Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 08:52 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus spoke much about the wrath of God.
According to what our ignorant ancestors recorded who believed everything negative in life was the result of God's wrath. That undeniable fact seems not to faze you or your acceptance of it. Amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 09:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
According to what our ignorant ancestors recorded who believed everything negative in life was the result of God's wrath. That undeniable fact seems not to faze you or your acceptance of it. Amazing!
There are many things we as Christians have to accept. Eternal torment is just one of many.

I'm not crazy about going to church and seeing the hypocrites there doing their pretending, it makes me sick to my stomach. I know they are hypocrites playing their games and they know I know they are hypocrites, pretending. They don't associate with me nor me them!

But I go to honor the Lord as I'm commanded to do, I just do my best to overlook it and concentrate on why I'm there. I just started back having quit going because of my Mom and covid, they see me and turn the other way.

You will find there are many things about being a Christian that are not desirable and you have no control over it.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:02 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
There are many things we as Christians have to accept. Eternal torment is just one of many.
Eternal torment is a belief of the scripturally inept and is arrived at, not from the Bible, but from the guy who stands behind the pulpit and preaches a cruel and completely false message to his gullible congregation. All of the references in the Bible that result in a belief of 'Dante's Inferno' are symbolic, i.e. not literal, but the scripturally inept don't have the wherewithal to realize this. Plus, this horrible and insane belief appears to damn those who 'the saints' personally dislike - as in "they deserve it!" - while exalting them to a level of self-piety. THIS is not a 'Christianity issue' but rather a 'psychological issue' that needs to be avoided like the plague ...or Covid-19.

Quote:
I'm not crazy about going to church and seeing the hypocrites there doing their pretending, it makes me sick to my stomach. I know they are hypocrites playing their games and they know I know they are hypocrites, pretending. They don't associate with me nor me them!
Are these 'hypocrites' you speak of those who don't go along with your personal insane belief in eternal torment, Charlie? As said, beliefs such as those you hold on certain Bible matters that may be known to them - as well as your manner of delivery - may not make you the most appealing person to hang with.

Quote:
But I go to honor the Lord as I'm commanded to do, I just do my best to overlook it and concentrate on why I'm there. I just started back having quit going because of my Mom and covid, they see me and turn the other way.
You give a lot of 'lip service' to the Lord on these threads, Charlie, but are they for real? Maybe you need to re-think what 'honoring the Lord' actually means? Come to think of it ...maybe I do too.

Quote:
You will find there are many things about being a Christian that are not desirable and you have no control over it.
No 'Christian' should come across as 'undesirable', Charlie. I realize how cliche this sounds but our actions really do speak louder than our words. I've known - and know of - those who are not Christians as well as those who are Christians who are well liked, it appears, by everybody. Christians are only disliked because they are not very likeable to begin with. 'Christianity' per se has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 08-25-2021 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 10:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Eternal torment is a belief of the scripturally inept and is arrived at, not from the Bible, but from the guy who stands behind the pulpit and preaches a cruel and completely false message to his gullible congregation. All of the references in the Bible that result in a belief of 'Dante's Inferno' are symbolic, i.e. not literal, but the scripturally inept don't have the wherewithal to realize this. Plus, this horrible and insane belief appears to damn those who 'the saints' personally dislike - as in "they deserve it!" - while exalting them to a level of self-piety. THIS is not a 'Christianity issue' but rather a 'psychological issue' that needs to be avoided like the plague ...or Covid-19.

Are these 'hypocrites' you speak of those who don't go along with your personal insane belief in eternal torment, Charlie? As said, beliefs such as those you hold on certain Bible matters that may be known to them - as well as your manner of delivery - don't make you the most appealing person to hang with.

You give a lot of 'lip service' to the Lord on these threads, Charlie, but are they for real? Maybe you need to re-think what 'honoring the Lord' actually means? Come to think of it ...maybe I do too.

No 'Christian' should come across as 'undesirable', Charlie. I realize how cliche this sounds but our actions really do speak louder than our words. I've known - and know of - those who are not Christians as well as those who are Christians who are well liked, it appears, by everybody. Christians are only disliked because they are not very likeable to begin with. 'Christianity' per se has nothing to do with it.
Yea, I'm a phony, Rom, you see right through me. Can't hide anything from you.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:36 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm a phony, Rom, you see right through me. Can't hide anything from you.
I don't know about 'phony', Charlie. 'Misguided' maybe. Believe it or not, my previous post was not intended as a 'put-down' but rather as a 'wake up, Charlie' prompt. In these times we probably all could do with a wake up call since the world does seem to be going to pot in so many ways. There are those who believe the world is now showing signs of the beginning of the fulfilling of prophetical 'last-day events' as per the Bible. And, while I've always been skeptical of any so-called 'signs' that are said to be affiliated with such events, I must admit that, at times, I do have to wonder if there may be some truth behind this belief.

Anyway, off-topic ^ but we probably do need to focus more on the positives of the genuine Christian message rather than on the mostly erroneous man-made negatives.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:16 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As a Christian, you believe Jesus is God in the flesh, right? While in the flesh, Jesus showed no wrath or vengeance in Him under the most horrendous and completely unjustified scourging and crucifixion because of their ignorance. Yet you believe He would have eternal wrath and vengeance for the ignorance of NOT BELIEVING what you think we should believe ABOUT Him????? That makes perfect sense to you, does it????
Jesus was slow to anger when dying on the Cross; that fits right in with the narrative of Nahum 1:2-3.

Once God executes His wrath, watch out (Psalms 76:7)!

Psa 76:7, Thou, even thou, art to be feared: and who may stand in thy sight when once thou art angry?
Psa 76:8, Thou didst cause judgment to be heard from heaven; the earth feared, and was still,
Psa 76:9, When God arose to judgment, to save all the meek of the earth. Selah.
Psa 76:10, Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
All of the references in the Bible that result in a belief of 'Dante's Inferno' are symbolic, i.e. not literal, but the scripturally inept don't have the wherewithal to realize this.
It is those who have the tendency to deny sound doctrine, as was prophesied in 2 Timothy 4:3, who believe that the scriptures that teach eternal torments are symbolic and therefore do not mean what they say. They heap to themselves teachers to tell them what their itching ears want to hear...the primary doctrine that this is referring to is the false doctrine that there is no hell or that it is not an eternal punishment.

Who doesn't want to hear that? I know that it tickles even my ears.

But, it is not the truth.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:09 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Jesus was slow to anger when dying on the Cross; that fits right in with the narrative of Nahum 1:2-3.

Once God executes His wrath, watch out (Psalms 76:7)!
You are too deeply covered and blinded by the veil of ignorance from reading the OT and Moses. You refuse to let the Holy Spirit of Jesus lift the veil. You do not follow the God of Jesus Christ. You follow the God of Moses. 2nd Corinthians 3:14-17

Old 08-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Jesus is the voice that spoke to Moses from the burning bush (Exodus 3:14, John 8:58).

He IS the God of Moses.

When Paul wrote that all scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16), he was primarily referring to the Old Testament.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 AM

Notice that in 2 Corinthians 3, it does NOT say that when the vail is lifted, a man will cease from reading what is in the Old Testament.

It is written basically that when the vail is lifted, a man will begin to see the OT in light of the Cross...and the doctrines of grace in the NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity