Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
BTW, Marlow found Come, Thou Tortoise for me at Better World Books. Supposedly the lowest price is from $7.97 but when I go in the lowest price is $65.90. Any idea why that would be?

I also tried Alibris and today it is $9.99. Yesterday it was much less Anyway, has anyone here used Alibris? And?

Thanks.
I found my copy on Amazon from this place: Turtle Creek Books - Rare, New, Used, Second Hand, Antiquarian and out-of-print books - Vintage Sheet Music. The book was in excellent shape and it was $6 something. I did search and they don't have it right now, but figured I would mention it as another place to keep an eye on for a copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Eeek! Yesterday I saw it listed for $7.97 but didn't click on it. Today I clicked and you're right--it says $65.90. Sorry! But I checked at Abebooks just now and they have one listed for $4.02 plus $2.95 shipping. I've bought from BWB and Abebooks and have had good luck with both. Hope you can find a reasonably priced copy. I'd send you mind but I gave it to someone and she hasn't returned it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I found my copy on Amazon from this place: Turtle Creek Books - Rare, New, Used, Second Hand, Antiquarian and out-of-print books - Vintage Sheet Music. The book was in excellent shape and it was $6 something. I did search and they don't have it right now, but figured I would mention it as another place to keep an eye on for a copy.
Thanks guys. You are the best trying to help me out. I finally took the plunge and ordered it this morning from Abebooks before the price changed again, lol. It should be here in 7-14 business days....until then I have plenty to read.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Just breezed through "Twilight" again and started "New Moon" yesterday evening. Maybe I'll be able to finish it this week. Then the other two volumes right afterwards.

Got an amazon shipment this week:

* Shopaholic Abroad
* Anna dressed in Blood
* The Book of Lost Things
* Beautiful Disaster

I'm more for shallow and quick reading right now

Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished Thomas Perry's "Dance for the Dead" last night, and it left me breathless right up to the end. I don't normally read books that are so intense, but I love strong female protagonists and Jane Whitefield is amazing in that she's strong in her smarts and wiles. She doesn't carry a gun, but I bet she plays a mean game of chess -- if she ever sits down that long.

I plan to look for "Vanishing Act."

Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well I had to stop the Language of Flowers , it was too dead for me and it just dragged on so I know when a book gets like that I end reading it and move on .so onward and upward hopefully to the library on Monday so I m hoping I can find a book or books that can hold my interest and keep reading . well I will be back .

Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm reading The Twelve and I'm about halfway through. I dragged myself away from the book around 4am and then I tossed and turned anyway. I don't want to give any spoilers but it is about 200 pages less than The Passage. And due to the nature of a sequel, it's less of a stand-alone book than The Passage. I thought The Passage worked perfectly as a single book.

Rain, wonderful rain! I picked up Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist (that one's next) since I just loved his other books and A Wanted Man by Lee Child, and a 2008 translation, Tales of 1,001 Nights, translated by Malcolm C. Lyons.

I remembered why I put The Lacuna aside - because so far I loved the style and think I might love the book but I'm going to have to pay close attention when reading it and I think at the time I first started it, I knew I didn't have the time. So I am looking forward to reading it.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Just finished Madonna of the Seven Hills and Light on Lucrezia by Jean Plaidy. Historical fiction on the Borgia's that I really enjoyed.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well I had to stop the Language of Flowers , it was too dead for me and it just dragged on so I know when a book gets like that I end reading it and move on .so onward and upward hopefully to the library on Monday so I m hoping I can find a book or books that can hold my interest and keep reading . well I will be back .
Not to worry....so many books so little time. Why waste your time if you aren't enjoying it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading The Twelve and I'm about halfway through. I dragged myself away from the book around 4am and then I tossed and turned anyway. I don't want to give any spoilers but it is about 200 pages less than The Passage. And due to the nature of a sequel, it's less of a stand-alone book than The Passage. I thought The Passage worked perfectly as a single book.

Rain, wonderful rain! I picked up Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist (that one's next) since I just loved his other books and A Wanted Man by Lee Child, and a 2008 translation, Tales of 1,001 Nights, translated by Malcolm C. Lyons.

I remembered why I put The Lacuna aside - because so far I loved the style and think I might love the book but I'm going to have to pay close attention when reading it and I think at the time I first started it, I knew I didn't have the time. So I am looking forward to reading it.
I'm still working on The Passage. It's my night time book so I am reading it slowly.

I have read some of Lee Child's books before and I enjoyed the ones I have read.

This morning I started Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I'm not far enough in to review it but I think it is good, although sad, so far. Amazon review:

"A young girl.

A fateful key.

A woman searching for the truth…

Experience the novel that has touched millions.

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard—their secret hiding place—and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released.

Sixty Years Later: Sarah’s story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research, Julia stumbles onto a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future."

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Not to worry....so many books so little time. Why waste your time if you aren't enjoying it?

This morning I started Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I'm not far enough in to review it but I think it is good, although sad, so far. Amazon review:

"A young girl.

A fateful key.

A woman searching for the truth…

Experience the novel that has touched millions.

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard—their secret hiding place—and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released.

Sixty Years Later: Sarah’s story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research, Julia stumbles onto a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future."
Whatever you do, stick with "Sarah", Lisa. It goes places that I never expected. Very good book.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Just breezed through "Twilight" again and started "New Moon" yesterday evening. Maybe I'll be able to finish it this week. Then the other two volumes right afterwards.

Got an amazon shipment this week:

* Shopaholic Abroad
* Anna dressed in Blood
* The Book of Lost Things
* Beautiful Disaster

I'm more for shallow and quick reading right now
Hey, Miguel's Mom. The important thing is that you like books and you are reading them.
I've been slowly working my way through a graphic novel (read: comic book) of The Walking Dead. I can take it for short bursts and I'm trying to keep ahead of the TV series. Yeah, it is probably "shallow" but I like the book. It also weighs so much that it requires an effort to lift it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books