Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
His name sure rings a bell but I checked to see what he has written and I have not read any of his works.

His books sound intriguing. Thanks so much for mentioning him.

Is there one that you would suggest I start with?
I thought I'd read one of his novels, but after looking, the only thing I'm sure I read was his book of short stories, I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down. So, that is the one I'd recommend.

It may be that I read a short story of his in a magazine and then bought the book, which is why I'm remembering reading two things. The short stories were very unsettling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barne: DandJ, I know you liked this one. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts on this book. It was certainly well written and thought provoking. It's not a book with a neatly tied up ending. I reread the first third of the book to see if I'd missed some major points. Subsequently, checked out Amazon comments and realized many people were confused. But, the comments were helpful.

Presently reading:
Smut by Alan Bennett Two short stories. Very enjoyable so far.

The Judgment Day by Penelope Lively. I like this one, too.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barne: DandJ, I know you liked this one. I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts on this book. It was certainly well written and thought provoking. It's not a book with a neatly tied up ending. I reread the first third of the book to see if I'd missed some major points. Subsequently, checked out Amazon comments and realized many people were confused. But, the comments were helpful.
I agree -- it wasn't clear-cut. I was confused at some part -- who actually had the baby, and what was wrong with him -- so I had to re-read those parts. I also read some of the comments on Amazon.

I guess, despite my confusion at the end, I was still reveling in the writing. I really liked his style, which is why I then went on to read Arthur & George by him, too, and that was VERY good. And it was NOT confusing.

Your cheerleading for Rules of Civility was warranted. Rah rah rah! I absolutely LOVED that book. I even cried near the end; I felt like I knew these people and hated what they were going through.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM

441 posts, read 885,957 times
Just started with James Madison, by Richard Brookhiser.

Hopefully it's really good.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
I'm still reading Gone With the Wind. I took a month-and-a-half off of reading because I had to read non-fun things all day long and by the time I went to bed, I just couldn't read anymore. I'm over halfway through but after getting back to GWTW and reading 80 or so pages more, I realized I need a break from it. I mean, I've read over 600 pages but still have over 400 more to go. Phew! I'm going to still read it a chapter or 1/2 chapter at a time when I feel like it.

Instead, I started The Hunger Games. I'm only a chapter in but I've heard a lot of good things about it!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
I'm Jonathan Franzen's Freedom.

Love the characters he creates... the sense that this could be any family, anywhere...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Why Is It Always About You? by Sandy Hotchkiss

This is an excellent book for understanding narcissists.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Finished "Catching Fire" which is the second book in the Hunger Games series. I didn't expect it to be as good as the first book but it was great!

Now I'm halfway through "Mocking Jay", the final book of the series and it is also good.

Good job to keep the suspense up through all three volumes so that you want to read more.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished A Gift Upon the Shore by W.K. Wren. This book will stay with me the rest of my life. It is exceptional.

I started reading The Lonely Polygamist and it is quite funny but also sad. This fellow can write so well. Brady Udall.

One other thing. Off topic. I was watching Hoarding: Buried Alive tonight and one of the two couples had over 200,000 books in their Chicago house. All the bookcases were filled and there were stacks and stacks of books from the floor to the ceiling. It was a fire hazzard. I really wanted a look at the books that they gave up. Yes, I, the one who absolutely has to get to Goodwill to donate 5 boxes of books, am still getting new ones. LOL

My world would be so greatly reduced in size if there were no more books to read.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 AM

6 posts, read 7,408 times
All of the Harry Potter Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books