Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I hate to admit it but I am really not a fan of Dickens. However, I love A Tale of Two Cities and read it at least once a year.
Not a problem, we all have our preferences!
Well, I didn't read A Tale of Two Cities yet, I started in Bleak House now (what a tome argh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You might be interested in Ursula Hegi's "Stones from the River." I was quite taken with the story, and its portrayal of the small town life outside and the effects upon it.
Oh my. I read that book a couple of years ago. Jess5 recommended it to me. What an unusual story. It's a good book and I will always remember Trudi.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
I won't either, Ketabcha. I love that book.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished The Twelve last night, and then I finished A Wanted Man by Lee Child. I'm going too fast through the books I bought the other day. And today I started Little Star by Lindqvist, which is also a page turner. I had been going to read that one before A Wanted Man but I needed a mental break and I knew the Lee Child book would be a fast read. Which is a little disappointing to me - how fast and pared down his books have become. And the ending, due to the way he kind of skipped over stuff, was too abrupt.

Little Star is very, very scary.

The way things are going here, I might need to make another trip to the bookstore. I had hoped my books would last me longer than a few days.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Twelve last night, and then I finished A Wanted Man by Lee Child. I'm going too fast through the books I bought the other day. And today I started Little Star by Lindqvist, which is also a page turner. I had been going to read that one before A Wanted Man but I needed a mental break and I knew the Lee Child book would be a fast read. Which is a little disappointing to me - how fast and pared down his books have become. And the ending, due to the way he kind of skipped over stuff, was too abrupt.

Little Star is very, very scary.

The way things are going here, I might need to make another trip to the bookstore. I had hoped my books would last me longer than a few days.
WooooHoooo. You are really eating up those books, Net. What did you think of The Twelve? I have it in my grubby mitts but I'm reading AshFall first.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
WooooHoooo. You are really eating up those books, Net. What did you think of The Twelve? I have it in my grubby mitts but I'm reading AshFall first.
I wasn't sure the beginning worked. I don't want to give any spoilers and it might have been me who was confused, but I didn't understand how he went from the new present in the book to the past, given that he had already written about it. It felt like a strange way of approaching the story.

It didn't feel as complete as the first book - it felt very much like a middle book. I wasn't sure until the end, since there seemed to be a conclusion coming, that there was going to be a third book. There's nothing about a trilogy on the jacket. But there is a third book coming, from the way the book ends.

All the same, it is a page turner since I read it in two days. I'll be very curious to hear what you think of it.

Halfway through Little Star. Bummer. But I don't think I'll have much time, if any, to read tomorrow when the weather is nicer. Aside from wanting the books to last longer, it has been really nice to do nothing but stay inside and read.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well I had to stop the Language of Flowers , it was too dead for me and it just dragged on so I know when a book gets like that I end reading it and move on .so onward and upward hopefully to the library on Monday so I m hoping I can find a book or books that can hold my interest and keep reading . well I will be back .
Yes, it was quite boring and very predictable.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,452 times
After struggling through Peter F. Hamilton's Great North Road and finding it an overly drawn out disappointment, I'm now stating up on The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks. This should be a much faster paced and more fun read.

I'm also reading North by Northwestern by Sig Hansen and Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin on the side.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I buzzed right through Sarah's Key. As all of you said it was very good. Last night I finally finished The Passage which I really enjoyed but I didn't fly through it. I'll have to see what the rest of you say about The Twelve. I may or may not read that one.

I will start two new books today. One large print for my treadmill reading "Dead By Midnight" by Beverly Barton and "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Back on The Devil in Pew Seven. My reading it got interrupted by the arrival of "Dance for the Dead," and I've been leery of returning to it... it starts out with an account of the terror of a young girl escaping from her home after an intruder has taken someone hostage in her bedroom, and her father prompting her to run for help. I don't know what specifically about that beginning that affects me so adversely, but I really don't want to pick it up, yet feel I need to continue.

Weird, huh?

But first -- HOMEWORK!

(What a life... homework, or a book I don't really want to read... what is up with me!?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books