Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

I found a good one to read on my Kindle Fire. "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail", by David Miller. David got tired of working every day in a cubicle. Company wouldn't approve his vacation time to hike the trail so he went anyway.
Pretty good reading.

I like my Kindle Fire HD! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I agree with Netwit. Into Thin Air is a very good book. I read it twice. The climber/pathologist is one of our local guys in Dallas and I remember when all this unfolded. It's really a horror story and I kept a quilt wrapped around me because I was so cold. His descriptions are that real.

I have yet to read a Krakauer book that is not excellent.
Netwit and Ketabcha:

I've wanted to read this one for awhile, and after 10 pages, I want to keep reading! I've also wanted to read Krakauer's Where Men Win Glory - I am very much in awe of Pat Tillman.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
I also thought "Into Thin Air" was a good book. I had read Krakauer's article in Outside magazine prior to his book coming out, so already knew the story, but of course the book is far more comprehensive.

Once you are done with "Into Thin Air," if you are still interested in books about mountaineering, you could try "Seven Summits" by Dick Bass, Frank Wells and Rick Ridgeway: Seven Summits: Dick Bass,Frank Wells,Rick Ridgeway: 9780446385169: Amazon.com: Books Dick Bass was the first person to climb the highest summit on each continent (although there is a dispute whether Kosciusko in Australia counts), and it is a very interesting book. David Breashears, who features in "Into Thin Air" as the head of the IMAX team, was Bass's guide on Everest.

I also recommend Ed Viestur's book "No Shortcuts to the Top - Climbing the Worlds 14 Highest Peaks." Viesturs was also on the IMAX team on Everest and I enjoyed reading about his other mountaineering exploits. No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks: Ed Viesturs,David Roberts: 9780767924719: Amazon.com: Books

Then, of course, you will have to watch the IMAX Everest movie (I can't find it on YouTube) and "Everest - The Death Zone" which follows Breashears and Viesturs in a scientific trip back up Everest a year after the disastrous 1996 trip:

Everest -The Death Zone - YouTube

I'm a tad obsessed.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I also thought "Into Thin Air" was a good book. I had read Krakauer's article in Outside magazine prior to his book coming out, so already knew the story, but of course the book is far more comprehensive.

Once you are done with "Into Thin Air," if you are still interested in books about mountaineering, you could try "Seven Summits" by Dick Bass, Frank Wells and Rick Ridgeway: Seven Summits: Dick Bass,Frank Wells,Rick Ridgeway: 9780446385169: Amazon.com: Books Dick Bass was the first person to climb the highest summit on each continent (although there is a dispute whether Kosciusko in Australia counts), and it is a very interesting book. David Breashears, who features in "Into Thin Air" as the head of the IMAX team, was Bass's guide on Everest.

I also recommend Ed Viestur's book "No Shortcuts to the Top - Climbing the Worlds 14 Highest Peaks." Viesturs was also on the IMAX team on Everest and I enjoyed reading about his other mountaineering exploits. No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks: Ed Viesturs,David Roberts: 9780767924719: Amazon.com: Books

Then, of course, you will have to watch the IMAX Everest movie (I can't find it on YouTube) and "Everest - The Death Zone" which follows Breashears and Viesturs in a scientific trip back up Everest a year after the disastrous 1996 trip:

I'm a tad obsessed.
Have you read Touching the Void: The Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson?
It's about two Englishmen who climb the highest peak in the Andes and what happens to one of them. It's an amazing survival story and I could not put it down once I started it.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Have you read Touching the Void: The Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson?
It's about two Englishmen who climb the highest peak in the Andes and what happens to one of them. It's an amazing survival story and I could not put it down once I started it.
No, I haven't, thanks for the recommendation. As I was writing my post, I was looking at other mountaineering books on Amazon and thinking I should read another. I am sort of an armchair mountaineer. Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:

I'm a tad obsessed.
I've watched a show that sounds the same as what you mention about the Death Zone on National Geographic channel and it was about a scientific team. For some really sick reason, in the depths of a Manitoba winter, I like watching Everest expeditions. Maybe it's a touch of schadenfreude that someone else was worse off than me . Just watching those shows makes me cold and I pile on the blankets.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Thanks. Another book to add to my list of what to get when I go to the city.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've watched a show that sounds the same as what you mention about the Death Zone on National Geographic channel and it was about a scientific team. For some really sick reason, in the depths of a Manitoba winter, I like watching Everest expeditions. Maybe it's a touch of schadenfreude that someone else was worse off than me . Just watching those shows makes me cold and I pile on the blankets.
Yes, the video I posted is the one produced by NatGeo.

If you haven't read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, it is a great one for piling on the blankets - I nearly froze to death reading that book.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
If you haven't read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, it is a great one for piling on the blankets - I nearly froze to death reading that book.
Love this! I remember feeling the same way reading "Alive". Freezing cold with a gnawing hunger...

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Looks like I started an avalanche of mountaineering book ideas. Te he he.

Seriously, though, I've never really thought about mountaineering books before, but if there are any in the same vein as Into Thin Air, with some kind of mountaineering mishap, then I'd definitely be interested in reading them. I just heard Into Thin Air was good and that's why I'm reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books