Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 03:13 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus technically never rescinded anything. He said John baptized with water. That was never the baptism of Jesus. That's what everyone else assumes. Jesus never said His baptism is of water. He never baptized anyone in water. He never told anyone to get baptized in water. If i am wrong, show me... and show me where it says baptized specifically in water. Don't just show me that He referred to baptism.

What did Jesus say?

Baptism is in the Father, Son, and Spirit (Matthew 28). That's not water. It is our spirits being immersed into the Holy Spirit - and by union, the Father and Son as well.

Jesus said in Acts 1 that John baptized with water, but the disciples would be baptized with the Holy Spirit. That means - no water.

You quoted Acts 2 above. Where's the water? You and many others are so programmed to believe that baptism is synonymous with water, that you can't see what Scripture says.

You asked for verses in your OP, and I gave them to you. It's mentioned in every gospel. John baptized with water. Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit. It's plain as day. Jesus said it in Acts 1. John said it and it was recorded in every gospel account.

Luke 3:16 - John answered and said to them all, “As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

What else do you need?
I agree Rob

There is an overlaying that happens

The sacramental, ritual, external (flesh) was to be instituted for us to focus on here and there is a higher, internal (spirit) meaning attached to it

The sacraments, rituals are to “pass away” and are referenced here in Hebrews

Heb 1:1**God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2**Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Heb 1:3**Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Heb 6:1**Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2**Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
John 3:5 says: Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit."

I mean, Jesus said do it and he did it - just do it. I can't imagine that there's something WRONG with doing it.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
John 3:5 says: Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit."

I mean, Jesus said do it and he did it - just do it. I can't imagine that there's something WRONG with doing it.
born of Water... human birth

born of Spirit... spiritual birth

It is not a water baptism. He's talking about the birth process.

John 3:4-6 - Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Also - there is nothing WRONG with baptizing in water... it just doesn't do anything... except be a visual testimony to others.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:43 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:

It's scary how some read scripture too literally, as if not processing all that's come before. Taking all in together - and also keeping conclusions not so quick - helps put scripture in perspective, so we develop a "feel" for the messages, and don't rely on a simplistic and mechanical approach to reading. That other sense steers us in the right direction. Without it though is like getting behind the wheel of a car with no preparation or foundation. Watch out!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-22-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 03:50 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I agree Rob

There is an overlaying that happens

The sacramental, ritual, external (flesh) was to be instituted for us to focus on here and there is a higher, internal (spirit) meaning attached to it

The sacraments, rituals are to “pass away” and are referenced here in Hebrews

Heb 1:1**God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2**Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Heb 1:3**Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Heb 6:1**Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2**Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
I don't see it as a sacrament or ritual.

Baptism with the Spirit by Jesus is absolutely necessary for salvation and to be equipped to be in an eternal relationship with God.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:

John 3:4-6 - Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Also - there is nothing WRONG with baptizing in water... it just doesn't do anything... except be a visual testimony to others.
How I see it the baptism was about the need to be affiliated to a system to get access to the religious information - it was “bound” up

Since the 1500’s with increasing eduction and general availability of the information with printing and translation, I believe the water baptism is now a formality, tradition and is about (earthly, religious) affiliation

A lot of the denominations have served their purpose which was/is in their naming - They served their purpose then, and there is still a need for ongoing repentance, change, reformation that started in the 1500’s for they still have more to do

Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, Jehovah Witness, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, 7th Day Adventist, etc It’s not wrong to be affiliated to any of those assemblies but we need to realise their essential earthly/adamic nature

Old 10-22-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

It's scary how some read scripture too literally, as if not processing all that's come before. Taking all in together - and also keeping conclusions not so quick - helps put scripture in perspective, so we develop a "feel" for the messages, and don't rely on a simplistic and mechanical approach to reading. That other sense steers us in the right direction. Without it though is like getting behind the wheel of a car with no preparation or foundation. Watch out!
I agree

Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't see it as a sacrament or ritual.

Baptism with the Spirit by Jesus is absolutely necessary for salvation and to be equipped to be in an eternal relationship with God.
I don’t see the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a ritual either

The ritual/symbol is in the water baptism

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-22-2021 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 05:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Good Morning Mystic. Your statement, “The Bible is riddled with the precepts and doctrines of men, etc.” is very broad. Can you give me some examples? Maybe then we can differentiate between them and the word of God.
in Matthew13 Christ Jesus said you are either given to know Mysteries or solve the parables....

Old 10-22-2021, 05:54 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Can you provide specific Scriptures? I find debating without book, chapter and verse to be a waste of time. If you have an opinion, then support it with God's word, otherwise, it is simply your opinion.
I can do that, but it will be long and tedious you may not find it acceptable if you believe our ancestors' primitive interpretations were correct. They were terrified of Spirits, they did not have the knowledge of the brain we have today and were too carnal-minded to understand being born again as a Spirit.

Baptism and the Water of Life

Baptism is a symbolic representation of the actual process within our brain that strengthens our eternal soul throughout life by denial of our selfish urges. It results in our rebirth as Spirit upon our death. Jesus explained this rebirth to Nicodemus. Nicodemus asked: "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born again?" Jesus answered,

John 3:4

. . . I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Do not wonder that I said to thee, 'You must be born again.'

In this remarkable passage from John, the word Water has major significance. It is clear from the many references to it, that ordinary water is not what is meant here, since it is actually within each of us. There are many mentions of this internal water of life,

John 7:38,

. . . He who believes in me, as the scripture says, ' From within him there shall flow rivers of living water.'

John 4:13

. . . He, however, who drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him shall become in him a fountain of water, springing up unto life everlasting.

This water of life within us that relates to our ability to achieve rebirth refers to the fluid surrounding our brain. It is truly a water of life. However, at the time of Christ and John the Baptist, this was not exactly common knowledge. It still isn't very well known.

There is a standard pattern to human cognitive learning and the acceptance of new ideas. There must be at each new departure, a connecting link with previous knowledge or experience. Our means of achieving eternal life consists of self-control of our selfish urges through "immersion" into the water-like fluid surrounding our brain.

Our primitive ancestors could only produce a simple introduction to this concept . . . probably using the link with the birth water that precedes our physical birth. For the primitives of John's day, immersion into river water and the rebirth that was symbolized by it set the basic concept firmly in the memory of the species.

John the Baptist's teaching of baptism by water was simply our first primitive introduction to the concept and the methodology of rebirth. His task was to pave the way for future understanding.

John 1:26,

. . . I baptize with water; but in the midst of you there stood one whom you do not know. He it is who is to come after me, who has been set above me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to loose.

John 1:31,

. . . And I did not know him. But that he may be known to Israel, for this reason have I come baptising with water.

and John 1:33,

. . . And I did not know him. But he who sent me to baptise with water said to me, 'He upon whom thou wilt see the Spirit descending, and abiding upon him, he it is who baptises with the Holy Spirit.'

Since one's attitude and one's spirit are really synonyms this basic idea would make it easier to accept and understand the true method once human knowledge progressed enough to have sufficient information about our brain, its functions, and its environment consisting of the water of life.

To discern the essentials of the actual process that is involved we need additional clues,
Revelation 22:1,

. . . And He showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming forth from the throne of God. . . And He who was on the throne said . . . To him who thirsts I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely. He who overcomes shall possess these things, and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Basically, we know that mental activity is a process of energy change. Our brain cells transmute energy into thoughts. We do not know what happens to energy in the form of thoughts, but the fluid around the brain and neurotransmitters are intricately involved. Apparently, there is some electrochemical energy transmutation involving neurotransmitters when our consciousness interacts with our inner urges or basic drives ("He who overcomes"). The interaction produces changes in the composition of the water of life around our brain.

That should be sufficient to suggest that the kind of self-control we achieve throughout life is the source for the changes in this Water of Life within us otherwise we would never change our emotional age. This development (or lack thereof) has obvious implications for the fate that awaits our soul. It is entirely plausible that the energy of our soul (the source of our emotional maturity) is transformed by a specific type of mental activity and ion transfer in the fluid surrounding our brain.

A direct relationship between emotional maturity, mental health, depression, etc., and the composition of the fluid around the brain has been clearly established. Our emotional age normally increases for most of us as we mature. It is determined by and determines our level of self-control over our emotions and it is related to the composition of the fluid around our brain.

Some research conducted with severely emotionally retarded patients and this fluid around the brain provides potential insights into this connection. Altering the fluid around their brains has produced startling, if only temporary, increases in their emotional age. The fact that the changes were only temporary and could not be maintained without external supplementation.

Apparently, the composition of the fluid must be changed by internal mental processes. The good news is that temporary supplementation can create a more suitable environment for the brain to perform the actual mental processes of self-control that might eventually make the supplementation unnecessary. This is of course barring any actual congenital or disease factors.

John 3:5-8 King James Version (KJV)

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

No one still alive in their physical body has been "born again" as spirit. That requires our physical death and rebirth.

1st Corinthians 15:35-36 King James Version

35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

So what does the phrase "born again" actually refer to. It refers to being "conceived from above" (conceived by God). Conception is NOT birth as any woman knows.

Greek Word Studies: Born (begotten, father of, conceived) (1080)(gennao)
(gennao from genos = offspring, in turn from ginomai = to become) means to beget, to generate. To beget Is spoken of men (Mt 1:2-16), whereas to bear is spoken of women. The passive voice means to be begotten. gennaō ek theos " begotten of God" gennaō anōthen (begotten from above, from a higher place, of things which come from heaven or God)"born again" anagennaō "born again" gennaō ek pneuma "born of Spirit"

The most notable uses of gennao are in the description of Jesus' virgin birth in which He was "conceived (gennao) in her (Mary) of the Holy Spirit." (Mt 1:20). He is described as "begotten (gennao)." (Acts 13:33).

1 John 4:7-8 King James Version

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 2:29 (King James Version)
29If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 John 3:7 (King James Version)
7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1 John 3:9 (King James Version)
9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:7-8 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

These are such perfect verses for highlighting the importance of ACTIONS. It also highlights the meaning of "born of God" that is confused with "born again" (anagennaō) or "born from above" (gennaō anōthen). "Born of God" is gennaō ek theos or "begotten of God" which means "to be conceived by God" as a spiritual embryo.

Spiritual embryos must mature sufficiently to be born. It is our actions in "love of God and each other" through our lives that achieve that spiritual maturation and determines what we have "built upon the foundation of Jesus"(wood, hay, stubble or gold, silver, etc.)This is what those who call themselves "born again" while still in the flesh are actually referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity