Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times

Advertisements

re reading the Harry Potter books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
re reading the Harry Potter books
I love those books. I read the first one because I was trying to get on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and figured I needed a working knowledge of HP. Once I started I couldn't stop. I feel the same way about the "Twilight" books.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
This week I have 3 books going at the same time.

I got busy and still need to finish The Locket I like it so far.

Yesterday I started a group read. Mudbound by Hilary Jordan. I like the style it is written in. Each person has their own chapters and you get to hear their point of view. It is good and I am waiting to see where it goes.
"In Jordan's prize-winning debut, prejudice takes many forms, both subtle and brutal. It is 1946, and city-bred Laura McAllan is trying to raise her children on her husband's Mississippi Delta farm―a place she finds foreign and frightening. In the midst of the family's struggles, two young men return from the war to work the land. Jamie McAllan, Laura's brother-in-law, is everything her husband is not―charming, handsome, and haunted by his memories of combat. Ronsel Jackson, eldest son of the black sharecroppers who live on the McAllan farm, has come home with the shine of a war hero. But no matter his bravery in defense of his country, he is still considered less than a man in the Jim Crow South. It is the unlikely friendship of these brothers-in-arms that drives this powerful novel to its inexorable conclusion."

And my next buddy read is The Coffin Dancer by Jeffrey Deaver. It's the second book in the series.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It took me three tries before The Martian grabbed me and after that, I thought it was fantastic.
Perhaps then if I find myself in the "right" mood I might have to give another go.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,006 times
Reading, "Believing the Lie", by Elizabeth George. British mystery, over 500 pages; I am a Thomas Lynley, fan and love the characters she comes up with. Sgt Havers is a blast! It is a good read, love her writings. Authors, what power they have!!! lol

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was flipping through my Kindle and found that, um, almost two years ago, I'd stopped reading Empty Mansions (the story of Huguette Clark) at 30%. I'm going to continue it now. Continue reading it, I mean. Not continue letting it sit on my Kindle unread.
A very interesting book I really liked.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I just finished listening to Veronica Roth's "Divergent" -- the first of this YA distopian trilogy. I liked it well enough.

She writes well. Her characters are a bit one dimensional, but still held my interest. Her plot is well executed and it has a nice pace to pull you through the unfolding -- at times I couldn't put it down. Ms Roth obviously has a good eye for our human foibles, and throughout the story she drops gems of wisdom about how good individuals with good intentions still result in a human collective that is marred by our most base motivations (greed, malice, etc).

Still, at this point I don't plan to continue with the trilogy, but who knows -- I might wake up one morning wondering what happens next?

I've waded through roughly 30% of "In Paradise" by Peter Matthiessen and I don't actually think he's God's gifted writer based on this, his final novel. Maybe I should read more of his works before making such a statement. It isn't the usual story about the atrocities against the Nazis' enemies -- not JUST Jews, but I don't really like the way he's handling the protagonist from the start. Normally I get perturbed with an author giving too much at the start of a story, but Matthiessen has gone to the opposite extreme -- giving too little. I know so little about the characters' motivations that just reading their actions and exchanges (insufficient to carry the rationale) leave me uncaring.

I don't know how long I will follow through with it, but so far I plan to go back to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ditto! I couldn't put my finger on why I only got through about 50 pages. Too many characters, all of whom seemed flat to me. It's not that the writing was bad. It just seemed dull. I admit I didn't even get to the part with the first plane wreck---don't know if that would have brought some life into the book (which would have been ironic since it would be death bringing life!).

Thanks so much for posting this. I was afraid that maybe I lost my inner young adult since I didn't like a book by THE YA writer of all time. And critics loved it. But I do think the book just wasn't all that...
THis.

I did finish the book, but I actually DISLIKED it. Too many characters....none of whom I liked...and all the plane crashes....geez. It seemed to me to be a formula-driven concept. I am surprised it got any good reviews. But, maybe it is just me. I have been reading so many really good books lately...this, to me, was not one of them.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:43 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was flipping through my Kindle and found that, um, almost two years ago, I'd stopped reading Empty Mansions (the story of Huguette Clark) at 30%. I'm going to continue it now. Continue reading it, I mean. Not continue letting it sit on my Kindle unread.
Dawn you crack me up!

I finished Younger. MEH, I gave it three stars but it was nothing special. The author did a credible job of keeping you guessing.

I just finished Lets's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell. What a gem it was. A book that read almost like poetry. There are books that just stay with you for a long time and this is one of them. I found myself copying passages from it into my thought book because she expressed feelings that I've had so beautifully. It is a true story and I hope some of you will decide to read it.

I'm not sure what I will be reading next. I'll decide later on this evening.

The good news is my back is feeling so much better and I have adopted two sweet kitty brothers from the SPCA. They are so comical and have fit right in with our two pupsters, DH, and me.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:49 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I finished City of Thieves thanks to all of your recommendations. It really was "all that". Just when you think you've heard it all, you come across something like this. It really was so well written and kept me turning page after page.

I just started The Girls, and am really liking it. I don't know who happened on it here on the forum, because it was written about 10 years ago and I don't think I ever heard of it. Such a good book already ( I am only at page 40 ish or so but it's very gripping).

I so appreciate the suggestions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books