Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab, British Special Forces guy, about the first Iraq war. I find the writing much superior to Sole Survivor about the American Navy Seal guy, but less well-written than The Horse Soldiers.

Given that I am not yet finished the book, I find it a very British book in the sense of all the distinctly British slang he uses. It was The Horse Soldiers that sparked my interest in reading military type books. I sometimes go through phases if I've read a book I consider interesting and then I tend to read several within that genre in a short space of time.
I've got two other military books you might like. They both have to do with the recent Iraq and Afghanistan wars. (OIF and OEF).

Generation Kill by Evan Wright, and then the book written by the 1st Lt. of Generation Kill, One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick. Generation Kill was even made into a miniseries on HBO, so you could watch it afterwards if you'd like. I've read many different military books, but I thought these were good. The first one is very accessible, and the second one was a little more intellectual, I guess you could say. They are both about Marines, but I'm a little partial to books on the Corps, as my husband is a Marine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Just finished The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys for book club. Still reading The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
I'm reading this one:

I just finished the first in the series and thought it was quite good.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I've just read about the first 3 chapters of "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks. I have read some of his other books and enjoyed them but I think I may not finish this one. It's about a rebelious teen girl acting out and seems a bit boring. My next one to read is "To Kill a Mockingbird" which I never read while in school.. My library is having a group read on this in January so that might be fun to take part in the discussions.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Quote:
Does it bug you that King is one of the characters? I enjoyed that series until King started popping up in his own book. After the build-up and the mystery of the Dark Tower in the other books, I had the feeling King had written himself into a corner he didn't know how to get out of, and therefore he did the equivalent of the kind of horror story that scares you out of your wits until the last line ends "And then he woke up. It was all a dream."

It totally annoyed me. Which is not to say that I wouldn't read the series again for the pleasure of the earlier works, but the ending spoiled it for me.

I'm not sure yet. I just finished VI and I have just begun to read VII. It seems King is only a small part in the story, but crucial. In my opinion so far he seems to be more of a conduit in the story. I'm certainly intrigued. It may sound silly, but whenever I read one of his books I feel like I'm with him. I feel like I'm a part of the story (going along on the ride with him).

Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I'm not sure yet. I just finished VI and I have just begun to read VII. It seems King is only a small part in the story, but crucial. In my opinion so far he seems to be more of a conduit in the story. I'm certainly intrigued. It may sound silly, but whenever I read one of his books I feel like I'm with him. I feel like I'm a part of the story (going along on the ride with him).
I used to feel that way but I couldn't get into his recent books (never finished the last two) and I personally didn't like him popping up in his stories. I'd be interested to hear your take on it when you're done with the series. I won't give away any spoilers.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Quote:
I used to feel that way but I couldn't get into his recent books (never finished the last two) and I personally didn't like him popping up in his stories. I'd be interested to hear your take on it when you're done with the series. I won't give away any spoilers.

Thank you for no spoilers. Which two books? The last one I read was From A Buick 8, besides rereading the Dark Tower up to the fourth book so I could finish the series. Last year I read Cell. I did like it, but not that much.
I have yet to read Under The Dome, which I heard wasn't that great, but I'll read it anyway eventually.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,896 times

Great book, well written.

I love all his books.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Ruth L. Ozeki's "My Year of Meats". A very nice, pleasant but honest, sensitive but irreverent little book, ringing back often to Sei Shōnagon's 1,000-year-old "Pillow Book". I'm enjoying it so far.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
I thought "We Were the Mulvaney's" was the best of many good JCO books. There were a couple of scenes in that book that made me sob, not just cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books