Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What does that have to do with buying ammo?
Well if you're going to require it for firearms, common sense would suggest you would do the same for ammunition.

Or would you say a background check is required for the shoulder fired anti-aircraft missile launcher, but not the missiles themselves?

California law makes it illegal for a felon to possess a firearm OR ammunition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Penal Code
(a)(1) No person prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800 ) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900 ) of Division 9 of this title, or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code , shall own, possess, or have under custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded ammunition.
Source https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...ect-30305.html

Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm OR AMMUNITION by a felon if it crossed state lines.

18 US Code section 922 (g) and (n).

https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...03/guncard.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Code
A. Possession or receipt of a firearm or ammunition;

B. By a subject who falls within one of the following categories:

Felon -(Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving firearms.)

(...)

AND C.The firearm or ammunition was transported across a state line at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
So if the state can do instant background checks for ammo, can I assume they can do them for firearms too?

So no more 10 day wait? Sweet !!

The 10 day waiting period is a cool down period to deter crimes of passion etc. The background check on a firearm takes seconds or less.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
The 10 day waiting period is a cool down period to deter crimes of passion etc. The background check on a firearm takes seconds or less.
I've got a gun room full of guns, making me wait ten days seems silly.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 PM

177 posts, read 125,964 times
Would you be okay with a background check every single time you want to fill up your car with gas so we can be sure your license is valid and not suspended?

it is already illegal for a felon to possess ammunition in CA (you even cited the section) so why add a law that only imposes restrictions on law abiding people?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:48 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Would you be okay with a background check every single time you want to fill up your car with gas so we can be sure your license is valid and not suspended?

it is already illegal for a felon to possess ammunition in CA (you even cited the section) so why add a law that only imposes restrictions on law abiding people?
Please don't bring logic and reason to an Internet discussion about California

Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Ya, it makes so much sense for a woman being threatened by her ex trying to buy a handgun to keep herself alive. Such common sense.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Nor does it affect you. You can still buy ammo. You just swipe your ID for a background check, just like you do when you guy a firearm. If one is ok, so is the other.

In theory, sure. In practice, if you're not skilled with getting the amount of gunpowder right and getting everything together properly....in any case, I would rather they have to do that then make it easy and convenient for them to get machined, properly manufactured, reliable ammo.

According to you it doesn't even have to be a stolen gun. Since you don't think we should be doing BGCs at all.

Doesn't bother me. Other forensic evidence will prove it was fired at a gun range.

It should be a federal law, yes I agree. Federal law should also limit how many rounds you can buy each month and how many firearms.

I am FAR from a leftist. I often vote for Republicans. But I am a member of the Democratic Party. I am center-left, or a blue dog Democrat.

https://bluedogcaucus-costa.house.gov/

I support an individual right to own firearms as long as we check to make sure the person is not psycho, doesn't have a criminal background or associate with those who do, etc.

I doubt it. Citation needed (CREDIBLE citation).
Correction. I can buy ammo after paying an over the top fee for the card. Then a transaction fee each time. Then get to do it again every year. That makes so much common sense after I've had to do it purchasing the firearm. Now I know how smokers feel.

You do know you can get reloaded ammo from a gun store that is loaded incorrectly? Because you can.

This guy claimed paddock reloaded his own and wasn't his but regardless, reloaded ammo. No BGC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ged/303053002/

Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 AM

864 posts, read 867,433 times
Quote:
[mod cut] Those instant background checks take about 20 minutes.

If California wants a background check, the cost should be paid by the state treasury not the law abiding citizen.

Last edited by volosong; 06-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Profanity/vulgar language prohibited by the T.O.S.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, it makes so much sense for a woman being threatened by her ex trying to buy a handgun to keep herself alive. Such common sense.
I hope the woman (or her family after she's killed by the ex-) can sue the State of California for her inability to get her firearm in a timely manner to protect herself. Now that would be a show !

Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
I've got a gun room full of guns, making me wait ten days seems silly.

the one dollar background check fee is just a tax.

you really cant avoid it but you can minimize the tax you pay by buying in bulk

instead of buying 50 round/box every time you go to the range or to the desert to plink iron, just buy 1000 rounds every year or depends how much you consume per year

yeah it sucks to pay background check fee every time you buy ammo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California