Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 12:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished Empty Mansions. Go figure that the last 30% would be an appendix. *shrug*

I'm waiting on a bunch of books to become my turn! my turn! at the library. Actually, I'm first on the list for a few of them but they're just-released (paper) books so they have to be "processed" first. Maybe they -- or the other library -- will get the Kindle version soon too.

Anyway.

I noticed ANOTHER book on my Kindle that I'd been meaning to finish. And by that, I mean "meaning to START and finish." So, yeah, I started The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. (I loved Middlesex. The Marriage Plot sucked... or at least the first 5% sucked; that's as far as I bothered to get.)
I better mention now (since I probably didn't before) that I read The Virgin Suicides back in the 1990s. I remember liking it, although it's so sad thinking about what it is about. But I do remember I likd it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I better mention now (since I probably didn't before) that I read The Virgin Suicides back in the 1990s. I remember liking it, although it's so sad thinking about what it is about. But I do remember I likd it.
Yes, wise thinking.

If you wouldn't mind, could you make a list of ALL the books that you've EVER read, with a note -- just a brief one -- about whether or not you enjoyed it and why. That would be super-helpful.

PS. You're going to tell me to join Goodreads because there's some magic trick there that will let me see a list of all the books that you've read, right?

PPS. Did you read Middlesex? No? Please do. It's FANTASTIC.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Yes, wise thinking.

If you wouldn't mind, could you make a list of ALL the books that you've EVER read, with a note -- just a brief one -- about whether or not you enjoyed it and why. That would be super-helpful.

PS. You're going to tell me to join Goodreads because there's some magic trick there that will let me see a list of all the books that you've read, right?

PPS. Did you read Middlesex? No? Please do. It's FANTASTIC.
I'll get right on that... Nope, not going to tell you there's some magic trick over at Goodreads because I usually just mark it as read and don't really give a review so it's just not the right kind of magic trick.

I have not read Middlesex but I will go and see about it now....okay, I'm back. Library has it as audio book and regular book with a hold list. No hold list on audio. Not sure about audio book right now so need to think on it. Hmmmmmm.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting on a bunch of books to become my turn! my turn! at the library. Actually, I'm first on the list for a few of them but they're just-released (paper) books so they have to be "processed" first. Maybe they -- or the other library -- will get the Kindle version soon too.
I do this to myself ALL THE TIME! I jinxed myself by writing that. That! What I wrote above ^^. Sure enough, they all became available as Kindle versions and they're all mine, mine, mine! Except... I'm at 20% in The Virgin Suicides so I'll let them sit (or get borrowed by someone else) until I finish what I'm reading (and enjoying).

Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
I've Finished off a few, but, I think one author, Catherine Ryan Hyde, I'm going to have to lay off of reading her books they're exhausting my emotions. I'm just about in the middle of another of her books and I seem to constantly find myself in tears in this one especially, the title "Take Me With You" is wrenching, not in a bad way, so much, but for me it's constantly pulling the heart strings. I don't think I can take much more tugging. LOL!

Well my next three to read after I finish the one I'm presently reading, are: Americanah, Mail-Order Kid and, Oh gee, lookie here, I think I might have to leave this one off the list though it's in my possession already as it's another C R Hyde book, Jumpstart The World. Sigh.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Y'all make me laugh!

I just finished Younger and though I'm not a spy/mystery/thriller reader, I clearly got my $1.99 worth!

Next up is an impulsive Kindle purchase of Let's Take the Long Way Home because I am too lazy right now to queue up my Goodreads TBR list so I just scrolled back a few posts and made a pick.

And after having relative good luck with my first $1.99 Kindle purchase, Younger, I splurged another $1.99 on Trail of Broken Wings by Sejal Badani
Pinetree, I aam so glad you decided to read Let's Take the Long Way Home. I finished it yesterday. The author has a lovely writing style. Almost poetic if you will. I got a bit bogged down when she was describing her drinking issues but I kept reading and so glad I did.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Still working on The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. I'm finding myself skimming through the book quite a bit waiting to get to the important part, and I don't normally do this.

I ordered a Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear People of the Masks book and now I'm having a hard time finishing Girl and just want to go ahead and crack open the People book.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I just finished Lets's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell. What a gem it was. A book that read almost like poetry. There are books that just stay with you for a long time and this is one of them.
I still re-read this occasionally. Love her writing and her very poignant portrayal of female friendship.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Finished reading "In Paradise" by Peter Matthiessen yesterday. It was okay. At the end of the book, Matthiessen thanks his wife, his assistant, and finally his editor for "keeping this strange book coherent." My opinion was contrary. I think it is sad that only writer to win the National Book Award for both non-fiction (The Snow Leopard, in two categories, in 1979 and 1980) and fiction (Shadow Country, in 2008), his final novel would be so ambiguous and lack-luster.

Today I will start reading "Bellman & Black" by Diane Setterfield. I didn't realize when I reserved it from the library that it is actually on my "Halloween Reads" list. Normally I wouldn't read a ghost story except during October, but it's here and I've going with it.

Not sure yet what I will select for my next audiobook. More on that later.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM

The Virgin Suicides, not surprisingly, was depressing. It was good, it was introspective, but it was depressing.

I started Infinite Home by Kathleen Alcott. It took a bit to get into it but I'm at 16% now and I'm enjoying it.

There are so many books that I'm excited to read that, when I'm reading something else, my mind keeps drifting to the list of the others:

- All This Life
- Safekeeping (written by one of my cousin's oldest friends, Jessamyn Hope)
- Make Your Home Among Strangers
- Barefoot to Avalon
- Early From the Dance (David Payne)
- The Long and Faraway Gone
- Fates and Furies (Lauren Groff) – (release date 9/15/15)
- The Dangers of Proximal Alphabets
- Abroad
- Days of Awe
- What She Left Behind
- The Light of the World (memoir)
- The World’s Largest Man (memoir)
- The Odd Woman and the City
- The Invention of Wings (maybe?)
- The First 15 Lives of Harry August (maybe?)
- and, well, all the HUNDREDS OF OTHERS that are sitting on my Kindle. But most of those are older, so, even though I was excited about them once upon a time, they're now just the HUNDREDS OF OTHERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books