Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Impiety has to do with Christians not with unbelievers...how can a non-believer have the lable impious attached to him when he does not believe nor is a part of the christian community in the first place...
Impious = ungodly = everyone who has ever lived on planet earth.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,582 times
Quote:
Impiety has to do with Christians not with unbelievers...how can a non-believer have the lable impious attached to him when he does not believe nor is a part of the christian community in the first place...
I'm glad you bring this up. Let's look at what our English word impious means in the Greek:

ἀσεβής -
Basically it means godless, without fear and reverence of God. It does not mean irreligious, but one who actively practices the opposite of what the fear of God demands. Asebḗs is one characterized by immoral and impious behavior.
-Cribbed (stolen) from Robinson's word studies.

Here is each occurrence of this unique word ἀσεβής in the NT:

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

Rom 5:6 For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious;

1Ti 1:9 having known this, that for a righteous man law is not set, but for lawless and insubordinate persons, ungodly and sinners, impious and profane, parricides and matricides, men-slayers,

1Pe 4:18 And if the righteous man is scarcely saved, the ungodly and sinner--where shall he appear?

2Pe 2:5 and the old world did not spare, but the eighth person, Noah, of righteousness a preacher, did keep, a flood on the world of the impious having brought,

2Pe 3:7 and the present heavens and the earth, by the same word are treasured, for fire being kept to a day of judgment and destruction of the impious men.

Jud 1:4 for there did come in unobserved certain men, long ago having been written beforehand to this judgment, impious, the grace of our God perverting to lasciviousness, and our only Master, God, and Lord--Jesus Christ--denying,

Jud 1:15 to do judgment against all, and to convict all their impious ones, concerning all their works of impiety that they did impiously, and concerning all the stiff things that speak against Him did impious sinners.'

Are these the "believers" () within the Christian community you're speaking of? LOL Perhaps they are . They are faithless. Yes, indeed, they do not believe in the God of the bible: Him who justifies the ungodly. A truth well spoken...

The Holy Spirit has declared that Jesus died for the impious. And on those merits alone, God is (present tense) declaring them righteous. They are justified before Him!

Those who do not believe that God is justifying the impious, are not true believers in the God of the Bible. They are not reckoned to righteousness, as yet. Their faith is not in the God of the Bible. They believe in a false god. An idol who does not justify the ungodly. However, the scriptures teach of a true God. A God who is a true Saviour, who saves and justifies the ungodly:

Isa 43:11 I--I am Jehovah, And besides Me there is no saviour.
Isa 43:12 I--I declared, and saved, and proclaimed, And there is no stranger with you, And ye are My witnesses, an affirmation of Jehovah, And I am God.

Take notice of the above, verse 12. Jehovah God, the true God, (who is not an idol that most believe in) states four things:

1. Jehovah has declared. He declared the impious justified (declared righteous):

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

2. Jehovah has saved. He saves the impious by the blood of Jesus on the cross:

Rom 5:6 For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious;
Rom 5:8 and God doth commend His own love to us, that, in our being still sinners, Christ did die for us;
Rom 5:9 much more, then, having been declared righteous now in his blood, we shall be saved through him from the wrath;

3. Jehovah has proclaimed. He proclaimed the good news to the impious in the Gospel:

1Co 15:1 And I make known to you, brethren, the good news that I proclaimed to you, which also ye did receive, in which also ye have stood,
1Co 15:2 through which also ye are being saved, in what words I proclaimed good news to you, if ye hold fast, except ye did believe in vain,
1Co 15:3 for I delivered to you first, what also I did receive, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Writings,
1Co 15:4 and that he was buried, and that he hath risen on the third day, according to the Writings,

4. Jehovah claims He is God. This is the God of the bible. He is not the god most who claim to be Christian believe in.

Believe in God, not your idols. Believe in Jehovah. Believe in the Gospel.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 02-15-2010 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
This is interesting: What DID the Early Christians Believe? – Introduction (SECTION INDEX)

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM

I'm going to be very bold this morning and take this thread to the next level. I think it's time to look at this from God's perspective.

