Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 05:55 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
in Matthew13 Christ Jesus said you are either given to know Mysteries or solve the parables....
Yes

Multitudes are given parables

Mat 13:2**And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
Mat 13:3**And he spake many things unto them in parables

G3850***(Strong)
παραβολή
parabolē
par-ab-ol-ay'
From G3846; a similitude (“parable”), that is, (symbolically) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apoth gm or adage: - comparison, figure, parable, proverb.

Disciples are given mysteries

Mat 13:10**And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11**He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

G3466***(Strong)
μυστήριον
mustērion
moos-tay'-ree-on
From a derivative of μύω muō (to shut the mouth); a secret or “mystery” (through the idea of silence imposed by initiation into religious rites): - mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 PM

Basically we do have a choice, when we choose we need to know exactly what the choices are in what we are choosing between and also be aware of the consequences of our actions

There is the reaping what we sow

Ignorance is an excuse, and because of that there will be a type of “blinding” so we (humans generally) are naturally restricted in what we are sowing

Joh 12:39**Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
Joh 12:40**He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
Joh 12:41**These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
Joh 12:42**Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
Joh 12:43**For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Luk 23:34**Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
Luk 23:35**And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:08 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The only perfect human is Jesus Christ, period. The word translated as "perfect" actually means "mature." You are clueless and not remotely perfect thinking that God wants parrots.
Yeah you keep saying that but it also means perfect but you can’t be perfect because darkness is over you so you like mature better.

In fact I knew you would bring that up because you can’t stand to think I am right because your insecure in your beliefs. Your so far off it is amazing you don’t get it.

Read it and weep!

“I love what is right, I hate violence and injustice” saith the LORD.

“I the LORD say what is right, I speak the truth.”

“Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Fathers commandments and abide in His love.”

Old 10-22-2021, 07:11 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
One must be baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It can’t be done in minutes. It takes many days.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yes

Multitudes are given parables

Mat 13:2**And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
Mat 13:3**And he spake many things unto them in parables

G3850***(Strong)
παραβολή
parabolē
par-ab-ol-ay'
From G3846; a similitude (“parable”), that is, (symbolically) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apoth gm or adage: - comparison, figure, parable, proverb.

Disciples are given mysteries

Mat 13:10**And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11**He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

G3466***(Strong)
μυστήριον
mustērion
moos-tay'-ree-on
From a derivative of μύω muō (to shut the mouth); a secret or “mystery” (through the idea of silence imposed by initiation into religious rites): - mystery.
Perfect also means initiated

Old 10-22-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Perfect also means initiated
I don’t think so

It depends on what the thing is, perfection is relational and it depends on what things are used for and what their purpose is

Initiation, perfection, maturity are totally different concepts - different stages and also depends on what the thing is

And then we have the difference between individual and the assembly... we can not confuse different things together

Old 10-22-2021, 08:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I don’t think so

It depends on what the thing is, perfection is relational and it depends on what things are used for and what their purpose is

Initiation, perfection, maturity are totally different concepts - different stages and also depends on what the thing is

And then we have the difference between individual and the assembly... we can not confuse different things together
https://www.companionbiblecondensed....ex.html?page=1

https://biblehub.com/greek/5046.htm
"Cognate: 5046 téleios (an adjective, derived from 5056 /télos, "consummated goal") – mature (consummated) from going through the necessary stages to reach the end-goal, i.e. developed into a consummating completion by fulfilling the necessary process (spiritual journey). See 5056 (telos)."

Last edited by G.Duval; 10-22-2021 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 11:01 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
One must be baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It can’t be done in minutes. It takes many days.
No. Read Acts 2, Acts 10, the Spirit descending on Christ...

When the Father decides to send the Spirit to baptize, it occurs immediately.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:43 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Read Acts chapter 10. Cornelius and his household (Gentiles) received the Holy Spirit BEFORE they got water baptized.

Then read Acts 8:14-16. The Samaritans had been baptized in the name of Jesus but did not receive the Holy Spirit until a later time when Peter and John laid hands on them and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit.

The only people who were told to be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit were the Jews (Acts 2:38)
I believe you have missed a very important point concerning Acts 2:38. Verse 39 is key to understanding who baptism is for.

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 2:39 “For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God our God will call.”

This promise was to continue throughout the ages, until Jesus comes again.

The phrase “afar off,” iis referring to Gentiles. Ephesians 2:17 bears this out. Those Paul refers to in the Ephesians passage as “near” are Jews. Those he refers to as “afar off” are Gentiles. There is no disputing this.

Here is the passage in context.

Ephesians 2:14-18 “For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in his flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that he might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
And he came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near for through him we both have access by one spirit to the Father.

Last edited by MissKate12; 10-23-2021 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-23-2021, 05:04 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Controlling or changing people never works or lasts. A person must feel lead inwardly, and get direction internally. Directing from externally (other people) eventually decays and erodes. Only the matters with/from above continue and last. Also, the ways of the faithful - as simple example - are sufficient, and outshine the preachers and meddlers.
Controlling? Our job as Christians is to contend for the faith. That’s what I’m doing. When we can get people to look deep into the Scriptures, and be aware of everything God said about whatever the topic may be, they can then see the truth for themselves. If getting people to study for themselves decays and erodes them, then why did the Holy Spirit, through Paul, say “contend for the faith?” I was born, raised and educated in Roman Catholicism. I thank God every day that He sent someone my way who led me out of that false religion, someone who was contending for the faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity