Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordana. So far (on page 29)... disturbing book.
I didn't like that one. The writing was fine but I didn't like any of the characters. I was happy to be finished with it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I'm only about 30 pages into it, but so far, it's really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I didn't like that one. The writing was fine but I didn't like any of the characters. I was happy to be finished with it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I'm only about 30 pages into it, but so far, it's really good.
It's funny how that happens, isn't it? While none of the parents have fleshed-out characters, I do feel for the kids. And I didn't get past the first few pages of Major Pettigrew -- I just couldn't get into it at all; I'm not sure why that is.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
I'm back!

Failure can be a very freeing experience. I've never failed an exam before, but this first time wasn't as bad as I've always been told about failure. (Winner's never quit, quitters never win.) So, I failed, and then I quit. Well, I dropped two of the three classes, anyway.

Then I went and made myself a chicken sandwich and started reading: Dance for the Dead, by Thomas Perry.
Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, Book 2) by Thomas Perry - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It certainly starts out with a bang.

Later....

Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm back!

Failure can be a very freeing experience. I've never failed an exam before, but this first time wasn't as bad as I've always been told about failure. (Winner's never quit, quitters never win.) So, I failed, and then I quit. Well, I dropped two of the three classes, anyway.

Then I went and made myself a chicken sandwich and started reading: Dance for the Dead, by Thomas Perry.
Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, Book 2) by Thomas Perry - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Later....
Oh, Deb! I'm sorry. But I'm glad that you seem OK with it. And you should be OK with it... because you're AWESOME!

Chicken sandwiches and books are great feel-good thingies..

Love ya!

ETA: I'm sorry about the second sentence in the rep comment that I sent you. I wrote it before I saw this posting of yours.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
I'm back!

Later....
I doubt that there are many of us who never failed an exam. I certainly did in college.
You have a good attitude, as always, and are pushing forward with comfort food and a book. That's the best prescription. This is the start of a weekend. Rest and enjoy yourself.

Hey, I was up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. It's just gorgeous up there.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
Quote:
I'm back!

Later....
{{{{Deb}}}}

Look at this way, you now have more time to read AND knit!

Chicken sandwich and a book sounds like wonderful treatment.

I dropped out of college (I already had one AA in general studies) after taking one year of Early Childhood Education. Great field and I learned a ton (and am always still learning because I love children!), however, I found out the pay was terrible. I made more money babysitting.

Forgot to stay on topic!
I am currently reading Love and War by John Jakes. I love the Civil War era, but am not in a Civil War era mood (I guess). The book is well written and I love the characters. I haven't picked it up in over a week.
So now I am reading some silly romance novel that I found hiding under some dust. Too much on my mind these days to read anything heavier than this.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Oh, and just so that everyone is aware, The End of Your Life Book Club caused me to have 12 (TWELVE!!!!) more books on my "to read" list. Some of them I've already bought, and some of them I will buy if my library can't acquire them. Sigh...

Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Lisa, I read the first two on your list.

Pinetreelover loved The Language of Flowers. I loved the first part of it more than the second.
I liked Room A LOT! It was very odd, but very good.

PS. I don't think you'll ever find Come, Thou Tortoise in the library. It's written by a Canadian gal and was only released by distributors in Canada and the UK, I believe.
I just picked up Come, Thou Tortoise from my library. It was listed as lost, but lo and behold it suddenly appeared on my pick up list. Our library does order quite a few books by Canadian authors.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
I'm back!

Later....

I'm sorry...you will do it at your own pace. (((hugs)))

Enjoy your chicken sandwich and your new book.

I went to the big town today and got more books from that library. While I was there I got a call from my other library that I have 5 books in that I ordered. I now have 19 new books to read.

On top of that my stepdaughter came over tonight to give me my first knitting lesson. I am now "trying" to make a scarf, lol. Yeah...hope it looks like one. I just have to figure out how to knit and read at the same time

I'll get back to my Charley's Web tonight.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just picked up Come, Thou Tortoise from my library. It was listed as lost, but lo and behold it suddenly appeared on my pick up list. Our library does order quite a few books by Canadian authors.
I haven't been able to find a library locally that can get it for me.

Lucky you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books