Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

It seems I'm getting the kindle deals of the day more often than not However, I don't know what to think of it not having German books as deals at all... Germany has a fixed book price agreement that means ebooks are mostly as expensive as buying the paperbacks. My mom is a little dissapointed since she likes to read in English but has to use a dictionary from time to time and it's much slower reading for her. However, I bought her a kindle paperwhite and she can use the dictionary quite well with that touch screen. I guess I'll put some of my books on her kindle too.

Anyhoo' the last books I downloaded are the following:
The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty
Stone Maidens by Lloyd Devereux Richards
Bone River by Megan Chance
Death of a Gentle Lady by M.C. Beaton (I know it's no. 28 in a series but I thought I might give it a try)
The Spa Decameron by Fay Weldon
Catcher, Caught by Sarah Collins Honenberger

Anybody read anything from these? Are they any good?

I'm 60% through The Passage and I'm looking forward to the other books now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
It seems I'm getting the kindle deals of the day more often than not However, I don't know what to think of it not having German books as deals at all... Germany has a fixed book price agreement that means ebooks are mostly as expensive as buying the paperbacks. My mom is a little dissapointed since she likes to read in English but has to use a dictionary from time to time and it's much slower reading for her. However, I bought her a kindle paperwhite and she can use the dictionary quite well with that touch screen. I guess I'll put some of my books on her kindle too.

Anyhoo' the last books I downloaded are the following:
The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty
Stone Maidens by Lloyd Devereux Richards
Bone River by Megan Chance
Death of a Gentle Lady by M.C. Beaton (I know it's no. 28 in a series but I thought I might give it a try)
The Spa Decameron by Fay Weldon
Catcher, Caught by Sarah Collins Honenberger

Anybody read anything from these? Are they any good?

I'm 60% through The Passage and I'm looking forward to the other books now!
MM, I just looked up German books with Kindle format on our library's site and found only five, but eighteen if I open the search to include Kindle books available from other sources (still through the library, but on inter-library loan). If she isn't restricted to Kindle only, the numbers increase. I use the library exclusively for my Kindle reading and have yet to run out of books to read from that venue. You might want to see what your library offers.

As for your list, the only author I recognized was M.C. Beaton and she is a fun, light fiction author that I've often used to help lighten up after reading something heavier. Though she's written many, I've never found it necessary to read them in sequence.

Happy reading.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I've been sick for the past couple of days and so chose to do a re-read of a couple of older books by John Lescroart, Guilt from 1997 and The Oath from 2003. Had no recollection of the story lines at all so it was almost like having something new to read. Since the stories are set in San Francisco they did have be feeling a bit nostalgic for life in the Bay Area, especially the foods available there as compared to very rural VA.

Hard to stay focused when you have to stop every page and a half to blow your nose. I can now get through about 5 pages so I guess I'm getting better, slowly but surely.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
My boyfriend was just doing an Amazon order and asked if I wanted anything. So he bought me this book called The Fufkin Diaries

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My boyfriend was just doing an Amazon order and asked if I wanted anything. So he bought me this book called The Fufkin Diaries
Curiously, when I typed Artie Fufkin in the address line, this came up:
http://www.theartiefufkins.com/

Is there more to this story, I wonder?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
So I went on vacation for a week and left you all unattended and you filled up nine pages of posts!!!

Good thing someone is doing some reading, because I am certainly not contributing much to the consumption right now. I am slowly, slowly, slowly reading Winds of War. I enjoy it, but can't read it quickly. I am hampered by my lack of confidence in my European geography and keep wanting to look at a map. Last night I was reading on the plane ride home and had the seat back screen showing me the tiny little plane flying across the United States and I kept wanting to swipe at the screen to move the view from the US to Europe so I could confirm how big Poland was, how far from Cracow to Warsaw... Um - nope the seat back screen is not an ipad!

So, reading and learning and wishing I had paid more attention in 10th grade.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Curiously, when I typed Artie Fufkin in the address line, this came up:
http://www.theartiefufkins.com/

Is there more to this story, I wonder?
Artie wanted to join that band -- his namesake -- but I've banned guitars in our new home.

By the way, Artie Fufkin is the name of a character, played by Paul Shaffer, in the movie This Is Spinal Tap. That's how my Artie got his name... named by J of DandJ's old fame.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Bohemian Paris
Picasso, Modigliani, Matisse and The Birth of Modern Art

by Dan Franck

Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Just finished the Matt Royal series based in Longboat Key and started Cole Bay Band, which is based in St. Maarten.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
___As for your list, the only author I recognized was M.C. Beaton and she is a fun, light fiction author that I've often used to help lighten up after reading something heavier. Though she's written many, I've never found it necessary to read them in sequence.

Well now, I guess I will have to look into getting some of her (his?) books as I too suffer frequently from just not being able to read. I think it's gotten progressively worse over the past few years. I was always a big waster of time on the internet, and now with a laptop on my lap as I recline on the couch, the internet just sucks me in and I never actually get up to get the book to read. I share this here in hope of getting help.
I really do love to read but I just seem to not find the time as much as I should. Even when I love a book, it seems to take me forever. I love this forum because it really has helped me find so many great books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books