yours.

Thankfully, I can put Brokaw's work down, and pick it up again. Pillars sits on my nightstand, and I am truly enjoying Follett's style of writing, the unusual characters and many story lines, the time period and setting.

And I have been a fan of Hosseini's since he first published The Kite Runner, so re-reading it is a pleasure, too.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,143 times
Just finished reading "The Devil in Connecticut" by Gerald Brittle, which TERRIFIED me! I have an interest in Paranormal phenomena, and have an online paranormal bookstore, so I tend to read alot of scary non-fiction books

Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Souls of Steel "How to build character in ourselves and our kids", by Pat Williams, Excellent book as most of his are, next up is Quiet Strength , a Memoir by Tony Dungy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books