Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Borderline by Nevada Barr (Anna Pigeon series). I have Burn and The Rope (also Anna Pigeon) lined up to read next. I will be starting on the first two Gillian Flynn novels after I finish with Nevada Barr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM

35 posts, read 68,162 times
Look Again. It was kinda boring at first but the book is getting interesting in the middle and it's picking up quite bit.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I'm reading Borderline by Nevada Barr (Anna Pigeon series). I have Burn and The Rope (also Anna Pigeon) lined up to read next. I will be starting on the first two Gillian Flynn novels after I finish with Nevada Barr.
Have you read her earliest books, Maggie? I've read them all. She was a national parks ranger and so is her heroine, Anna. Love these books. I learn so much about the history of the parks while really enjoying Anna. I like the character a lot. I did not like Burn, though.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you read her earliest books, Maggie? I've read them all. She was a national parks ranger and so is her heroine, Anna. Love these books. I learn so much about the history of the parks while really enjoying Anna. I like the character a lot. I did not like Burn, though.

Yep, I have read them from the beginning. Somehow I missed the last few books, but I am now catching up.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times
I just finished The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber.......excellent book!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Just finished Chogyam Trungpa's "Born in Tibet." Their escape was harrowing right up to the end, and obviously worth it, for the accomplishments he achieved before his death in 1987. I plan to read his other works, but I need something a bit lighter, now.

Oh, right.... I still have "Death Comes to Pemberly" in process. (Yawn) I guess I SHOULD finish it, but it isn't one of PD Jame's better works.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Just finished Chogyam Trungpa's "Born in Tibet." Their escape was harrowing right up to the end, and obviously worth it, for the accomplishments he achieved before his death in 1987. I plan to read his other works, but I need something a bit lighter, now.

Oh, right.... I still have "Death Comes to Pemberly" in process. (Yawn) I guess I SHOULD finish it, but it isn't one of PD Jame's better works.
I downloaded Born in Tibet to Boris the Kindle. After reading your remarks about it I decided it was worth a read. Thank you.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I downloaded Born in Tibet to Boris the Kindle. After reading your remarks about it I decided it was worth a read. Thank you.
I hope you are as touched by it as I was.

After reading Larksong's post about Debbie McComber's work, I decided that was the umpteenth time I'd heard or read a good review of her works, so I just checked out "Thursday's at Eight" (her first published non-romance), and "The Shop on Blossom Street" (because it's nearly fall and I will soon be getting those knitting needles busy, again). Hmmm. With school full-time, reading and knitting something is going to have to give....

Maggie: I also went ahead and downloaded Barr's Anna Pigeon's #9-16. What the heck, I was on a roll!

Okay, NOW for "Death Comes to Pemberly" (though it may be the death of me... only 31% left to go -- yawn, yawn, zzzzzzzzz).

Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
"The Importance of Being Seven" (44 Scotland Street 6) by Alexander McCall Smith and "The Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens

Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I have 10% left of Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I will finish it, obviously, but it was not a wise $12.99 to have spent. Even though it wasn't marketed as such, it feels very YA (young adult). It's a coming-of-age story (which I often enjoy) but, more than that, it feels like it was written for the YA crowd. And even more than that, I wasn't buying into the way the kids in the story talked and felt and processed information.

I do not recommend this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books