The only persons that are reckoned and imputed with Christ righteousness are those that believe in universal redemption. That's right. UR!!! The one's who believe that God justifies the ungodly. And you know what? We're all ungodly. We're all impious. And we're all justified before God based upon what Christ did for us on the cross!

Yep, the UR'ies, the Unies, the ones mocked for being such. They are the ones that believe the Gospel. The Good News! They believe in Jesus and what He did!

Those who believe in ET are not reckoned with Christ's righteousness, as yet. They do no believe that God justifies the ungodly. They do not believe in the Gospel and they do not believe in the true God of the bible. They believe in idols!

Did that flip your tables this morning?...LOL Sorry if I spilled your coffee!!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I'm going to be very bold this morning and take this thread to the next level. I think it's time to look at this from God's perspective.

The only persons that are reckoned and imputed with Christ righteousness are those that believe in universal redemption. That's right. UR!!! The one's who believe that God justifies the ungodly. And you know what? We're all ungodly. We're all impious. And we're all justified before God based upon what Christ did for us on the cross!

Yep, the UR'ies, the Unies, the ones mocked for being such. They are the ones that believe the Gospel. The Good News! They believe in Jesus and what He did!

Those who believe in ET are not reckoned with Christ's righteousness, as yet. They do no believe that God justifies the ungodly. They do not believe in the Gospel and they do not believe in the true God of the bible. They believe in idols!

Did that flip your tables this morning?...LOL Sorry if I spilled your coffee!!
Well said, Alabama. He, he . . . great morning wake-up call to those still under the veil of ignorance from reading the OT.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
"People who say they will first die and then arise are mistaken. If they do not first receive resurrection while they are alive, once they have died they will receive nothing."
Gospel of Philip (73.1,4)

Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Quote:
"People who say they will first die and then arise are mistaken. If they do not first receive resurrection while they are alive, once they have died they will receive nothing."

Luke 20:38 "Now He is not the God of the dead but of the living; for all live to Him."

What did you think was after death?

Ecc. 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,705,401 times
Quote:

I find it interesting that you quote a gnostic gospel on the one hand and accuse others for being gnostics as well.

Gospel of Philip

Quote:
Because of the contents, the eccentric arrangement, and the literary types exhibited, it is likely that The Gospel of Philip is a collection of excerpts mainly from a Christian Gnostic sacramental catechesis. It explains the significance of sacramental rites of initiation, the meaning of sacred names, especially names of Jesus, and provides paraenesis for the life of the initiated. It interprets Biblical passages, particularly from the book of Genesis, makes use of typology, both historical and sacramental, and, as catechists do, argues on the basis of analogy and parable. In these and other ways The Gospel of Philip resembles the orthodox catechisms from the second through fourth centuries.

Bentley Layton writes (The Gnostic Scriptures, p. 325):

The work called The Gospel According to Philip is a Valentinian anthology containing some one hundred short excerpts .................

Hans-Martin Schenke writes (New Testament Apocrypha, vol. 1, pp. 182-183): "the Coptic version of the Gos. Phil. which has come down to us in one copy must - as is the rule for Coptic literature - represent a translation from the Greek. Greek is probably also to be regarded as the original language in which the Gos. Phil. was composed. We can only estimate how much time lies between the composition of this Greek original and the emergence of our witnesses. The only fixed point at the other side, the terminus ante quem non, is the activity of the gnostic leader Valentinus (in Rome about 138-158), since the Gos. Phil. contains clearly Valentinian teachings,

Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,076 times
Hmmmmm...looking at it from God's perspective....Alabama...I believe you just took a bite of the fruit.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Hmmmmm...looking at it from God's perspective....Alabama...I believe you just took a bite of the fruit.
Is not this scriptures perspective? That is how scripture proclaims it. Is it not?

Look: Rom 4:5 But to the one not working, but believing on Him justifying the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 02-15-2010 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: added text with red high lighted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity