Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides yesterday. I can already tell why this novel won the Pulitzer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides yesterday. I can already tell why this novel won the Pulitzer.
WHAT? You never read it?! I'm SO glad that you're rectifying that situation now.

It's a FABULOUS book. The story is terrific and the writing is perfect.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
I also loved Middlesex, but not the other books.

Okay, I need (pretty please!) someone to read Dietland by Sarai Walker so I can discuss it with someone (will never know anyone in real life who would). I admit I was hesitant, thinking it would be inane chick lit about an overweight woman and her foibles with dieting. I assumed she would struggle but then either lose the weight and find a guy or (less likely) she would find a guy who would love her for her. The cover photo shows a cupcake as a bomb!

http://www.amazon.com/Dietland-Sarai...words=Dietland

It is so not chick lit. It is definitely a feminist book that completely addresses our obsession with weight, appearance, and women's sexual desirability. The author has a doctorate in feminist studies. She is a good writer---it's not the most lyrical book I have ever read, but that wouldn't be appropriate for the subject matter. I actually think this should be required reading for women of all ages, but especially younger women.

It's not for the faint-hearted. There is a definite misandry here. These women get revenge on men...and in a violent way. There are no kumbaya moments where women and men sit around a campfire communing. But I think this book is every bit as important as Erica Jong's Fear of Flying was so many years ago.

I knew it would be a tough act to follow. Wanted something lighter, so I tried Enchanted August out of my stack of 30 library books---loved the movie Enchanted April and since it's August it seemed appropriate. Uggh. This I would say is chick lit. It started out so promisingly, with the first line of "When Lottie Wilkes opened her eyes on the morning of June 13, she congratulated herself on passing the one-year mark without having had sex with her husband." But then it devolved to the typical plot of four supposedly diverse characters (but the two women were difficult to distinguish, then the obligatory celebrity actress running away from it all, and the gay guy) finding peace and happiness and themselves in a wondrous Maine beach house. More a homage to summering on the beach than a true character study or plot.

So now I am seeing whether I like A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. So far---okay, not her best.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I'm reading the White Queen because I liked the mini series they made of it on Starz. It's pretty good but get's drawn out in places. I think it's brilliant that the second book, the Red Queen, is the same story, but from the other queen's perspective.

Also reading The Magicians, which is pretty good. If you've read Harry Potter, it's not going to measure up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2015, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 7,489 times
Just finished Born with Teeth by Kate Mulgrew. I was pleasantly surprised. She is a wonderful writer.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I started Infinite Home by Kathleen Alcott. It took a bit to get into it but I'm at 16% now and I'm enjoying it.
I've changed my mind about Infinite Home. I'm at 25% and, although all the characters live in the same brownstone and sometimes -- but rarely -- intersect, I'm giving up. I feel like I'm reading five stories in parallel, instead of one cohesive tale. It's bugging me a lot.

I'll find something else to read later or tomorrow. Certainly there's enough else to choose from.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I still re-read this occasionally. Love her writing and her very poignant portrayal of female friendship.
I enjoyed the friendship aspect also and can relate with how dogs can bring people together. One of my very best friends became a friend through our dogs. Her female pup and my male were litter mates. They are both about to turn seven years old and we have been great friends since!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Started listening to "The White Lioness" 3rd in Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander Series, read by Dick Hill.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Castles of Steel, Robert Massie

Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Ugh. First I was in a reading slump, then I got really busy at work and barely got on C-D. When work eased up, I had missed about a month of this forum and it was overwhelming to try and catch up because I like to read every post and put promising books on my TBR. So I let another month pass without coming over here until this morning when I couldn't stand it any longer and started trying to catch up. So far I'm on page 1512 so I have about 50 pages (500 posts!) to go.

The good news is, I think I'm out of my slump. I spent a very, very long time reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It was written in 1868 and is described as the first mystery. Even though it was written so long ago, it's not a difficult read if you've read Jane Austen or anything by the Bronte sisters. Parts of it are very funny and it was engaging enough.

Next I tried The Martian by Andy Weir but didn't like it and didn't finish it. Interesting premise, but reads like a screenplay with very little character development and flat writing. At least IMO. I'll probably see the movie though, so I can find out what happens.

Went to the library and did a couple of random grabs. I'm currently reading Boleto by Alyson Hagy and am really, really enjoying it. It's a "man and a horse" story set in Wyoming and reminds me of all the animal stories I read as a kid although this is clearly written for adults. The writing is descriptive without being flowery and the story is unfolding at just the right pace. There may or may not be a bit of mystery involved. I'm just so happy to be reading something that I hate to put down and can't wait to pick up again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/bo...hagy.html?_r=0

Last edited by Marlow; 08-06-2015 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books