Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP's opinion is "too early to tell" give it another week or two. Besides, summer is not flu season. Flu and colds normally decline once summer comes.

I believe that Covid-19 spreads more easily indoors like the regular flu. Evidence backs this up. So we would see a decline as things warm up and people go outside. Assuming their local governments allow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 09:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In truth, projections in Southern states are showing that peak infection rates have slowed dramatically and COVID-19 incidents are well below the capacity of existing ICUs and hospital beds. This website lets you review the data. Scroll among all the states and you'll see this holds true throughout the region.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...rica/tennessee

None of this, by the way, is an invitation to complacency. But I doubt anyone can dispute that emerging data shows that some regions of the country have been afflicted at far lower levels than others, and the reason for that stems from a variety of reasons. Population density is one of those.

For example, the NYT published an article that compared various states in how well they were achieving social distancing based on how far individuals in each state travel on average per day.

Predictably, the article took Southern states to task for not practicing social distancing nearly as well as their counterparts in the Northeast and West Coast. Yet there was a flaw in the model, namely that it really didn't take into account population density and its subsequent effect on how many people with whom one might have contact in a day.

For example, if I make a foray to the grocery store, it's an eight-mile round trip drive to the grocery store. Yet I'll encounter far fewer people than I would in a two block walk on Manhattan.

The point of all this is that it is not a good idea to lock down the economy of one state based on the conditions in another state, for the data is showing that COVID-19 is spreading at a far slower and far more manageable way in some states versus others.

As long as reasonable care is undertaken, then, it becomes possible to restart the economy without having another massive outbreak.
Welp. Guess that didn't happen.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think the main takeaway is that most red states have a totally different lifestyle model that inherently helps reduce transmission.

I live in a small city in Tennessee. I have a family member in Queens. I live in a townhome - I'm the only one or entering my home. She lives in a large apartment building with who knows how many people entering and exiting common spaces. I drive a car everywhere and never use public transit. She uses public transit and does not own a car. I'm working from home. She's effectively furloughed now, but worked in an office at a heat pump company. I can go to Sam's and Walmart and bulk purchase. How she's going to do that without a car?

My lifestyle, even assuming roughly the same % of infected people in both areas, is going to make it far less likely that I get infected than she will.
Very true. IMO though NYC has fewer dead had Cuomo closed 75% of subway stations by 3-15 until 6-1. Then positioned cops at the other 25%, only letting one entrance stay open at each, and only allowing essential workers on with id verifying place of employment.

Subways were the petri dish IMO.

and nursing homes where Cuomo also failed big-time ina deadly way.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:20 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
As Andrew Cuomo said, the governors of Texas, Florida, Arizona & a few others played politics with this virus and they lost.

There were people on here saying it was a "New York problem." Well, whose problem is it now?

Old 06-27-2020, 08:41 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I believe that Covid-19 spreads more easily indoors like the regular flu. Evidence backs this up. So we would see a decline as things warm up and people go outside. Assuming their local governments allow that.
Seems that wasn’t really accurate

Old 06-27-2020, 12:32 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
And what are some governors who didn't want to crack down before now doing?? Trying to close or RE-close businesses. And NOW they're trying to get people to social distance, or wear masks.

Some arrogant leaders of Arizona, Florida, Texas, and several other states in the South and West have egg on their faces.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And what are some governors who didn't want to crack down before now doing?? Trying to close or RE-close businesses. And NOW they're trying to get people to social distance, or wear masks.

Some arrogant leaders of Arizona, Florida, Texas, and several other states in the South and West have egg on their faces.

With a combined 36 million population, Texas & Az have only 80% the covid deaths of Ct who has 3.5 million population.

Florida also has under 80% Ct deaths by covid, and Fl has over 5x Ct's population.

NY was the covid epicenter and botched how it handled it, adding thousands of deaths. Ct sadly emulated NY practices with horrible results.

I'm not terribly concerned about cases rising when it is largely doing so with folks under 40. The will beat it, develop herd immunity, something we badly need.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Seems that wasn’t really accurate
Likely because it’s too hot and/or humid in AZ, TX, FL... to do much outside right now so lots of people gathering indoors.
Not sure why people didn’t think of that when touting the whole “heat will reduce cases” mantra, but here we are.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:26 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Likely because it’s too hot and/or humid in AZ, TX, FL... to do much outside right now so lots of people gathering indoors.
Not sure why people didn’t think of that when touting the whole “heat will reduce cases” mantra, but here we are.
Yeah no one can do anything outside in those states. It’s a shame that’s not true, plenty of people are going outside but back to the assumption about the virus. The hope was the virus spread would slow with heat and that’s simply not happening, it was never an assumption that most or all of the population would be spending a lot of their days outside

Old 06-28-2020, 10:16 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
As Andrew Cuomo said, the governors of Texas, Florida, Arizona & a few others played politics with this virus and they lost.

There were people on here saying it was a "New York problem." Well, whose problem is it now?
I don't get this slavish lionization of Andrew Cuomo, who blew off the consensus of public health experts and shoved coronavirus patients into nursing homes--where the most vulnerable populations live. And he did this in April, long after the danger and the mechanics of transmission were well known.

An estimated 6,300 people have died of coronavirus in New York nursing homes since then.

https://news.yahoo.com/ny-state-dems...141123595.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics