Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2021, 05:14 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
In what way is it literal though? Do you as an individual pick up a literal snake and expect to be not bitten?

Joh 3:10**Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
Joh 3:11**Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
Joh 3:12**If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
Joh 3:13**And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Joh 3:14**And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
Joh 3:15**That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Num 21:5**And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
Num 21:6**And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
Num 21:7**Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
Num 21:8**And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Num 21:9**And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Ummmm.... the kingdom of the Lord that we are to pray to come referenced in the Matthew passage
No, I don’t pick up snakes, but Paul did, literally. The signs Jesus talked about (casting out demons, speaking in tongues, taking up serpents, drinking anything deadly, and healing) have ceased. Those gifts were given to the early church to confirm the gospel. Christians today confirm the gospel with the written word of God.

This is way off topic from my OP. Maybe you could start a new thread that will focus on what you want to discuss? I would be happy to participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 05:30 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus technically never rescinded anything. He said John baptized with water. That was never the baptism of Jesus. That's what everyone else assumes. Jesus never said His baptism is of water. He never baptized anyone in water. He never told anyone to get baptized in water. If i am wrong, show me... and show me where it says baptized specifically in water. Don't just show me that He referred to baptism.

What did Jesus say?

Baptism is in the Father, Son, and Spirit (Matthew 28). That's not water. It is our spirits being immersed into the Holy Spirit - and by union, the Father and Son as well.

Jesus said in Acts 1 that John baptized with water, but the disciples would be baptized with the Holy Spirit. That means - no water.

You quoted Acts 2 above. Where's the water? You and many others are so programmed to believe that baptism is synonymous with water, that you can't see what Scripture says.

You asked for verses in your OP, and I gave them to you. It's mentioned in every gospel. John baptized with water. Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit. It's plain as day. Jesus said it in Acts 1. John said it and it was recorded in every gospel account.

Luke 3:16 - John answered and said to them all, “As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

What else do you need?
Why did Phillip immerse the eunuch in water if Jesus never commanded it?

Old 10-23-2021, 05:41 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I have heard many say that baptism is a “work.” How is something Jesus commanded a work? How can it be considered “works based salvation?” Can someone give Scriptural support for this teaching? Thanks in advance.

The Bible says this maam: (1 Peter 3:21) . . .Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

But although most are baptized, few are saved according to Jesus Mat 7:14. It is a public demonstration of your faith Kate. James points out that faith and works, is what saves, which Jesus pointed out in his parable of the talents.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
born of Water... human birth

born of Spirit... spiritual birth

It is not a water baptism. He's talking about the birth process.

John 3:4-6 - Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Also - there is nothing WRONG with baptizing in water... it just doesn't do anything... except be a visual testimony to others.
It also follows the example that Jesus gave us.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Some people sure do work hard to avoid doing what Jesus did. That's how I see it.

My brother was absolutely determined not to be baptized. He may still not be baptized, I don't know. It has nothing to do with whether or not he considers himself a Christian by the way. He just dug his heels in and decided not to do it. Well, alrighty then.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:41 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
At the time of our immersion in water, we are forgiven and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. We are immersed into the Holy Spirit at this time. We are added to the Lord’s church in that moment. There is only one baptism, not two separate ones as you have suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Read Acts chapter 10. Cornelius and his household (Gentiles) received the Holy Spirit BEFORE they got water baptized.

Then read Acts 8:14-16. The Samaritans had been baptized in the name of Jesus but did not receive the Holy Spirit until a later time when Peter and John laid hands on them and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit.

The only people who were told to be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit were the Jews (Acts 2:38)
Quote:
I believe you have missed a very important point concerning Acts 2:38. Verse 39 is key to understanding who baptism is for.

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 2:39 “For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God our God will call.”

This promise was to continue throughout the ages, until Jesus comes again.

The phrase “afar off,” iis referring to Gentiles. Ephesians 2:17 bears this out. Those Paul refers to in the Ephesians passage as “near” are Jews. Those he refers to as “afar off” are Gentiles. There is no disputing this.

Here is the passage in context.

Ephesians 2:14-18 “For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in his flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that he might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
And he came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near for through him we both have access by one spirit to the Father.
I haven't missed anything. I simply replied to your claim that ''At the time of our immersion in water, we are forgiven and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'' I directed your attention to the fact that neither the Gentiles nor the Samaritans received the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized. Only the Jews were told that they would receive the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized and this had to do with their involvement with rejecting Jesus as the Messiah and handing him over to the Romans to be crucified.

The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit before being water baptized and the Samaritans didn't receive the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized but had to wait until Peter and John arrived to lay hands on them. The reason for this was because the Jews hated the Samaritans and would not have believed that they were part of the church. So two apostles - Peter and John had to come and lay hands on the Samaritan believers to demonstrate to the Jewish believers that they were in fact part of the church.

Other than the Jewish and Samaritan exceptions all Church-age believers receive the Holy Spirit at the moment they believe in Christ just as the Gentile believers in Acts 10 did. Not when they get baptized in water which is simply a ritual which illustrates what happens at the real baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is both a teaching aid and a public declaration of one's faith.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:48 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
I have heard many say that baptism is a “work.” How is something Jesus commanded a work? How can it be considered “works based salvation?” Can someone give Scriptural support for this teaching? Thanks in advance.
After one's baptism, I suppose Matthew 24:14; 28:18-20; Acts 1:8 could be considered as doing a ' spiritual work '.
It has nothing necessarily to do with any material work but the fruit of one's lips - Hebrews 13:15

Since one must have biblical knowledge before one dedicates oneself to God 'before' baptism then it is a spiritual work of Bible study and Bible research leading up to presenting oneself for Baptism.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:52 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Why did Phillip immerse the eunuch in water if Jesus never commanded it?
I don't know. Neither do you. People do stuff.

Show me where Jesus commanded baptism in water.

I gave you the Scriptures that state it plainly in repeated places that Jesus baptizes with the Spirit. Why do you neglect this?

Last edited by DRob4JC; 10-23-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 12:02 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
No, I don’t pick up snakes, but Paul did, literally. The signs Jesus talked about (casting out demons, speaking in tongues, taking up serpents, drinking anything deadly, and healing) have ceased. Those gifts were given to the early church to confirm the gospel. Christians today confirm the gospel with the written word of God. .
Please keep in mind that Mark chapter 16 ends at verse 8.
The add-on verses are spurious verses:
* after verse 8 the style of writing changes
* after verse 8 there are Not the corresponding cross-reference verses as there is with the rest of Mark.
* after verse 8 both Jerome and Eusebius both believed Mark 16 ended at verse 8.
* after verse 8 we wrongly find in verse 19 that Jesus was resurrected to Heaven that day.
Resurrected Jesus did Not ascend to Heaven that day but later gathered with followers - John 20:19
So, Paul was Not 'snake-handling worship' but merely shaking off a snake.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:02 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It also follows the example that Jesus gave us.
Jesus was baptized in water for a specific purpose specified in John 1:29-35... it was for identification purposes. It was not an example.

Jesus never taught or told anyone to be baptized in water. Water baptism was always identified with John the Baptist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity