Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 05:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

He is referrencing Isaiah 14, but I don't know what translation. Christians are always quoting the modern translations that have so much error that it aint even funny. You read some of those modern translations, and you may as well give up because they will change the entire meaning of what was being said by the prophet who said it. Modern Translations will ruin and change what is most important. I could give many examples of parables being ruined, but that is in the New Testament, and the old is no different, things written in metaphor and symbolism completely lose their meanings from translating the most basic words.
We don’t have that problem in the Tanakh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
The same reason bullies keep going around terrorizing people smaller until a tough little guy beats him up

Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The same reason bullies keep going around terrorizing people smaller until a tough little guy beats him up
Ahhh. The classic Christian bullying atheist story.

Classic

Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,152,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You know that's something I've always wondered about.....why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil? Does he know something that we don't? Any thoughts?
We can take a queue from human history. For example, Adolf Hitler is responsible for the murder of millions, widespread devastation and misery. Yet, even when it was overwhelmingly clear his and the Third Reich's fate was sealed he didn't stop. Now take that arrogance, pride, evil, selfishness, wrap it up in a spirit being, Satan, and although it's difficult to comprehend the irrational behavior we do understand that it does occur and there doesn't need to be an unrevealed reason for it. Just my opinion.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 PM

3,220 posts, read 929,359 times
Quote:
You know that's something I've always wondered about.....why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil? Does he know something that we don't? Any thoughts?
Satan, the devil, doesn't know he is the devil. Nor do his followers know they follow him.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,648,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
We can take a queue from human history. For example, Adolf Hitler is responsible for the murder of millions, widespread devastation and misery. Yet, even when it was overwhelmingly clear his and the Third Reich's fate was sealed he didn't stop. Now take that arrogance, pride, evil, selfishness, wrap it up in a spirit being, Satan, and although it's difficult to comprehend the irrational behavior we do understand that it does occur and there doesn't need to be an unrevealed reason for it. Just my opinion.
Hitler committed suicide inside one of his bunkers when he knew he had been beaten. A few other Nazis did the same thing, some tried, but failed too.

But then again, you cannot really compare satans position with any humans, satan was said to be the greatest of all the angels, he was the most intelligent as well.

Looking at everything that happens with Satan/God 'post-fall', its clear to me, satan did not rebel at all, he is simply doing what he was created for, the story of the 'fall' is just that...a story...probably for our benefit, so we can understand the larger picture.

If satan TRULY rebelled against God, he would have NO part in anything that may benefit Gods grand plan either.

I cannot name the exact verse, but the one that says Satan will be chained in the pit for 1000 years, but then he must be let loose again, for a short time....here again, if he TRULY rebelled against God, why must he be released again for a short time, this implies he serves some purpose, something that Gods plan relies on ultimately.

Another verse, where God and satan meet, and God asks him, where have you been, satan replies, that he has been coming and going from the earth. (this one is easy enough I dont have to spell it out, is clear satan is not Gods adversary).

Old 07-13-2019, 02:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,058,997 times
Quote:
For the same reason atheists today deny God's existence, even though they know in their hearts he does. The power of sin.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
For the same reason atheists today deny God's existence, even though they know in their hearts he does. The power of sin.
Interesting, as sin seems to have an effect on your state of mind?

Old 07-13-2019, 02:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,223,237 times
Quote:
He's playing the more exciting game with the biggest number of players. Guess he just doesn't see the losing for the winning.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 8,161 times
Quote:
Satan knows that Jehovah God is powerful and yes, you're right he knows what God has plan for him in the end. HOWEVER, Satan doesn't care about us, so he wants everybody to go down with him and wants to cause fear and pain upon us. The bible said, "Keep your senses, be watchful! Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone" (1 Peter 5:8), and the bible also stated, "So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him (Revelation 12:9). We have to take these scriptures into our hearts and listen to God's warnings and fight with God against Satan and his temptations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity