Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The word confess in Greek is homologeo. The Greek word logeo means "to speak." The word logic comes from it and means "a discussion of principles." The other part of homologeo is the prefix homo. When we say something is homogeneous, we mean it is the same. So homologeo means, "to speak the same." Confessing your sin is not begging for forgiveness; it is saying the same thing about your sin that God says--that it is sin and is your fault. Confession is an agreement with God that you have sinned.
When I confess my sin, I am not saying, "God, please forgive me." When you became a Christian, how much of your sin did God forgive? The Bible says, "...your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake" (1 Jn. 2:12). All of your sin is forgiven. Confession is not a matter of forgiveness; it is a matter of agreeing with God that you are a sinner and are willing to deal with sin. Jesus has already paid the penalty for all of my sin, and it doesn't have to be paid again. Ephesians 4:32 says, "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God, for Christ's sake, hath forgiven you." You are already forgiven; confession is just agreeing with God that you are at fault. - *The Problem of My Life: Sin* --* John MacArthur
All well and good. The issue we were discussing however is if it is done willingly. Did you forget what we were talking about?...LOL

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is...you are a fool on a fools errand...it is talking about believers who, even though not working, are reckoned righteous because of their Faith...Even an Idiot can see that...You just go ahead and believe as you wish to believe because it makes you feel good...your condemnation will be well earned...
I'm more than happy to be a fool and an idiot in your eyes if that means believing the Gospel. Trust me, I've been called worse...LOL

Actually, those who do not believe that God is justifying (present tense) the ungodly are as yet, of the flesh and not born of the Spirit. They are as yet, not reckoned with the righteousness of God. Did you know that?

It's clear you've not grasped the difference between the terms justifying and reckoning. But that's OK, Calvin didn't either.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 02-12-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
From Scripture...And taking it for what it says...
I believe for you it was option 3...LOL And I think you know it too.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I'm more than happy to be a fool and an idiot in your eyes if that means believing the Gospel. Trust me, I've been called worse...LOL

Actually, those who do not believe that God is justifying (present tense) the ungodly are as yet, of the flesh and not born of the Spirit. They are as yet, not reckoned with the righteousness of God. Did you know that?

It's clear you've not grasped the difference between the terms justifying and reckoning. But's that OK, Calvin didn't either.
your teachings are Gnostic in nature...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is...you are a fool on a fools errand...it is talking about believers who, even though not working, are reckoned righteous because of their Faith...Even an Idiot can see that...You just go ahead and believe as you wish to believe because it makes you feel good...your condemnation will be well earned...
Actually, in going back and reading what your thinking we may be discussing two different things and perhaps the reason for your outburst (I do recommend anger management...LOL) You've used the term reckoned through faith, which is true. But that's not what I'm getting at here. Let's look at the verse again:

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

The high-lighted text in blue is discussing the believer. The believer's faith is reckoned (not justified, but reckoned) to righteousness.

The high-lighted text in red is discussing the impious whom God is declaring righteous (justifying) on the merits of Christ's death for His sins on the cross. The act of justifying is not the same act as reckoning. The impious are called impious (ungodly) because they do not believe the Gospel. Think Saul here, if you will, prior to coming to faith as Paul. The impious are as yet, not reckoned to righteousness through faith. But they are justified, by Christ alone, at the cross.

Does that help you?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
your teachings are Gnostic in nature...
Only scripture my friend. I know nothing about the Gnostic's. In all truth, I received this from the Holy Spirit. I see it with more clarity than the sun on a hot Alabama summer day...LOL

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 02-12-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Added text

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Only scripture my friend. I know nothing about the Gnostic's. In all truth, I received this from the Holy Spirit. I see it with more clarity than the sun on a hot Alabama summer day...LOL
If you are as learned as you attempt to imply then you do know about the Gnostics...

Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
If you are as learned as you attempt to imply then you do know about the Gnostics...
I hope I'm not implying anything of the sort. I've heard the term Gnostic but know nothing about what they believe. And don't want to. A soiled mind is hard to recover from...LOL

I sold all my reformed books, commentaries and doctrinal treaties many years ago (some 1,500 books or so, too many to remember). You might even have a few of them on your book shelf...LOL Pink, Bunyan, Gill, Owen and Hoeksema were my favorites. I would imagine those are yours too.

Now I only have 4 bibles (KJV, LITV, YLT and the ASV 1901ed. to compare it's WH text against the Textus Receptus), 1 Concordance, 1 Greek/English interlinear (Marshall), 1 Greek/English lexicon (Thayer), and 1 Treasury of Scripture Knowledge for cross referencing purposes.

I call on Jesus (Jehovah God) daily to cleanse me from sin (I have much), to strengthen my faith (I have little), and to bring the Holy Spirits truth into my mind with clarity. I'm unchurched with no formal bible studies or teachings to go by. But I do have opinions...LOL Jesus saved me when I was a teen and I'll never forget that day. That's all the knowledge I have to go by.

So no, I know nothing about Gnostics.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
You are a Gnostic...and a Heretic...your condemnation will be well deserved...
Wow ... Thanks brother ... I love you too.

May God be with you and may he fill your life with love and understanding.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, in going back and reading what your thinking we may be discussing two different things and perhaps the reason for your outburst (I do recommend anger management...LOL) You've used the term reckoned through faith, which is true. But that's not what I'm getting at here. Let's look at the verse again:

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

The high-lighted text in blue is discussing the believer. The believer's faith is reckoned (not justified, but reckoned) to righteousness.

The high-lighted text in red is discussing the impious whom God is declaring righteous (justifying) on the merits of Christ's death for His sins on the cross. The act of justifying is not the same act as reckoning. The impious are called impious (ungodly) because they do not believe the Gospel. Think Saul here, if you will, prior to coming to faith as Paul. The impious are as yet, not reckoned to righteousness through faith. But they are justified, by Christ alone, at the cross.

Does that help you?
Impiety has to do with Christians not with unbelievers...how can a non-believer have the lable impious attached to him when he does not believe nor is a part of the christian community in the first place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity