Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Dawn you crack me up!

I finished Younger. MEH, I gave it three stars but it was nothing special. The author did a credible job of keeping you guessing.

I just finished Lets's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell. What a gem it was. A book that read almost like poetry. There are books that just stay with you for a long time and this is one of them. I found myself copying passages from it into my thought book because she expressed feelings that I've had so beautifully. It is a true story and I hope some of you will decide to read it.

I'm not sure what I will be reading next. I'll decide later on this evening.

The good news is my back is feeling so much better and I have adopted two sweet kitty brothers from the SPCA. They are so comical and have fit right in with our two pupsters, DH, and me.
I read Lets's Take the Long Way Home when it first came out and I remember that I loved it too.

YAY for a better back!

YAY YAY for two sweet kitty brothers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I finished City of Thieves thanks to all of your recommendations. It really was "all that". Just when you think you've heard it all, you come across something like this. It really was so well written and kept me turning page after page.

I just started The Girls, and am really liking it. I don't know who happened on it here on the forum, because it was written about 10 years ago and I don't think I ever heard of it. Such a good book already ( I am only at page 40 ish or so but it's very gripping).

I so appreciate the suggestions here.
I'm relieved that you so enjoyed City of Thieves. I think pinetreelover told me about it and then, after I read it, I started pushing everyone else to read it too.

As for The Girls, I came upon it on a thread here about books with multiple points of view. I thought it sounded good, so I got it. When I reported on THIS thread that I was reading it, people (fromuphere and jazzcat come to mind) came out of the woodwork saying how much they loved it when they'd read it way back when. But nobody had told ME about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...l#post11332593

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...u-reading.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...l#post21685240

Here are some links to earlier posts about The Girls in this thread that Dawn apparently just ignored. Oh I need the smiley who is laughing with tears gushing. Interestingly, I have no idea when it is that I actually read it but it was apparently before December 16, 2011.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...l#post11332593

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...u-reading.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...l#post21685240

Here are some links to earlier posts about The Girls in this thread that Dawn apparently just ignored. Oh I need the smiley who is laughing with tears gushing. Interestingly, I have no idea when it is that I actually read it but it was apparently before December 16, 2011.
Okay! But I don't KNOW those people who posted about it! It's a matter of trust, y'know! A belief system. A, a, a... thing! Whatever. You know EXACTLY what I mean!

Oh, I also need the smiley who is laughing with tears gushing.

Hahaha!

ETA: Um. Well. Yeah. It's true, too, that I don't know the person who posted about it in the multiple points of view thread, either. What I can tell you about that, though, is that I was bored at the time and looked up a bunch of books from that thread. That was the only one that "stuck." Good thing, too, because YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay! But I don't KNOW those people who posted about it! It's a matter of trust, y'know! A belief system. A, a, a... thing! Whatever. You know EXACTLY what I mean!

Oh, I also need the smiley who is laughing with tears gushing.

Hahaha!

ETA: Um. Well. Yeah. It's true, too, that I don't know the person who posted about it in the multiple points of view thread, either. What I can tell you about that, though, is that I was bored at the time and looked up a bunch of books from that thread. That was the only one that "stuck." Good thing, too, because YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT!
Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Sometimes I do that too. It has been a good thing a couple of times. Of course there are times when multiple LOVE a book so I give it a shot and it is torture. And then there are the times like Ella and Otto etc and I totally disagree until the last 2 or 3 pages....

I wonder why I never mentioned The Girls before. It is so weird to me.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Quote:

As for The Girls, I came upon it on a thread here about books with multiple points of view. I thought it sounded good, so I got it. When I reported on THIS thread that I was reading it, people (fromuphere and jazzcat come to mind) came out of the woodwork saying how much they loved it when they'd read it way back when. But nobody had told ME about it.
Ha! But you found it on your own. We had faith that you would. And see, you enjoyed it that much more since it was your own discovery! That's my story and I'm sticking to it (it can't be that I was just being too lazy to post about it!).

Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Sometimes I do that too. It has been a good thing a couple of times. Of course there are times when multiple LOVE a book so I give it a shot and it is torture. And then there are the times like Ella and Otto etc and I totally disagree until the last 2 or 3 pages....

I wonder why I never mentioned The Girls before. It is so weird to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ha! But you found it on your own. We had faith that you would. And see, you enjoyed it that much more since it was your own discovery! That's my story and I'm sticking to it (it can't be that I was just being too lazy to post about it!).
I adore you both!

Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I adore you both!
I adore you too!!

I finished The Good Girl by Mary Kubica last night. I'd give it 3-1/2 stars. I liked it, kept me interested, told from 3 different perspectives, although some people might not like the "before" and "after" aspect of the perspectives although they are labeled such. The only thing was I "figured it out" pretty early on IMO.

Next up is My Sunshine Away M.O. Walsh.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I started "The First Time I Said Goodbye". Very good so far, it is definitely keeping my interest.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Y'all make me laugh!

I just finished Younger and though I'm not a spy/mystery/thriller reader, I clearly got my $1.99 worth!

Next up is an impulsive Kindle purchase of Let's Take the Long Way Home because I am too lazy right now to queue up my Goodreads TBR list so I just scrolled back a few posts and made a pick.

And after having relative good luck with my first $1.99 Kindle purchase, Younger, I splurged another $1.99 on Trail of Broken Wings by Sejal Badani

Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM

I finished Empty Mansions. Go figure that the last 30% would be an appendix. *shrug*

I'm waiting on a bunch of books to become my turn! my turn! at the library. Actually, I'm first on the list for a few of them but they're just-released (paper) books so they have to be "processed" first. Maybe they -- or the other library -- will get the Kindle version soon too.

Anyway.

I noticed ANOTHER book on my Kindle that I'd been meaning to finish. And by that, I mean "meaning to START and finish." So, yeah, I started The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. (I loved Middlesex. The Marriage Plot sucked... or at least the first 5% sucked; that's as far as I bothered to get.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books