Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, wow! I love that schedule (and would love it for my work ) but I wonder how that's feasible for kids whose parents both work outside of the house. That must be difficult. Or impossible.
There is school age child care offered during the 3-week breaks. Also, I think if a district went to that schedule, they would have that option available. Plus day cares would work around the schedule I'm sure if that was the district schedule.

I wish it were my work schedule too! Of course I should just find a job in the school and then it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 03:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post

Of course I should just find a job in the school and then it would be.
YES!!! I'd work there too!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
"Dove" by Robin Lee Graham (I know, it's been on the active list for a while).

Went through most of it today, taking an easy day at home as I pill pop before they have me loopy under the knife tomorrow.

Not sure which book I'll pick up next today......but I have a lot of biographies and personal quest books lying around.

By the way, don't panic if I'm off line till Monday or so. They don't want me exercising for 48 hours afterwards to keep the BP down......and I think staying off the Net is an excellent way to keep the BP down.

But, after Monday........then you can send out the search planes.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:29 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Good luck to you Tamara Savannah ( love your name)- heal well and strong.

I really enjoyed a Man Called Ove.

I am currently about 80% through The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up.
Very inspiring-(taken with a small grain of salt but mostly very valid and inspiring)...just sayin'.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished "Rush Home Road" and though I normally do not like stories that end "neat and sweet" I was happy with this one. I think this author knows how to weave a story in three dimensional tones. I felt Addy's yearning, and I wanted to slap Collette silly. In all, the story took me to familiar places I've never been, and reminded me of well-loved faces I've never seen.

There actually WAS an element of familiar for me. My mother's family lived in Grass Lake (just outside of Detroit), and the story mentions a Boblo Island where my mom went on a school trip as a girl. Grandpa was actually arrested in the 30s for boot-legging, though he made his in the bathtup, and did not receive it from the boats off Canada's borders. As a teen, I met a number of people that could've been the basis for Addy's neighbors at the trailer park. ADC mothers that should not have had children, nor allowed to keep them.

I thought the story held a lot of realism and was well told.

Next up: "Murder in Plain Sight" by Marta Perry

Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Finished up the George RR Martin Game of Thrones series. Did some checking and it could be years before the next is even published

Took a trip to a nearby used bookstore and found The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. I did a search to find Maia that was recommended a few posts back, so have ordered a used hardback. I also ordered People of the Masks by the Gears as it's been quite awhile since I've read any of the The First Americans series.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Geesh, I go on vacation and have to read everything I missed. You all have been busy as always!

I flew through The Girls and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I moved onto Rush Home Road. I adored that story, even more than The Girls, which I didn't think was possible. I think Ms. Lansens is a master at characterization and she writes an ending that is so perfect for the story line. It takes a lot to make me cry but I shed a few tears over this one.

Next on my list is The Mountain Story. I was going to buy her other book as well but it didn't get good reviews so I passed on it.

BTW, the weather has been beautiful in OC, NJ this week! I am not minding semi-retirement in the least and hope that the new owner of my business doesn't need me for long!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished "Rush Home Road" and though I normally do not like stories that end "neat and sweet" I was happy with this one. I think this author knows how to weave a story in three dimensional tones. I felt Addy's yearning, and I wanted to slap Collette silly. In all, the story took me to familiar places I've never been, and reminded me of well-loved faces I've never seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I flew through The Girls and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I moved onto Rush Home Road. I adored that story, even more than The Girls, which I didn't think was possible. I think Ms. Lansens is a master at characterization and she writes an ending that is so perfect for the story line. It takes a lot to make me cry but I shed a few tears over this one.
Well, crap, I guess that I'll have to try Rush Home Road again. Maybe I tried to read it too soon after reading (and loving) The Pecan Man.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, crap, I guess that I'll have to try Rush Home Road again. Maybe I tried to read it too soon after reading (and loving) The Pecan Man.
I'm even more excited to read Rush Home Road now and I sure wish the library would get it fixed so I can. I think you've had a nice little break since Pecan Man now (or will very soon anyway ).

Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"Dove" by Robin Lee Graham (I know, it's been on the active list for a while).

Went through most of it today, taking an easy day at home as I pill pop before they have me loopy under the knife tomorrow.

Not sure which book I'll pick up next today......but I have a lot of biographies and personal quest books lying around.

By the way, don't panic if I'm off line till Monday or so. They don't want me exercising for 48 hours afterwards to keep the BP down......and I think staying off the Net is an excellent way to keep the BP down.

But, after Monday........then you can send out the search planes.
I read Dove growing up and loved it - I especially loved the pictures and still remember being awed about how young the author was when he sailed alone around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books